SL Member

None.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Keitaro
Demographic: 1 & 5(although I am single...ladies call me )
Ditto

Motives 1 & 5 as well. I think that was a GREAT writeup and a GREAT topic, but I think the motives are more accurate than the demos - let's see we've got young, old, female w/job, guy w/kids, and business owners...that just about covers every demo, right?

sorry I guess I forgot hermaphrodite on welfare.

Originally Posted by cliffy1
The tC is easy though... its a person under 28 or the parents of a person under 28.
and 95% female, right? or is that just unique to my geo area?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My reasons:

1) Headroom: My biggest reason for xB over xA was the fact that I hit my head on the door frame when I got into the xA for the first time. Also, too many cars I've driven had me hitting my head when going over moderate bumps. xB=Max Headroom

2) Fuel Economy: My old Jeep was the Barney of gas guzzlers. Wasn't so bad back in the 99 cent/gallon days, but the day it cost me $50 to fill up I swore to have at least 30 mpg

3) Passanger room: I have a big family.. as in, we're all fat asses. Not really, but most of us struggle to fit in the backseat of even the most spacious sedans. The xB is almost more comfortable in the backseat than the front.

4) 'Different' look: I liked my Jeep because it had a unique style that made it a Jeep. The xA and tC are both nice vehicles, as are every other sedan and wagon out there, but they all look the same, just with an extra curve here or there. The xB looks like what would happen if a Delivery Van got the Monster Garage treatment.

5) Cool ad: I admit it, the ads sucked me in as I'm a sci-fi freak.

I -guess- I fall under #1 of the original post.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a gas hog Avalanche that takes 80 bucks to fill up, The xB is much less, 17 mpg vs. 30 mpg. It's cool with the young folk, Fixes up nice, WINS Honorable mention trophy at honda car show !! And reminds me of my VW but better, WAY BETTER !! Mods are cheap as S * * T. I can get in and out better than any other car/truck/suv i have ever owned. Hell what more can i say....... The parts guy at the toyota dealer said to me " Your too bloody old for an xB man" I said i'm to havin to much bloody fun !!

Fit me right into all five i don't care......But maybe there might be 6 or even 7 catagories if you think on it longer .

Thanks for the statistics !!!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess my number one reason for buying it is b/c it doesn't look like anything else out there, and I like that. I've always liked the cars that went against the norm, and stood out in a crowd of look-alikes.

But close behind that:
1. $15K
2. Toyota product (reputation had a lot to do with it)
3. Back seat room, then front seat room (I'm the smallest of all my friends, so I needed more room for them than me..)
4. Did I mention $15K?

I was considering a Matrix as well, but for the price, I couldn't beat the box. I've had my fair share of crappy American cars (most recently a first year Focus - I know, I KNOW!) and I learned the hard way that unfortunately it's better to pay a little more for a better made car, but with the box I didn't have to - it's better made, and still inexpensive to buy!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
Scikotics
SL Member

I fall in the older group, but I bought it like a lot of us because of value and style. I love the way it looks. I am active in the Dallas Scion community and I am in better shape than 90% of the younger group, so it is not always older people needing easier access.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: A scion manager's perspective on xB buying motives

Originally Posted by cliffy1
1. The young person. This is Scion's target demographic and it does represent the bulk of xB customers. This is a young person who is looking to express his/her individuality. They are buying it because it doesn't look like their friend's Civic. It hauls stuff (I've sold a few to guys in bands) and people well. Its easy to customize and that is key. Its the VW Beetle of the new millenium.

So... where do you fall in this?
I guess at 26 (27 in Jan.) I would fall into this category. My wife and I were looking for an affordable car that had lots of room for our hobbies. We do a lot of camping and the xB fit the bill nicely. Plus, with Toyota's impeccible reliability I am sure they'll make a lifer out of me (which is the point of Scion, right?). Mark
Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am the family man who needed the room for the kid........but the car gives me a blank canvas to continue my car customing habit (now i have to split the funds between my box and my 65' Mustang).......and the gas mileage rocks.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

what if I only bought the car because I sell them and wanted to be as cool as the rest of my customers? j/k I love my box and I am not sure if I could continue to live without it, heh . . .
Old 12-31-2005, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I'm not getting older , I'm Getting Better"
Old 01-01-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually test drove it just on a whim when i saw they were on the lot. I wasn't seriously considering one, I figured it would be too small and too econobox cheap for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the test drive and the room inside and especially the low pressure sales pitch. After vascillating for 3 months on which car to buy and going on 8 or 9 test drives I decided to buy the Scion I test drove right there on the spot, it was the right color and it was the only 5 speed xB on the lot. I drove it home an hour later and never looked back.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member

I walked into the dealer wanting a TC till I sat in the Xb. When I saw the space, then drove it and enjoyed the handling... I was sold.

Theyre not perfect and sometimes I regret not getting the sportier car but overall I'm happy with the car.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would categorize myself in group #1. I was originally considering a Civic but given the standard feature content and space, I opted for the xB. I like being able to fit my bike in the back and being able to fold down the seats and make a bed. I associate the look with one of those wiener dogs, makes you look twice and you can't help but smile.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm group #5. Bought it casue I'm practicle and needed a no-brainer car to drive 24k mi. a year to get my kids to school every day and the grocery store etc. And, besides in 3 years it will make a awesome hand-me-down first car for my daughter who will be needing it when she gets her licence. So, really I just bought it for my kid but I get to put the first 75,000+ mi on it to break it in so to speak.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure where I fit in on the list.... 35, no kids, home owner with several vehicles. I bought the Xb as a commuter that can haul stuff/people when needed. I like the unique look, but don't plan to mod it much. Straight, and plan on getting married this year (again).... a little of most categories I guess.