Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion xB reliability - how does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear your xB hasn't been doing well. Maybe the engine produces too much torque for the clutch to handle?

In general, all-seasons with any performance pretensions aren't good in the snow. I started using winter tires a couple winters ago, and I doubt I'll ever go back to all-seasons. It's amazing what you can go through with decent winter tires. No need for AWD.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by beatdownXB
I've owned my XB for over 3 years and it has 40k on it.

I had a problem with the muffler tip rubbing against the bumper cover when I brought it home. Fixed that myself to save me a trip to the dealer.

I've taken it in for a rattle under the hood twice now with no fix for the problem.

I had a check engine light issue which was caused by a faulty 02 sensor.

I now have an exhaust leak between the header and downpipe due to deteriorated donut gasket.

I've noticed some clutch slippage under heavy acceleration going into 3rd gear.

I also hate the Goodyear tires that came stock as they are useless in the snow.

Overall if I had it to do all over again this is not the car I would by.
an exhaust leak and a rattle makes you not want to buy a car again ? the clutch is a known issue and has been for a long , long time

and almost all goodyears are total garbage
Old 10-27-2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by hotbox05

I had a problem with the muffler tip rubbing against the bumper cover when I brought it home. Fixed that myself to save me a trip to the dealer.

I've taken it in for a rattle under the hood twice now with no fix for the problem.

I now have an exhaust leak between the header and downpipe due to deteriorated donut gasket.

an exhaust leak and a rattle makes you not want to buy a car again ? the clutch is a known issue and has been for a long , long time

I didn't buy a new car to work on it. That gasket that goes between the downpipe and header is $50 just for the part. The rattle under the hood will only get worse until something fails so I can find it. These are problems I've come to except from my 15-20 year old cars, but then again I don't make a payment each month on them nore do I have to pay high insurance for them either. There are other things that bother me about the car like no cruise control, and a high reving 5th gear. I've also had a lot of bad luck with vandels, dent and dings, and other odd mishaps that have left me unhappy with my purchase.

Overall its not been a bad car for the money. I'm just ready to put this one behind me and go back to my old rides.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't buy a new car to work on it. That gasket that goes between the downpipe and header is $50 just for the part. The rattle under the hood will only get worse until something fails so I can find it. These are problems I've come to except from my 15-20 year old cars, but then again I don't make a payment each month on them nore do I have to pay high insurance for them either. There are other things that bother me about the car like no cruise control, and a high reving 5th gear. I've also had a lot of bad luck with vandels, dent and dings, and other odd mishaps that have left me unhappy with my purchase.

Overall its not been a bad car for the money. I'm just ready to put this one behind me and go back to my old rides.
None of what you describe are the fault of the car. Cruise control is an option, vandals, dents and dings are not because of the car. All your complaints sound to me like you bought the wrong car for your needs.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zombietime

None of what you describe are the fault of the car. Cruise control is an option, vandals, dents and dings are not because of the car. All your complaints sound to me like you bought the wrong car for your needs.
I think the man just had a bad experience with his xB, if I were him I'd be ____ed off too and wouldn't want to buy an xB again. No need to argue with him or debate the matter, a new car shouldn't come with unfixable problems.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive a Mazda Protege5, and perhaps my least favorite thing about the car is how easily it gets dinged. Sounds like the same might be the case with the xB.

Now collecting data on the 2006-2006.5, and getting closer to starting with the 2005. More participants would be very helpful.

Updated results for 67+ other models in a week or two.

Vehicle reliability research
Old 11-29-2007, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In response to requests, I've added a Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb) to my site.

Currently it's just possible to add common repairs to the database. When the database has been populated, owners will be asked to report whether or not their car has actually had these problems. So we can find out how common "common repairs" actually are.

My suspicion: usually less common than people think.

The form includes a field for a forum thread URL, so people can be directed here for thorough discussions if there is a thread discussing the repair. I hope this will help make more people aware of this excellent forum in addition to providing more details about the repair.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)
Old 12-24-2007, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should have my first result for the xB in February, for the 2006-2006.5.

Still need more participants before I can include older xBs in the main survey.

It's easy, I promise
Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couple more weeks. 17 responses so far. The result will be asterisked with fewer than 25.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Old 02-17-2008, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ended up with 18 responses. So a result will be included in the released on Wednesday, but with an asterisk for marginal sample size.

Let's get rid of that asterisk with the next update, in May. Need at least seven more participants.

For the details, and to help make it happen:

Old 03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Updated results in May, with a preview for participants about a month from now.

I hope to get rid of that asterisk, but it's going to be close. Another participant or two could make the difference.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mkaresh
Updated results in May, with a preview for participants about a month from now.

I hope to get rid of that asterisk, but it's going to be close. Another participant or two could make the difference.

I just entered my 04. I've only had the car for about six weeks, though. The carfax report said it went to the dealer for some of it's maintenance schedule, and has never been in an accident or had warranty work, so at least there's that. Basically, a solid car. Hopefully, it doesn't give me cause to enter much else into your database.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet of my fuel economy, too. So far, I've averaged 28mpg. Of course, the first couple weeks, I got really lousy mileage, because I just wasn't used to the car (coming from an NA 05 Impreza, relatively light clutch and higher strung engine of the xB had me giving it way too much gas all the time, but i'm still using less fuel than I ever did in my Subaru), but it seems to be getting better-- my last tank was 32mpg with an even mix of highway and suburb driving.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have an 05, i purchased it in oct 04. the car is an auto, and has 66k on it. about 60k, i noticed what seemed like some accesory noise. I put the car on the lift, saw nothing out of the ordinary. This weekend, serviced car, noticed water pump had a nice crusty pink coolant buildup coming out of weep holes on water pump. Iam assuming it was the bearing in the pump. My new water pump comes in tomorrow, and I will probably change the pumps this saturday. hopefully all is well afterwards.
No CELs or any other problems in the past though.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's interesting because I had a line of pink coolent spray on the hood liner right above the belt area last year and my coolent level is really low in the overflow bottle. Guess the pump seals are a little weepy.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I assume it goes without saying that if the water pump is leaking, don't wait for it to completely fail before replacing it.

But I'll say it anyway...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah but it is new like it happened a few months after I got the xB and I am not sure that it was actually the pump but probably a good guess. The coolent has some good sealer in it but I do keep an eye on the engine temp and coolent level.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sealer in the coolant?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the coolent actually has a sealer in it to take care of little leaks - reacts with air and turns solid like the pink stuff that sprays out onto the hood underside - regular antifreeze would just stay wet and green.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might explain a problem people have reported with the SRT Hemis in some Chrysler products. The coolant in those cars often had chunks of whitish gunk in it.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Yeah but it is new like it happened a few months after I got the xB and I am not sure that it was actually the pump but probably a good guess. The coolent has some good sealer in it but I do keep an eye on the engine temp and coolent level.
Well the pump is making one hell of a growling noie...those bearings aren't too happy.

Quick Reply: Scion xB reliability - how does it compare?