First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Strange Mechanical Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 04:35 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Strange Mechanical Failure

So, the wierdest thing happened to my baby the other day. She was handling fine, and i stopped at a light, preparatory to turning right. As I turned right and attempted to shift into second gear, I heard a horrible grinding sound from the right side of the engine. It was then that i noticed my power steering was gone altogether.

My mileage is just under 10K.

Anyway, i coaxed it into a parking lot. The dealership I had it towed to (Northtown) were very shocked. I guess im the first Scion theyve had to repair, given that I only purchased it 5 months ago.

It appears from what ive been told and my own cursory examination of the engine compartment that the serpentine belt frayed and got caught up with some other components. Northtown has also informed me that apparently the air compressor belt came off and messed up some other things and possible the air compressor might need to be replaced.

Thank God its under warranty. Im tootling around in the rental Mazda 3. It has more power than my baby, but when i was trying to play road slalom in heavy traffic i realized my xA was far more maneuverable. Hopefully she should be fixed by Saturday.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang thats some scary stuff. At least you get to test a Mazda 3. Seems if you dont like it that much, then why are the tC ppl so content on comparing the 2. Unless you just got the base model one with the 2L engine. Then I could see maybe why.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Loss of power steering in a turn can be exciting. I once got some bad gas in a Jeep and the engine died when I attempted to downshift after I had initiated a turn at an intersection. Nothing ahead but a monster ditch. I think that power steering is a mistake and not necessary in any light vehicle.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that stinks bro. I hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Strange Mechanical Failure

Originally Posted by iglcrair
but when i was trying to play road slalom in heavy traffic i realized my xA was far more maneuverable.
FUN AYE???

I've been running around like that a lot lately disregarding the mileage, but damn I'm having a hard time adjusting to just how short the xA is!!

I'll get into a tight squeeze and be shocked at how easily I slip right through weeee!
Old 09-25-2004, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chewd0g
but when i was trying to play road slalom in heavy traffic i realized my xA was far more maneuverable.
FUN AYE???

I've been running around like that a lot lately disregarding the mileage, but damn I'm having a hard time adjusting to just how short the xA is!!

I'll get into a tight squeeze and be shocked at how easily I slip right through weeee!
Everytime I park my xA I get right where I think its about the hit the curb. But every time I get out I always have like 2 feet of space in front of it. The car is damn short.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:59 AM
Banned
SL Member

What's with all these 1NZFE manual tranny issues :?:
Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member

Iglcrair, sup marine i guess the USN gods played a trick on you for that nice comment refering us Sailors to girls ;) haha its all good hoo raww you need a lift marine? MARINE = Marine arriving ready in navy equipment.

Sk3 - USN- Medically discharged.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:16 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL as a matter of fact, i DO need a lift!
I can always count on the Navy for a ride!

Actually, theres an apparent backorder on Scion aircompressors nationwide... its been 5 days and they tell me it might be 4 more until they get one. So im a little peeved, to say the least.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:17 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a week and a half later, its finally fixed. If this happens again im gonna invoke the lemon law. Still, they were totally polite and I didnt pay for a thing except the gas for the rental (which has a lower mpg than the xA, sadly).

Sometimes I think about trading up to an xB, and then i consider this:

Wheels look disproportional
xA intrumentation is more attractive
xBs are more common and therefore boring (2.5 to 1 - xB to xA)
Old 10-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Back In Black xA
Originally Posted by chewd0g
FUN AYE???

Everytime I park my xA I get right where I think its about the hit the curb. But every time I get out I always have like 2 feet of space in front of it. The car is damn short.
i thought i was the only XA that parked like that!