Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

are people going jdm now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default are people going jdm now?

seems to me a lot of xb's are going to old school looks and doing 15" and 16". am i wrong?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am going old school 15" and 16", but not necessarily JDM. I dig the simple and classic designs.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll be like this for a while, old school? i don't know

stock 15's, comfy ride
Old 10-06-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

some guys are going VIP/Exec. styling commonly in CA. it's the trend now.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sid_xBicious
i'll be like this for a while, old school? i don't know

stock 15's, comfy ride
Those are very rat-rod, just add some strategically placed primer
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes JDM is the new craze. its the new "carbon fiber" to have JDM parts.

at least on SL it is anyway. my car i am building JDM style so i guess you could classify it like that, but im not going to follow any guidelines, i do my own thing.

VIP craze seems to be taking over as a subcategory of the JDM wave. im more of a JDM Eurosport fan my self, but its all opinion.

but yea, it seems a lot of people are going JDM with their camber and 40 offset
Old 10-06-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VIP is the craze now. I do like the VIP look, but you have to drop too much $$$$ to get it done. By the time you're finished, you'll realize you have spent almost the same $$$$ or over the price of the car(stock).
Old 10-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

There have always been a few who favored the JDM and ViP styling from the orignators in Japan. Some are strict about following a certain style, and others will mix slightly.

I've had bB parts on my xB for a while, and now moree people are catching on.

M@ and Dave Mopulton have always been strict followers of the ViP style, and now Mark and Dave are taking it to a new level. Not too mention Freddy and his xA and Steve's xB.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel
M@ and Dave Mopulton have always been strict followers of the ViP style, and now Mark and Dave are taking it to a new level. Not too mention Freddy and his xA and Steve's xB.
Don't forget MyBoX - most VIP xB yet! Hey what's M@ been up to, lately? Who got his wheels?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There have always been a few who favored the JDM and ViP styling from the orignators in Japan. Some are strict about following a certain style, and others will mix slightly.

I've had bB parts on my xB for a while, and now moree people are catching on.

M@ and Dave Mopulton have always been strict followers of the ViP style
the best VIP xB in the US. i just wish I can see it in person.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stankubrick
Don't forget MyBoX - most VIP xB yet! Hey what's M@ been up to, lately? Who got his wheels?
I know who... ...
Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's funny to me to read about what the next craze is. Can't we just not focus on the lateset fad and build what we want? Why does VIP have to be a fad? some are using small wheels cuz it's a cheap "mod", maybe. I don't consider my buildup being a fad sinceI have been going with VIP/Euro for almost two years. But most people are buying and changing and buying and changing. Bandwagoners I think. Like the Civic and now the 240SX. What a bandwagon that is.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well for me personally i like to catch things right before they actually get big. I was doing Equip 03's about 2 years ago when people thought it was stupid to get small wide low offset wheels. Now its starting to catch on, So i must move on. Thus the whole move to the VIP theme. I do believe though this is where i am staying. My Box might actually be for sale. So we will see what happens.

But to answer your questions. The whole JDM thing has been going on now for at least 2 years. JDM CRAZY!! haha.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Some of you guys crack me up.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just do your thing.....
hardest person to satisfy is yourself!!
Old 10-07-2005, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
It's funny to me to read about what the next craze is. Can't we just not focus on the lateset fad and build what we want? Why does VIP have to be a fad? some are using small wheels cuz it's a cheap "mod", maybe. I don't consider my buildup being a fad sinceI have been going with VIP/Euro for almost two years. But most people are buying and changing and buying and changing. Bandwagoners I think. Like the Civic and now the 240SX. What a bandwagon that is.
I have to agree with those words, I had a civic for like 6 years, and was doing the JDM thing when all the kids who love it now thought it was all ugly and it looked "stock", I had some 16" wheels, just a lip kit, and some Japanese interior parts, and the same people following the fad now are the same people that said "you have a stock interior? why did you pay soo much for those stock parts?"...its a personal goal, which is what it should be for everyone, I hate seeing these posts "should I get this?"...yes, opinions are nice, but opinions are like a-holes, we all have them, and most of them stink...if you like a part, "F" what anyone else says, are you building your car so they can drive it? or are you building it so they can drive it?...I'm really just starting to hate the acronym "JDM" also, its been way too vastly overused by kids who don't know what it is, or no nothing about the "japanese tuning style"

and as for M@'s wheels...I know who has them too (pics coming soon whenever it stops raining, its been raining now for about 2 weeks straight, everyday )
Old 10-08-2005, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

everything old is new....only the terms are new
Old 10-08-2005, 10:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's the new "it" thing. yeehaw...... jump on the bandwagon ya'll.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

"jdm" stuff inthe car market has been present in this industry for about 10 years now. It was kyosho here in socal that did all that and all the guys that use to street race that now professionally drag race w/ their hondas and etc. I remember back in the days when you had 15's you were the man. there are different trends everywhere and to me there is no hottest trend. Its all up to what people like, some people like jdm stuff, some people like ricer, and some people like the ghetto bling. It's all based on preference. As far as this forum goes it kinda goes split at what part of america you are from. In cali, the "jdm/vip" this has been the in thing for the past 4 years. To me its personally played out, dont get me wrong i love japanese made products for my cars as their products are always going to be superior to cheaply made stuff. lately its been getting played as everyone thinks their ride "is the jdm shiznit yo". overused overplayed terminology.

as for the xB (bB for you anally retentive people) i would say dave mutlon is prolly the only true real "jdm/vip" show car guy here in socal. Others just claim to be. It's not a "new thing" its been around forever...people are just catching on. i wouldnt say my car is jdm or anything.. i just run all japanese parts, but i dont follow the "criteria" of how a typical "jdm/vip" car should be i just do what i like. dave is going ***** to the wall w/ the vip thing lol look for the car at the varad booth at sema. its gonna be off the hook! matts car up north is a good example of a jdm/vip car also. hahajoeys is clean. uhhh who else. oh yeah freddy..his xA is a good example of VIP exec. just simple clean to the point. all quality parts went into that car. umm who else..anyone wanna add?
Old 10-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it depends on what you classify as JDM too. technically if you look at it, theres lots of classes of JDM.

theres JDM American, JDM Euro, JDM Sport, JDM Luxury, JDM VIP, and then combinations of those too. so if you want to say it, i guess almost everyone is JDM

even if you have some ugly 20s and TVs in every place imaginable, thats JDM American. take it as you will.

i wish people would start doing their own style more than what some trend is or what a specific style says you should have.

scott

Quick Reply: are people going jdm now?