Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Pioneer in dash dvd player with nav install....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Pioneer in dash dvd player with nav install....

I purchased the Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash dvd player with nav. I was wondering if anybody else has this unit. It says to hook this unit up to the speed sensor to give accurate readings. Does anybody know which wire is the speed sensor wire. I looked online briefly to see if there was anything threre, no luck. If any body has a wiring diagram, that would be great!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry I can't be more helpful but someone on here installed a Camry navigation unit in their xB going back a few years. they posted instructions and the person tells you which wire is the speed cable.

Take a look in the tech section in might be in there.

fwiw,
- sh00k
Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If the nav unit works off of GPS, why would it need to be hooked up to a speed sensor?
Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The Vehicle Speed Signal is on a black connector (second in from the drivers side, under glove box, Pin # 17 Violet/White wire. The wire comes out of the connector on the right side, and is easy to locate. This informaton is taken from my cruise control installation instructions. The instructiions state it is a white connector in the installation instruction, but it is black. The violet/white wire is the give away.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
If the nav unit works off of GPS, why would it need to be hooked up to a speed sensor?
LOL - correct me if im wrong, isn't that how gps works? some GPS' show you the speed your going, calculate the time you're going to get there and these are things that all rely on vehicle speed.... this is why you gotta use the connector.

i also know that gps software calculates ur speed based on where u were the last time the satellite was queried vs where you are now.......... im guess though but that's as much as i know. maybe it's a use of both? i duno

another thing - some units won't play dvds if the car is moviing so that's another reason they attach it to a vehicle speed sensor wire..
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Then why do the GPS widshield units that plug into the cig lighter work without the connection to the speed sensor?
If the wire connection is only there to keep you from playing DVDs while in motion then just leave it disconected.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
LOL - correct me if im wrong, isn't that how gps works? some GPS' show you the speed your going, calculate the time you're going to get there and these are things that all rely on vehicle speed.... this is why you gotta use the connector.

i also know that gps software calculates ur speed based on where u were the last time the satellite was queried vs where you are now.......... im guess though but that's as much as i know. maybe it's a use of both? i duno

another thing - some units won't play dvds if the car is moviing so that's another reason they attach it to a vehicle speed sensor wire..
Then why do the GPS widshield units that plug into the cig lighter work without the connection to the speed sensor?
If the wire connection is only there to keep you from playing DVDs while in motion then just leave it disconected.
Its quite simple.. its ment for more ACCURATE estimates of time, and also when going up or down a hill it cen get accurate speeds, and when going through tunnels in which you dont have any GPS signal.

The ones that mount on the dash guess most of the time.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the Pioneer AVIC-D3 is not a GPS navigation system. It uses a navigation disc, therefore it needs your speed sensor to tell the navigation software where you are
Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Oh, OK I'm being schooled in this stuff right now. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

thanks, Im going to install tommorrow. Yes I know its a disc Navigation, thats why it needs the speed sensor hookup. The "safety device" that keeps the DVD player from not working works off the parking brake hookup. Thanks for the tips. Ill let you know how it went....
Old 02-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Scion Evolution

ok does everyone know that you have to just take off the a/c ***** and pop the middle center piece to install a stereo? because I had no idea when I installed my double din.