Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mikem53
Originally Posted by Match_Box
No issues with the AC here and i live in the Caribbean where our winters are 80 degree temperature..lol

There are some things i dont like about the XB, like the lack of a Water temp gauge, but its not something too big of an issue.. Most of the stuff you listed can be solved by modding it..
Good point... lack of gauges should have been number 11
Old 11-01-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

ac sucks in FL

needs a lower 5th gear, MAYBE A 6TH GEAR

seats with built in arm rests like the pt cruisers

bigger inside rear view mirror
Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theappe
Originally Posted by Match_Box
No issues with the AC here and i live in the Caribbean where our winters are 80 degree temperature..lol

There are some things i dont like about the XB, like the lack of a Water temp gauge, but its not something too big of an issue.. Most of the stuff you listed can be solved by modding it..
Good point... lack of gauges should have been number 11
i actually like that is DOESNT have gauges? if there are so many things wrong why did you buy it. you should stick to your z06
Why not read ALL the thread before you start saying stupid tihngs... Geezzz... never argue with an idiot... they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...
Old 11-01-2005, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The dynamic duo..

Old 11-02-2005, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would definitely feel underpowered after driving the Z06. Actually if the cooper S is turbo, I forget, then all of the cars you have listed would make it feel underpowered.

I agree with a lot of the stuff your saying. I too wish it had a little more grunt in certain situations. For the most part is serves me well as the commuter car I bought if for. Didn't want to get a Corolla or Civic(not current version) was my main reason for getting it.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rayman
It would definitely feel underpowered after driving the Z06. Actually if the cooper S is turbo, I forget, then all of the cars you have listed would make it feel underpowered.

I agree with a lot of the stuff your saying. I too wish it had a little more grunt in certain situations. For the most part is serves me well as the commuter car I bought if for. Didn't want to get a Corolla or Civic(not current version) was my main reason for getting it.
I'm not comparing it to my other cars... I am saying that the xB seems underpowered at times... MOST of the time it is adequate... but sometimes you need to merge and there is not enough there to do it.. Also a full load REALLY makes the box slow... but that doesn't happen often...
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, don't have to do that much merging on my commute. Stupid one lane highway for about 15 miles. There are two passes along the way but there're really no point passing because you always run into another slow car. Only had to take it on multi-lane highway about twice and wanted a little more pep on the merges.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its such a great little car for the price. To keep price down, keep all that stuff as options I say.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member

Making this as simple as possible let me ask this of Mikem.

What car with even a remotely comperable price has the features, comfort or drivability of the X?

I understand if you were a poor ignorant college student who just wishes he had a lexus. What I don't understand is why a person who has the cars you say you have would complain about anything.

If you want a lexus, obviously you can get one.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Underhill
Making this as simple as possible let me ask this of Mikem.

What car with even a remotely comperable price has the features, comfort or drivability of the X?

I understand if you were a poor ignorant college student who just wishes he had a lexus. What I don't understand is why a person who has the cars you say you have would complain about anything.

Every car has pros and cons... I am not slamming the xB... just commenting on what would make it better. I pointed out what I don't like... I also mentioned things I do like.. Obviously... I liked it enough to buy it. I drive this car the most out of all my cars... I enjoy it... I would enjoy it better if it had some of the things in the list I mentioned...
I can easily create a list of cons for any of my cars... It doesn't mean I wouldn't want to own them.... I'm content with the box... it suits my needs... its my beater car... I take it downtown, it carries yard crap for the lawn.. it does it all.. Can't do that with my other cars... I can but I need to make several trips... you get the point...
Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Underhill
I did own a Lexus... not too long ago... My wifes RX330... I hated it.. talked her into getting rid of it..
Its an overpriced sofa with wheels. No road feel, no handling... notihng... It had nav, rear camera, auto hatch closing thingy... yuck...
Would rather drive the box anyday.. I'm not a snob... I drive what I like, I don't drive to impress others.. The box handles pretty good.. easy to get in and out of too... funny lookin, hard riding... but its fun to drive... my wife likes it too.. shes says its easy to park and zip thru parking lots...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Then why did you buy an xB if you have problems?? Sell it if ya don't like it!!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Top ten things I DONT like about the xB

1- Power... I would gladly give up a mpg or two for more useable power. Power to merge, climb hills are nice to have

2- Thin sheet metal... Looking hard at the box can cause a dent.. Since the panels are tall, they should be beefier... just push on a panel and see for yourself... not too hard though..

3- Interior lighting... Are they having a bulb shortage in Japan? You can't see poop at night.. especially on the drivers side. The cruise control is also worthless in the dark.

4- Noisey.. Too much engine drone.. I like mechanical sounds... but the xB has some ugly sounds entering the cabin.. They could have used more insulation in the firewall area and made it a nicer place to be.

5- Weak AC... It works.. but can take forever to cool things down on a warm day... The weakest AC of any car around. The fix doesn't help much either.

6- Bouncy ride.. seems like they could have made the rear less stiff. The ride is good for the most part.. but they could have engineered a less stiff ride and still maintained good handling... My Z06 rides better and its very stiff.

7- Cheap butt plastic dip stick.. Why not provide a metal stick that won't warp, harden and break with time.

8- Drum brakes.. Geeezz.. I thought these things went the way of the Dodo bird along with carburators and vapor lock..

9- Paint.. It looks good... but it doesn't hold up very well... its like it doesn't stick good.. A floating piece of styrofoam will cause it chip..
I know the new paints are water based... but I don't have these issues with my other cars..

10- People asking me when do the Klowns come out....

These are my complaints... I still like the car... Its fun to drive, makes for a great run-a-bout, its economical to buy and maintain... but like anything else... its not perfect...
OK, MY TWO CENTS. Things I like about the car

1. power - enought to get me around and still keep me from speeding tickets
2. thin sheet metal - parts cheap to replace, and easy to work with
3. interior lighting - i like seeing whats outside, not inside
4. noise - easy to hear if something is going wrong.
5. a.c. - plenty to cool down, and doesn't draw much from engine.
6. ride - a little bouncy, but great handling for a vehicle like this.
7. dip stick - cheap to replace and i've bent my share of metal ones.
8. drum brakes - cheap to replace - we're not trying to stop a porsche.
9. Paint - gives me a reason to customize it to my likings
10. criticism - it's the highest form of flattery.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBlover
Then why did you buy an xB if you have problems?? Sell it if ya don't like it!!
Try reading the thread before you come to incorrect conclusions... a little comprehension goes a long way..
Old 11-03-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I Love my XB, but I do agree with the power opinion. It could be a little faster, but on the other hand a lot less speeding tickets! The on issue I have with the XB is the factory stereo. I didn't like the **** volume control. The worst is the in-glass radio antenna. That is garbage. If you live in a large city you probably would never notice but if you live in a sparse populated area you cannot pick up any stations. My XB is going to ziebart to get a real Mast antenna soon to replace the factory one. But its a small sacrifice for the cost and quality of this car. Besides its not a CIVIC and you dont see one in every driveway acrossed America!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my .02 in reply

1- Power... I don't think anything will ever have enough power for me... I'd call the xB power plant, sufficient.

2- Thin sheet metal... MPG is all about being light. I've driven in Geo Metros and Ford Festivas, compared to them the xB seems like a tank.

3- Interior lighting... I agree there isn't enough light inside!! LET THERE BE LIGHT!

4- Noisey.. ya, somewaht, but then again, I've mostly had trucks so to me it's not bad

5- Weak AC... I live in Alaska, I don't really know, haven't used it yet other than to defog the windshield.

6- Bouncy ride.. I don't mind it much, it is bouncey somewhat.

7- Cheap butt plastic dip stick.. YUK,
8- Drum brakes.. Drum breaks are more than suffiecient for this car. The only thing rear disks would really help is just looks. Most of your braking in in the front. Not an issue to me.

9- Paint.. It looks good... but it doesn't hold up very well... I haven't had mine long enough to know how it holds up, but I did get the 3m paint protection for the front.

10- People asking me when do the Klowns come out.... I am a clown, not an issue.

What I would add to the list being in Alaska is, I want heated mirrors. Also cruise control should be standard.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just a few things i would change

First, unless i am missing it, there is only one power supply (I admit there is a very good chance I have overlooked the second one, if it indeed exists). How can a car that is so hip and cool, and targeted to the younger set have only 1?

Second, the cargo cover is a joke. The cover on my wife's Sante Fe works much better. I know, you are saying "How can it work better, it only covers the cargo." But the xB's has no tension, and droops / sags. Should work more like a window blind.

As for the power and speed...not a problem for me. I was in the fast lane of N-bound I-75 here in Detroit and noticed it was humming right along at 90mph. Did not seem like it. I just unloaded a Buick 6 cylinder, which felt about the same at those speeds.

Finally, I wish those darn clowns would stop jumping out at every red light. Gets annoying after a while.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have an 06 and it has an interior dome light, so I don't have a problem with that. However, I agree with the sheet metal issue; the fuel tank door is paper thin (not that it really matters but it makes you wonder about the rest of the panels). Also, the ride is bouncy on anything less than smooth asphalt. Another issue I have is that I wish the wheel would telescope but I understand not including it on a car at this price point.

mikem53 if you want more stopping power just buy some after market brake pads (and stainless steel lines if that's not enough) nice z06, check out the new one

Regardless of the problems, this is a phenomenal car for the money; would you rather drive a PT Cruiser?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. power - throw a header on, cat back muffler, and a air intake with the manuel and you'll have a lot more fun driving....it's a economical 4 that is great on gas and fun around corners...it probably won't beat a souped up civic...but you'll still be looking good rolling up to the next stop lights with your 17, 18s, 19's, or 20's

2. It's a cheap car that's easy and fun to customize with an already huge cult following....toyota must be doing something right.

3. I actually prefer this car to most muscle cars I've owned...I don't know why...but i do....I guess I just enjoy something that was so cheap to make cool...and I can drive everyday....instead of just the weekends....and I love it

4. Gas prices.....what more do you want....it's the best on it.....!

5. Scion people are some of the nicest people i know...I've had so many nice conversations with people giving me props and sharing views on our boxes....scion rocks!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i understand most of the stuff you are getting at, for me the AC is fine. (guam is hot sticky, and usually around 90 plus with no shade at all)
What i don't like about the box, are easily scratched. i am super careful with this car, and already it has swirls on it! ____enmehoff! and everyone tries to race me,and flips me off in it. does my car look meacing? or is it just me?

Quick Reply: Top ten things I DONT like about the xB