Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Picking up my xB TODAY!!! (advice request from n00b)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default Picking up my xB TODAY!!! (advice request from n00b)

So we're supposed to leave in a couple of hours to drive four hours to Denver and pick up my SALSA RED toaster. There wasn't one the right color FS anywhere in CO, so we had to call & call 'til we found a dealer who could track one down out of state & have it shipped. ($450 shipping charge, owwwch!)

I'm only getting a couple accessories: iPod stereo upgrade, LED taillights, 7-spoke wheels & armrest. I already have plans for some custom gfx (my toaster's going to have the same tattoos as I do!), a spoiler, lowering it and dropping in a subwoofer in the back (thanks for the thread with the links to cargo space subwoofer enclosures!!). I've been reading threads here since I knew I was getting it and appreciate all the good advice (& spirited debate).

So... anyway... if you were a very vain and image-conscious girl with a darling SALSA RED xB, and you had $1000 to spend on making it even more hip & fly than it already was... what would you do? Honestly, looks and sound are more important than performance, and I don't want to do anything that's going to kill my MPG. But handling & power are nice too, right?

Thanks... cross your fingers that the delivery truck actually got there last night & we'll be good to go this afternoon!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member

Good Golly Miss Molly! Save that 1k cash and buy your trinkets on e-bay or the like. All those items you are purchasing from the dealer are available online for a third less dough and yes they are genuine factory Scion parts. You are paying dealer mark-up on all those items if purchased from the dealer. As far as the $450 "Shipping" charge, that is a destination charge that applies to all new Scions, it is not specific to your vehicle. Wheels and tires are the best way to spend that thousand!

GT
Old 05-19-2006, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks GT... yeah, this is a shipping charge *on top of* the standard delivery charge, grrrr... but had to have the red, y'know?

I had them dd on all that stuff just 'cause I had financing for it... I'm self-employed, so the money's kind of feast or famine... and I won't have anything to spend on it until mid-next month some time. And I didn't realize how much cheaper everything was on eBay, etc., 'til I started hanging out here!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too bad you already ordered the 7 spoke wheels. If you can get away with having them switch back to steelies with hubcaps, do it. (Assuming they don't still charge you for the 7 spoke alloys.)

The single best way to individualize a car and make it stand out form the pack is stance. Get yourself a set of drop springs. I recommend Tanabe DF210 2" drop springs. Then get yourself some new rolling stock. 17" is great for a plus sized wheel that maintains a decent tire. Those two items would pretty much eat up your budget, but would make all the difference in the world.

If you have specific questions about any upgrades just post up to the appropriate forums and you're sure to find plenty of people willing to help.

Congratulations on the new purchase. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="RedMolly"]Thanks GT... yeah, this is a shipping charge *on top of* the standard delivery charge, grrrr... but had to have the red, y'know?

Jeepers Creepers! Those sharks charged you an additional 4 fitty for shipping?? What a scam, usually they can do dealer trades at no cost, even out of state trades! Like the other dude said, stance, wheels and tires make all the difference in the world, they single handedly set your rig apart from the masses. Of course I'm still rollin' on the stock steelies at this point, but my day is comin'

GT
Old 05-19-2006, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for all your help, y'all... keep it coming... I esp. appreciate the advice on specific drop springs to get! OK, I'm going to show my total idiocy here: where do you go to get stuff installed? I'm surely not going to do it myself... and I live in truck-with-gunrack territory, I'm not sure if there's a good local place to get it done. How do you find someone who will do a competent job and not rip you off for (a) being a girl, (b) being totally clueless?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Fusion
SL Member

Hello RedMolly,

What part of Colorado do you live? My name is Chipper and I am the President of Scion Fusion, a club in Aurora. We would like to welcome you to the Scion Family!! If you get a chance take a look at our website www.scionfusion.com, we have chapters in Ft Collins and we a starting a new chapter in Colorado Springs on June 3rd. Again welcome to the family.

Thanks,
Old 05-20-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ There you go. Get yourself involved with a local club. The peeps there are usually all too happy to help. I know that I've personally have lowered 5cars at no charge to anyone. Mostly for the experience and the hanging out. I've also have given up some of my stuff that I have changed to other peeps too. So, get involved and make new friends and I'm sure you'll meet someone that can help you with those mods. PEACE!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want it to be an all weather vehicle, taking it skiing, for example, then you don't want to lower it, at all. That holds true if you cross a bunch of speedbumps in your normal travels, too... or drive much on gravel roads. Lowering is peachy in places where it doesn't snow, and the roads are good...

If you do ski or snowboard, then you'll want the Yakima rack with appropriate attachments. The initial install is a little weird, but nothing you can't sort out- the instructions are good, and the hardware is excellent... It'll come off easily for storage when you don't need it. Or just leave it on to blend in with the other utility vehicles in your neck of the woods... Mark the attachment points inside the door channels to make reattachment easy.

The rear bumper applique looks great on any of the lighter colored vehicles, and is also functional and easy to install. Should look really great on the red, in particular... Any kind of black exterior accessories will look good- license plate frames, aftermarket grille, headlamp kit, and they install with little more than a screwdriver.

All kinds of easy stuff for the interior, too- maybe the aluminum diamond plate floormats, carbon fiber dash trim kits, shift ****, whatever suits your taste and budget.

The one thing that will improve handling enormously is a rear sway bar, the Performance brand bar being excellent, and easy for any decent shop to install in less than an hour... And the TRD sport muffler or similar looks good, and gives the car a little bit of attitude... again, the installation is a snap for a professional.

And a killer wax job is very necessary- I'm hoping to get the Zaino on my new thundercloud this weekend...

Let me guess... four hours to Denver... Grand Junction?