Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Rear washer nozzle: less dribble, more spray?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear washer nozzle: less dribble, more spray?

Living in the Midwest, I use my rear windshield wiper washer quite a bit. However, I don't like how it just runs down the back. It doesn't really get the window clean.

Has anyone replaced the stock unit with something hat actually sprays the rear window for more coverage?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Rear washer nozzle: less dribble, more spray?

Originally Posted by Sushiboy
Living in the Midwest, I use my rear windshield wiper washer quite a bit. However, I don't like how it just runs down the back. It doesn't really get the window clean.

Has anyone replaced the stock unit with something hat actually sprays the rear window for more coverage?
Maybe mount another motor inline near the rear of the box to give it some more power. It is quite a long run for a single motor.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the problem lies with the nozzle more than the motor, though.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry..I am in SoCal and have no need for the rear wiper/nozzle.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I removed my wiper and the nozzle. That's the future spot for my rear-view camera!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

I feel your pain.

I think Heathen is right though. It's not so much a function of a bad nozzle, but a pump that needs to push the fluid along 10 feet of hose. That's a lot to ask from such a small pump.

I'm going to experiment though and we'll find out for sure. We're supposed to have a nice weekend here and I should be able to check a couple of things out. I'll post up if I come up with anything good.

-Alex
Old 01-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have a little experience here, although not automotive-related. I suggest a larger diameter hose. I have not tried this in an automotive application, but it worked well on another project of mine (think refrigerators and how slow water comes out of the door filler.)

Drinking through a big straw is easier than a coffee stirrer.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MMMmm sushi. Dammit man, now I got to go get my fix. Yellow tail, squid, and bbq'd eel are my favs.

Increase the hose diameter and there will be less resistance in the line for the small motor.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
I think Heathen is right though. It's not so much a function of a bad nozzle, but a pump that needs to push the fluid along 10 feet of hose. That's a lot to ask from such a small pump.
Yup!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's something weird..... On my white business box the rear squirter has only one hole and yes it just kind of dribbles out. However, the TCM personal box has a two hole squirter that actually has enuogh pressure to make it work the way it's supposed to. Bought 'em about 6 weeks apart. What's up with that?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MMMmm sushi. Dammit man, now I got to go get my fix. Yellow tail, squid, and bbq'd eel are my favs.
Yes, I hear ya. I'm a sushi fiend. I can't get enough if it!

Here's something weird..... On my white business box the rear squirter has only one hole and yes it just kind of dribbles out. However, the TCM personal box has a two hole squirter that actually has enuogh pressure to make it work the way it's supposed to. Bought 'em about 6 weeks apart. What's up with that?
Hmmm....that's interesting. One of the nicest washer nozzles I had on a car were on my old Ford Focus. The hood-mounted sprayers shot a fan of mist instead of a stream. I think that'd be what I'd ultimately want. Then again, it's probably hard to aim one on a flat surface, such as the xB's rear glass.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by dittoprinter
Do either of yours have steering wheel controls?

At the moment there is only one part number for all years of xB rear washer nozzles. I do wonder, however, if the 2006.5 models will have an altered rear nozzle. The easiest identifier of a 2006.5 model is the wheel controls.

-Alex
Old 01-14-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
Originally Posted by dittoprinter
Do either of yours have steering wheel controls?

At the moment there is only one part number for all years of xB rear washer nozzles. I do wonder, however, if the 2006.5 models will have an altered rear nozzle. The easiest identifier of a 2006.5 model is the wheel controls.

-Alex
Neither has the steering controls.... Except for the paint, transmission and hubcaps everything else is the same. It's the TCM w/ auto that has the "good" two squirter apparatus. It, however, has the 8 spoke caps, I'd take just about any other style in trade if anyone is interested. I'm planning on some new rims later to ultimatly fix that problem.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep looking for the nozzle & don't bother w/the hose or the pump. There is a sufficient AMOUNT of liquid coming out. It just needs to be controlled more efficiently at the end (the nozzle).

Think of a garden hose. A limp dick with nothing on the end, but restrict the flow just right & voila! You can hit your neighbor's house...WITHOUT increasing the pressure OR the diameter of the hose.

It's the nozzle. Let me know if you find anything.

While you're at it, let me know if you find anything better for the FRONT sprayers too...you know, the ones that shoot liquid with enough power to break the damn windshield, but deposit it in 6 very small spots. Yeah, those. And don't tell me to get a larger motor or hose.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You said 'limp dick.'
Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xActly
While you're at it, let me know if you find anything better for the FRONT sprayers too...you know, the ones that shoot liquid with enough power to break the damn windshield, but deposit it in 6 very small spots. Yeah, those. And don't tell me to get a larger motor or hose.
The front sprayers for both of mine work great. It's the rear one on the PW box that has a GM design flaw the TCM's is acceptable. But, in Toyota's defense I can't remember ever seeing a rear window washer that was worth a darn.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Swapped the rear wiper nozel off my element one day with the xB...works much better....i wouldnt call it a spray (its hard to get a spray to get on the rear window at that angle, plus while your driving the wind blows the spray all over the place...but its got three little jets, one to the left, right and down the middle...comes out alittle more pressured then the stock nozel, but best of all it get the whole rear window wet so the wiper doesnt just push around dirt on the rear left side like it does with the stock one cause it doesnt have enough liquid...
(oh, and it still looks stock, same color, and same size (about 1/24" bigger, no whoop))
Old 01-17-2006, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have a solution...

Move to So. Cal.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reckon the better squirter is a front nozle put on by mistake?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, but the front nozzles have three squirters per nozzle, where as the rear only has one.

Quick Reply: Rear washer nozzle: less dribble, more spray?