First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Roll of Port vs. Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Roll of Port vs. Dealer?

Hi again,

Now that we have official word from Toyota/Scion that the salsa red xB with steering wheel audio controls will hit western dealers end of December, I'm sure I'll be getting one. It's exactly what I've wanted all along. However, I've been thinking about another question I once posted here. Before my new xB gets to the port, can anyone answer my questions below?

Judge
>>
Hello all,

I've been mostly lurking for a while, searching previous posts and articles as I shop for an xB. I'm a thorough researcher. I have been to over 12 dealerships "interviewing" the Scion sales force. With few exceptions, I am underwhelmed. Far too many Scion representatives are uninformed, and don't even know it. ScionLife has been tremendously valuable to me. I'm a far more informed shopper, that's for sure.

However, there is still something I don't understand. Even after all my searching, I'm not totally clear on what the "port" does. I know the factory in Japan builds our cars and loads them on ships. I know those ships deliver those cars to various ports in the US. I know the port loads the cars onto trucks for distribution to dealers. But then it gets hazy. Can anyone clarify the roll of the port with regard to the following?

* Why does the port sometimes install accessories, and sometimes the dealers does it? Who decides and why?
* Is it possible there is a difference in quality of work done at one over the other?
* If I want installation done at the port, is ordering a car through a dealer the only way to do it?
* Does the customer pay the dealer installation price even if installation was done at the port? If yes, how can that be right, given that dealers can charge different amounts for installation?
* Who does the port work for? In other words, is the port an extension of the factory's assembly process and therefore obliged to uphold factory quality standards? Or, is the port more geared to servicing the dealer network and has dealer priorities in mind, for example, speedy delivery?

Lastly, I don't live far from a southern California port.
* Can I go there and see vehicles coming off ships or being loaded onto trucks?
* Can I see the installation of accessories happening?
* Does the port interact with customers in any way?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable folks who can explain all this to me. Thanks to the rest of you for reading this long post.<<
Old 07-31-2005, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Salsa Red Pearl is not slated for availability until EOY 05--you're looking at Jan/Feb 06 for delivery on that color along with Flint Mica. Camo and BCP are on their way out. You can order now, but you'll be waiting months to drive it home. SRP is a great color, but didn't want another SRP in the garage.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

>>Salsa Red Pearl is not slated for availability until EOY 05--you're looking at Jan/Feb 06 for delivery on that color along with Flint Mica. <<

Eric,

I keep hearing/reading that salsa won't be available for months, but no one has said why. Seems strange to put the sample in all the dealerships, but not have the color available. Especially a color already in existance on Toyota vehicles, no less.

One theory I've heard -- from a Scion dealer, actually -- is that the '06 RS 3.0 will be either salsa red or flint mica. But again, no one seems to know for sure. If true and if the RS is salsa, I can wait. But, I'm a little afraid the package will come with accessories I don't want to pay for, which I'll have to accept to get the color. Sheesh, what does a guy have to do to buy a red box around here?

Thanks for the reply. I still hope to hear about my port/dealership question, too.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if its a release series car. you have to deal with the "BASE" acessories.

like the 1.0 xB had a hotshkis (sp?) tower brace and color keyed seats and orange lighting

the 2.0 has exhaust and a sport grille

the cost for a release series varies and is stated on the website.

salsa red is a brighter black cherry pearl. you can find it on the current model year Prius.

if you go to your dealer telll them you want a salsa red for 06' and what options you want on it. expect to wait a while. when scions first came out on the east coast, their was a 2 month waiting list. i waited a week for mine.

good luck. and the scion.com site isnt the greatest for info.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are pics of our 2004 Salsa Red Prius. Taken in the morning, so the "pearl" effect of the paint doesn't really show up. Even in bright sunlight, it's hard to see how bright the paint is from a digital photo. These 3 pics will give you a basic idea--just picture a much brighter BCP color like someone wrote earlier.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2123355314

We waited 4 months (we were quoted 6-8 at contract) for this Salsa Red. At the time our dealership had almost 200 names on the waiting list for 2004 Prius. Now, the wait is about 2 months.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it was me, I'd be more into checking the car over. Even when buying it new. And, yes, I mean under the hood, under the car, basically every inch of it. The question I would ask the Scion dealership is "Will you put this on a lift for me, so that I can look underneath?" If they say no, go to another dealership.

The important thing here is your new vehicle. Everybody checks for scratches, but they forget to check everything else. If you don't feel comfortable checking it out, hire or find someone to help you check over the car.

Can you tell I was burned badly? ............... New vehicle.....

I have to admit there was the day if I could have picked it up at the port, I would have, but, I've learned how to breathe since then. Even if it was with my new baby "XB". (I checked every inch of it though).

But, if you really want to know about the port, just ask the receptionist/secretary at the Scion dealership. They usually know it all, or know who to send you to that does know. Call up the port and ask what they do with their salvaged vehicles, ask the security guard what he has seen in the past? Now, that's where you'll get what's going on. He'll know everything, and usually they'll talk to you for the longest time. What boat company does it come over on? What happens to the vehicles that are damaged on the boat? Does the port have a paint booth? Why? I know. I know.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a little more that might help answer your questions.

There are many laws between a dealer and a car maker that has to happen in order for you to purchase it. One of them being it has to be state inspected at the dealer. It varies from State to State. I don't know if they can inspect it at the port for the State. Check out your state laws on the rules of owning a dealership and how to start one up. It's all there in writing. There are also federal laws, check into those.

As to the difference of installation at the port and the dealership, it all depends on who is the installer. Has he had any alcohol? Is he mad at his boss? Is he mad at the customer? Did he argue with his wife? You have a lot of different things that could be going on.

Sorry, I got so off topic before.