Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion's Fragile Plastic Bumpers: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion's Fragile Plastic Bumpers: What to do?

I've read many ScionLife threads about costly replacement, repairs or problems with all Scion bumpers: xA, xB & tC.

On several of my prior vehicles, I added bumper guards, protectors or grills to try to avoid costly front end or rear end damage. I've been rear-ended twice in my old Nissan light truck and each time the utility bumper protected the truck from costly body damage.

I would like to add something to my xB, but I'm unsure if what I'm considering will protect from body damage or just worsen the issue. I'm thinking of buying 4 Bumper Protector Pads from PerfectCar.net:

http://store.perfectcar.net/fa11-line.html

Also See: http://store.perfectcar.net/exterior...er-guards.html

I looked under the front of my xB to try to determine where 2 of the Pads should be placed. The best location was not apparent to me. Logically, the 5" L x 3-1/2" W 5/8" Thick Pads would be placed about 1/3rd and 2/3rds the width of the bumper, kind of like this:

======================
=====[XX]======[XX]=====
======================

Please comment on whether you think these Pads would help or hurt in low speed impacts, where the Pads should be located on the front and rear bumpers and whether you have any better ideas to protect our Scion bumpers and front and rear bodies. Thanks. :D RPM
Old 08-21-2004, 07:56 PM

yeah I was worried about it too and than I installed one of my own guards. Works great I just bounce off of stuff!

Old 08-21-2004, 08:38 PM

The bumpers will fall off before any damage occurs. haha

Old 08-21-2004, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Simple -- don't run into stuff. :D
Old 08-21-2004, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Old Punk
Simple -- don't run into stuff. :D
I won't run into stuff... I hope.

I'm worried about those other guys and gals backing into me or rear-ending me because they weren't watching the road! RPM
Old 08-22-2004, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you look under the rear bumper of the xB (I refer to it as a valance because its so flimsy) you will notice the fact that the rear "bumper" consists of a huge foam log covered by the valance...

case it point: those bumper "gaurds" arnt going to do ____ for the bumper. the flimsy thing will just crack/break anyways. save your money and upgrade your insurance to 0 deductible. that way if something happens thier is no worries!!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
well if you look under the rear bumper of the xB (I refer to it as a valance because its so flimsy) you will notice the fact that the rear "bumper" consists of a huge foam log covered by the valance...

case it point: those bumper "gaurds" arnt going to do ____ for the bumper. the flimsy thing will just crack/break anyways. save your money and upgrade your insurance to 0 deductible. that way if something happens thier is no worries!!
As you suggested, I looked under the rear bumper. I agree with you, the "bumper" is not really a bumper; it's a valance or curtain.

The bumper pads I was considering would probably only cause the valance to crack at the points where the pads are attached.

You're also right about having good insurance so it covers the replacement valance when it breaks. Thanks. :D

BTW, the 8/2004 issue of Consumer Reports estimates Bumper Impact repair costs for the xB to be:

Front: $702 / Rear: $641
(higher than average for the other small cars in the report)

RPM
Old 08-22-2004, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...the rear "bumper" consists of a huge foam log covered by the valance...
UnFocused: When I get under the rear I see the valance attached with plastic clips and 2 parallel square tube steel braces connected to the steel frame, but I don't see the "huge foam log." The space between the steel braces and the inside of the valance is hollow.

I have a 2005 xB; could my foam log be missing??? Wonder whether the dealer left it out when they installed the valance? My xB was one of the first that my dealer ever saw and worked on. :? RPM
Old 08-23-2004, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will go and take a picture to show you what I am talking about. im being scarcastic about the foam log. its a blackish grey foam thats spans the width of the rear and is 4-6 inches wide. you would no if yours was missing because your bumper would be hella flimsy! its already extreamly weak. Im afraid to but anything on it- let alone sit on it!
Old 08-23-2004, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will go and take a picture... ...hella flimsy! its already extreamly weak. Im afraid to but anything on it- let alone sit on it!
Thanks for your offer of the Pic. I look forward to seeing it.

I totally agree the 'valance' is flimsy, weak, and wouldn't take much to break.

BTW, I noticed in your Profile that you listed a mod called: "Invisaguard headlamp protectors." I found a website named InvisaGuard.com, but they seem to offer only InvisaGuard HSG - Automotive High Security Glass:

http://www.invisaguard.com/products.html

Could you tell me about the headlamp protectors you have including cost and availability. Thanks. :D RPM
Old 08-23-2004, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got them off ebay. i will try and search around for the website. I paid around $50 shipped. I put them on myself- and they are great! I forgot I had them! They are cyrstal clear and when my headlamps are on the housing looks clear, no chips ect. My Focus after 1 year of owning it looked like it went through hell and back with all those pin-head sized pits in the lights...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RPMxB

As you suggested, I looked under the rear bumper. I agree with you, the "bumper" is not really a bumper; it's a valance or curtain.

The bumper pads I was considering would probably only cause the valance to crack at the points where the pads are attached.

You're also right about having good insurance so it covers the replacement valance when it breaks. Thanks. :D

BTW, the 8/2004 issue of Consumer Reports estimates Bumper Impact repair costs for the xB to be:

Front: $702 / Rear: $641
(higher than average for the other small cars in the report)

RPM

the rear bumper cost around 130 not painted. so i guess the cost for everything would be around 300 bucks. If you attach the bumper yourself.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ..........

if happens, then it happens........thats what i say.....just gives a reason to get a kit hahah.....so some hit me....just not too hard.......dont want to total the car......but u got an idea....but i am just not feeling it.......