Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default Regrets?

just curious, do any of you xA owners ever feel regret after purchasing the car?
did you trade in, or felt to rushed into the xA and then felt regret afterwards?
do you have any regrets at all?

just curious.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member

NOPE!!

I love my car. I smile everytime I see it! I love driving it, it is a LOT of fun to drive. I took my mom for a ride in it and she really got to look the car over, and now she is going to buy one. I really love my car.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I love mine!!!
the only thing that bothers me a lil is the lack of power, but really no biggie; the great gas mileage easily makes up for it
Old 09-14-2004, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I own an xB, but the same principle applies:

I regret my purchase now, since being told that for every import purchased (instead of a domestic), 2 mechanics lose their job.

I feel sad and regretful for doing that by purchasing a Scion.

Then I remember that I'm a selfish bastard who doesn't care.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member

i absolutely loooooooooove mine :D i treat my XA as the first day i got it!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member

keep the opinons coming, this is helping me decide if trading my protege5 in is really going to be worth it.

i guess what im really wanting, is your guys' opinions on the car. i know the car lacks in the power department, but power is not the reason im thinking of purchasing the car, its reliability, conveinence, and safety. just something to get me from point a to point b.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"just something to get me from point a to point b"... sounds like you are certainly looking into the right SEGMENT of cars, what else are you considering? We're talking cars under 15k, right? New cars only? I don't think you have any better choice than the xA if thats what you are looking at.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member

15k is my limit.. and i think 16k could be the absolute MAX. i just want something for general use, i dont plan on going mod crazy, but we all know how that can change...

basically, i want something reliable, safe and that has good gas mileage. i also want something with a good warranty, doesnt have to be brand spanking new, but it needs a warranty... cause things break.

this seems to be the best car for what im looking for, i just want some other opinions on what to expect, and what not to expect.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No complaints about the car here.I Love it! I wasn't planning on adding anything to mine either, but ended up ordering:
Intake,Header,Exhaust,Springs,Strut Bar, and Wheels of course they're all backordered.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member

"basically, i want something reliable, safe and that has good gas mileage. i also want something with a good warranty, doesnt have to be brand spanking new, but it needs a warranty... cause things break"

YES, YES and YES... 60months or 100K warranty. Very Reliable. (Safety is debatable just like with any car.. i doubt that it safe to go crash into a tree ;) hehe).. although for such a small car.. it has a really great handle. I spend 10 a week for gas.. does that help ;) well, my work is 10 miles roundtrip daily
Old 09-14-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my car. my only regret (although it couldn't be any other way), was that it isn't a manual tranny. but, other than that....i have 30k miles on mine...and it's still running strong
Old 09-14-2004, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by empleh
i have 30k miles on mine...and it's still running strong
Here's to hoping we can all say that at 200k!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I bought my daughter a 4dr Echo auto and my wife an xA standard. They both love the cars. The Echo gets better milage and has more room. The xA is a bit smaller, more fun to deive, and has a european feel to it which my wife loves (she's french, as in freedom fries). Because they are both basically the same car underneath, (with the xA having some suspension upgrades, ) I'd get an Echo for the roomeyness, better milage, awsome storage. But the hatch on the xA is great.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

No regrets here after purchasing my XA. I love it, and it is fun to drive.

I have the AEM cold air intake, TRD sport muffler, and I upgraded the exhaust from the 1.75" pipe to 2.25". Gives it a nice increase in power, great for getting on the freeway, passing, going up hills. Got 30 mpg on the last tank of gas.

The car is very roomy for how small it is. I always have my rear passenger seats laying flat. I can load it up with groceries, or bring home 8-foot baseboards. The car is small, so it fits easily in tiny parking spaces.

I don't miss my 5.0 Mustang GT.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by naoki

I regret my purchase now, since being told that for every import purchased (instead of a domestic), 2 mechanics lose their job.

think about why this is. mechanics are needed to fix those domestic cars.

i think this even justifies buying imports. having imports be more reliable means creating competition, which is the heathiest thing that the US economy can see according to economists.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im loving my xa by the way.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I’m expecting my xA to arrive in the next couple of weeks. It will be the first brand-new car for me after 20 years of driving used cars. I keep feeling my feet getting cold, as if maybe I will chicken out and buy another used car, like a Corolla or an Echo. I keep wondering if I’ll regret such an “extravagant” expenditure.

But then I think back to what always happens when I buy a used car with high mileage that has not been taken care of as well as the seller claimed. Inevitably, after abut 100K-125K miles, a car I paid $2K or $5K or whatever for starts costing another $500 to $1,000 a year in repairs. After four or five years, that old car is a $10,000 money pit.

So now I do the math: A brand-new xA, well cared for, could last me 20 or more years with oil changes and a couple of timing belts. At $13K off the lot, it’s a bargain.

Sounds to me like your goals (reliability, MPG, safety, convenience) are steering you in the right direction. You didn’t mention how old your Mazda is, but unless it’s all used up, maybe it would also be a good deal to hang on to it, especially if you are the original owner.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I love my xA. It's great when you need to find parallel parking, the gas mileage is awesome...and it's so damn cute. I love it and I don't regret buying it.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hnefrdo

think about why this is. mechanics are needed to fix those domestic cars.

i think this even justifies buying imports. having imports be more reliable means creating competition, which is the heathiest thing that the US economy can see according to economists.
I hear ya on that. I was being sarcastic about it being a reason not to buy an import. It just ____ed me off when I heard that, from a friend who's dad is a mechanic. She refuses to buy an import because of that "fact." I didn't even know where to begin to try to tell her how incredibly stupid it is to buy a domestic based on THAT assumption.
Not that it's stupid to buy a domestic in general, don't want to offend anyone who believes quality has nothing to do with import vs. domestic.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What redneck moron told you that? As long as Domestics keep breaking down there will always be mechanics needed to fix those pieces of junk.

Its not like when you take your Japanese car to service they have dudes from Japan fix it, it is Americans just like you, same Americans that work on domestic cars, fixing your xB. Maybe they lose their jobs with Ford or GM but they have now created need for jobs at Toyota where those same people could work. It's all just a see-saw effect.

Quick Reply: Regrets?