Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Security a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default Security a good idea?

I hear everyone say that you should buy them stock, then add. That is my plan, BUT I kind of want the security system so insurance rates are lower, and so my stereo is protected. Is it hard to install? It seems like it would be better to get it done by the dealer. Is it even a good or sensitive security system?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Security a good idea?

Originally Posted by sammyman
I hear everyone say that you should buy them stock, then add. That is my plan, BUT I kind of want the security system so insurance rates are lower, and so my stereo is protected. Is it hard to install? It seems like it would be better to get it done by the dealer. Is it even a good or sensitive security system?
the dealer one is overpriced and not as good. go to circuit city, best buy, etc... and get a better priced alarm with more options and upgradability
Old 10-31-2004, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scion security sucks overall.. if your gonna get any sort of alarm get an aftermarket, something like the clifford matrix or equivalent. i know there are a few companies that have the same options.

i have the clifford matrix rs 3.5 alarm with remote start and i love it.

most audio shops will install a good aftermarket alarm for less than the crappy scion security.

go aftermarket.. you'll get more options
Old 10-31-2004, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member

That seems like good advice, however, when I call my insurance company, they are like "is it factory installed".

Why does the scion one suck? I have had bad experiences with afterwmarket ones? Is it not sensitive, or too sensitive?
Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

why are you trying to get an insurance deduction for an alarm that is going to cost $300-500? is it factory installed, no, it's professionally installed, tested and optimized. Insurance deductions for alarms will no where near come close to the price, and it's more for piece of mind - the tC already comes with an immobolizer, the only thing I would like about an alarm is 2-way sets so I can actually know somebody's messing with my car when I'm somewhere. Look towards the clifford or a viper and if you have an automatic, remote start is a great option. the scion installed one sucks, bad. it just goes BWOOOP. and it's not sensative.

heck, an alarm is not worth it, if it gets stolen, claim it on your insurance and get a new car, it's not your liability if it gets stolen. Otherwise get a 2-way alarm and carry a crowbar with you at all times and when it goes off run after whoever it is and cold-clock them into next week.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Scion Alarm SUCKS I wouldn't recommend it to anyone you can get a way better after market one for less then the Scion one and with Way more features. the scion one basically only locks and unlocks your doors that's some thing that comes on your keyless entry already the glass breakage sensor I hope works there is no way of testing it other then breaking the glass. with that said I say don't waste your money
Old 11-01-2004, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
why are you trying to get an insurance deduction for an alarm that is going to cost $300-500? is it factory installed, no, it's professionally installed, tested and optimized. Insurance deductions for alarms will no where near come close to the price, and it's more for piece of mind - the tC already comes with an immobolizer, the only thing I would like about an alarm is 2-way sets so I can actually know somebody's messing with my car when I'm somewhere. Look towards the clifford or a viper and if you have an automatic, remote start is a great option. the scion installed one sucks, bad. it just goes BWOOOP. and it's not sensative.

heck, an alarm is not worth it, if it gets stolen, claim it on your insurance and get a new car, it's not your liability if it gets stolen. Otherwise get a 2-way alarm and carry a crowbar with you at all times and when it goes off run after whoever it is and cold-clock them into next week.
I've seen a guy do that defore :o

-nt