Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Sticking "Passing Gear"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Sticking "Passing Gear"?

I just got my '06 xB about two weeks ago. I LOVE IT although I noticed something unusual... When it kicks into passing gear it does not kick out right away when I let off the gas (like my other two Toyotas). Is anyone else having this problem? Is it a problem? It shifts fine otherwise.

Tom
Old 09-11-2005, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is fine. i wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

The problem is that you have a slushbox.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's exactly the way it is supposed to do. The computer in these guys are amazing. They learn how you drive as well as the driving conditions and actually get to anticipate what you will do next.
For instance, while I was "breaking in" my xb I drove very gently. Then as the miles added up, I started getting more aggressive with the throttle. Before, if I started to slowly mash on the throttle as it was upshifting it would continue to shift, hitting OD about 40mph. Now, as I slowly add throttle it will hold 3rd or 4th until I slightly letup before it goes to cruise mode.
It also knows when you are in the mountains after about 2 or 3 computer downshifts. Then it will start holding the lower gear longer until it knows it is either going downhill or level again.

Walt
Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone experience the autotranny not shifting from 2nd, to 3rd when motor is cold? The first time every morming my Xb will hang in 2nd for a little while before shifting. After that it's fine the rest of the day.

Mav
Old 09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by maverick1
Does anyone experience the autotranny not shifting from 2nd, to 3rd when motor is cold? The first time every morming my Xb will hang in 2nd for a little while before shifting. After that it's fine the rest of the day.

Mav
Yes! I keep thinking "shift, darn it, shift"
Old 09-11-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks guys. I was getting a little scared because they let me drive the tricked out model that they had for two days while my wifes Highlander was in the shop and it didn't do that. This site kicks ace. Thanks again.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jamesgang
Originally Posted by maverick1

Mav
Yes! I keep thinking "shift, darn it, shift"
It is normal while the engine is warming up. The blue temp light is probably on while you're seeing this, right?

I agree with newtmaker, these things are very intelligent and will adapt to how you drive it. Also, the "Grade Logic" is very smart. I rarely get improper shifts out of it when going up hills. In fact, it'll hold in third for so long cresting a hill I sometimes think I turned the O/D off. I hate when people who don't drive autos and maybe drove an auto xB for a few minutes have to knock it. I think Toyota did a great job with it and I don't exactly baby it, either...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
I agree with newtmaker, these things are very intelligent and will adapt to how you drive it. Also, the "Grade Logic" is very smart. I rarely get improper shifts out of it when going up hills. In fact, it'll hold in third for so long cresting a hill I sometimes think I turned the O/D off. I hate when people who don't drive autos and maybe drove an auto xB for a few minutes have to knock it. I think Toyota did a great job with it and I don't exactly baby it, either...
Intelligent? Intelligent? If these things were so smart we wouldn't be having this discussion. That is, the car would shift instead of "...hold in third for so long cresting a hill I sometimes think I turned the O/D off..."
Old 09-12-2005, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, the cold engine light is on, but still thought it was strange that it hung up in second gear so long. If it's normal I won't worry about it. Thanks

Mav
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jamesgang
Intelligent? Intelligent? If these things were so smart we wouldn't be having this discussion. That is, the car would shift instead of "...hold in third for so long cresting a hill I sometimes think I turned the O/D off..."

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. many autos i have driven in the past would've shifted before the crest, based on rpm, and would then realize they shifted too soon and downshift again completely blowing your momentum.

The things this post is talking about are things that seem different when comparing it to other auto trannies. Do you drive an auto and disagree?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. many autos i have driven in the past would've shifted before the crest, based on rpm, and would then realize they shifted too soon and downshift again completely blowing your momentum.

The things this post is talking about are things that seem different when comparing it to other auto trannies. Do you drive an auto and disagree?
I've misunderstood many - often. I do agree this vehicle shifts different from other automatics I've owned (I do drive an auto). Not only does it allow you to crest before shifting up - it allows you to go well down the other side. That's where the 'intellegence' is lacking.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it holds gears when warming up.