scangauge ll

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Improbcat
This is my SG II install:

I tried it in the dash pocket like was mentioned above, but it was too low for me, I had to take my eyes too far off the road to read it. Mounted here I can glance at it as easily as glancing at the speedo. At some point I will probably drill a hole in the dash and run the cable from behind the unit, but I'm not willing to drill a hole in such an obvious location just yet.
Nice!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried it in the dash pocket like was mentioned above, but it was too low for me, I had to take my eyes too far off the road to read it. Mounted here I can glance at it as easily as glancing at the speedo.
The pocket behind the steering wheel isn't as easy to see, but is less conspicuous. I'd be concerned about someone breaking in to steal it. Besides, it's not like you need to look at it constantly? I've got mine set to RPM, MPG, air temp, and water temp. I usually only look at it when I'm stopped or at a constant speed cruise.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stew32
I tried it in the dash pocket like was mentioned above, but it was too low for me, I had to take my eyes too far off the road to read it. Mounted here I can glance at it as easily as glancing at the speedo.
The pocket behind the steering wheel isn't as easy to see, but is less conspicuous. I'd be concerned about someone breaking in to steal it. Besides, it's not like you need to look at it constantly? I've got mine set to RPM, MPG, air temp, and water temp. I usually only look at it when I'm stopped or at a constant speed cruise.
I have mine set to display MPG, and I am constantly referring to it to see what my MPG is so I can optimize my driving. I'm not too worried about it getting snagged, mostly because it doesn't *look* valuable, not like a GPS or something. And my box is all stock so it doesn't attract much attention.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I want one of these bad but can't get one till I find a job.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a good product but my only beef is the light, i can read it during the day but out of nowhere the light went out, now at night i cant see crap!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and btw ive only had the scnagauge 2 for 7 months and i dont move it, my xb is the only car its been in
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by mijos87
oh and btw ive only had the scnagauge 2 for 7 months and i dont move it, my xb is the only car its been in
Sounds like a warranty issue. Is it not covered for atleast 1 year?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a good product but my only beef is the light, i can read it during the day but out of nowhere the light went out, now at night i cant see crap!
Stupid question .... but sometimes the easy fix
Were you using one of the custom color settings and did you 0 out all the settings? Or from the main Display screen did you press Off on the lamp by accident, try the low and high settings. Both of those will kill the light and a change should bring it back. Otherwise yes call up for warranty they are great folks over there. Or give me a call if you want to run through the display options.
-Zack
209-658-8686
Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohh lol i lost that little book and well i didnt keep the box either... dumb mistake but whatever, and no its not turned off, sometimes it does come on all on its own and then i hit a bump and it turns right back off lmfao but its cool im still happy with it
Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 AM

Default ELM 327 USB unit

Has anyone tried the Elm unit that plugs into the car's diagnostic port? The USB unit sells for $75 but it requires software and a PC to get readings. It is available on the ALPHA-BID website. Not as mobile as Scangage II but not as expensive either. Would appreciate feedback if you have used this product.
Ron
Old 03-08-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: ELM 327 USB unit

Originally Posted by rphatton
Has anyone tried the Elm unit that plugs into the car's diagnostic port? The USB unit sells for $75 but it requires software and a PC to get readings. It is available on the ALPHA-BID website. Not as mobile as Scangage II but not as expensive either. Would appreciate feedback if you have used this product.
Ron
i have seen it and used it before. the elm unit is a lot more accurate and can tell you things that the scan gauge cant. it just depends on what your looking for. if you just want a lil more info while driving,the scang gauge would be the best. but if you want some thing that you can use to like repair and tune your car with then go for the elm.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No holes to drill, out of sight, but easy to look at.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohh lol i lost that little book and well i didnt keep the box either... dumb mistake but whatever, and no its not turned off, sometimes it does come on all on its own and then i hit a bump and it turns right back off lmfao but its cool im still happy with it
You can download a manual here... http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGMan5_0.pdf

If you need it corrected just be sure to call tech support before the warranty is up.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by flying_toaster
Ron
i have seen it and used it before. the elm unit is a lot more accurate and can tell you things that the scan gauge cant. it just depends on what your looking for. if you just want a lil more info while driving,the scang gauge would be the best. but if you want some thing that you can use to like repair and tune your car with then go for the elm.
I feel the ELM USB unit is what would serve my purpose. May I ask if you have used a particular software with the ELM that you could recommend? It appears there are free versions and also non-free versions available. I presently use Vag-Com from Ross-Tech which is primarily for German cars so I don't know if it would work with ELM. Thanks.
Ron
Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by flying_toaster
Ron
I feel the ELM USB unit is what would serve my purpose. May I ask if you have used a particular software with the ELM that you could recommend? It appears there are free versions and also non-free versions available. I presently use Vag-Com from Ross-Tech which is primarily for German cars so I don't know if it would work with ELM. Thanks.
Ron
you know what, i cant. me and my friend were using it on his car a while back and i dont remember wat software he used with it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is my SG II install:

I tried it in the dash pocket like was mentioned above, but it was too low for me, I had to take my eyes too far off the road to read it. Mounted here I can glance at it as easily as glancing at the speedo. At some point I will probably drill a hole in the dash and run the cable from behind the unit, but I'm not willing to drill a hole in such an obvious location just yet.

U wont have to drill a hole just pop out ur speedometer trim and run it behind that trim peice
Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sold. Ordering one now.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42

No holes to drill, out of sight, but easy to look at.
That's exactly where I put mine. It's very clean.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone purchased the software upgrade or has purchased a newer scan guage 2 with X-GAUGE aka add-a-gauge? This new software is suppose to allow you to display horsepower.. if anyone has this, how does it work? Does it seem accurate?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't know about accuracy but the scangauge should come with it already. I got mine from 365motorwerks and it was ready with the x-gauge stuff. I think I had to program a few values in. that was it though. I don't use it much as a HPR gauge but I know I can choose it as a gauge.

Quick Reply: scangauge ll