Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Trailer, Max weight, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member

Maybe future problem with transmission but at current gas prices replacing transmission my be reasonable fix. Seriously the first item might be the rear shocks as the tongue weight lowers the rear end some.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Hey folks. Just installed the aforementioned Curt hitch on my 06 XB and it was a piece of cake. I'm preparing to tow a 4x8 UHaul trailer from Montana to Ohio. The whole rig, including contents, should run about 1000 lbs. Any advice? Would 60 mph be a safe bet? Stick to 4th gear? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member

The weight is a little heavy but just go easy on the gas peddle. I do not know why you would not use 5th gear, most of the time you will be cruising. recommend that you stay at 55 mph. I just did round trip FL. to WI.3500 miles with 850lb trailer and got 29.82 mpg. at 55. Good Luck
Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing that has kept me from installing a trailer hitch is that the warranty manual says that it completely voids the warranty, Has anyone run into any problems at the dealership with one installed?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

If you use the bolt on hitch and plug in wiring (I purchased both from etrailer on the internet). They can both be removed from xB before taken to dealer. It requires a wrench and 15-30 minutes to remove.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose this is true, never thought about it that way :D
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the Curt or Drawtite hitch come with a 2" receiver. I want to install a 2" receiver Yakima bike hitch rack. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Default XB towing a trailer

Originally Posted by pblichfeldt
The weight is a little heavy but just go easy on the gas peddle. I do not know why you would not use 5th gear, most of the time you will be cruising. recommend that you stay at 55 mph. I just did round trip FL. to WI.3500 miles with 850lb trailer and got 29.82 mpg. at 55. Good Luck
Thanks for the advice. I wondered about 5th gear because it means the engine won't be absorbing as much of the strain, and more would be put on the brakes. Not a concern?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member

By not using 5th gear you are making your engine work more. Look at your tachometer when you shift from 4th to 5th. Brakes are a lot less expensive then an engine. I forgot to mention that my 29.82 mpg was towing the travel trailer and with a canoe and rack on top of xB. The canoe and rack reduces mpg by about 2 mpg. go slow and enjoy the drive. the best part is at the pump when you fill up for $25 and the SUV in front of you hits $100.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks a bunch for your advice. I'll report back after the trip!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem towing this #1000 pound tent trailer up to 7,000 feet and back. Tongue weight is about 70 pounds.

Cruises in 5th gear at 65 on the flats, occasionally drop into 4th for longer hills. RPM"s never get about 5k.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member

Did you record your mpg during this trip. I have never worked my engine this hard. Wondering what the diferential is between 55mpg at 3k RPM and 65 at 5k RPM?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't get hard numbers, but I do know that my gas mileage was much better while towing.

Usually we cruise at 75-80.....with the trailer we never got above 65, and almost all of that was on flat freeway, so there was no extra drag on the engine.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: trailer, max weight, etc.

Originally Posted by stew32
Originally Posted by mrsocks
what is the max weight trailer the xB can tow?
Zero is the rated. I thought most of the hitches give 1,000 lbs as the max. You can get a trailer hitch for anything. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I was thinking about getting a hitch and cheap trailer- just to make runs the 5 miles from Home Depot to my house with mulch, lumber, etc.
That's just what I use mine for. I got the 4 by 8 foot folding trailer from Northern Hydraulic. It works great. I just went to Sears Outlet and got a washer and dryer, hauled that home, then loaded the used ones and took them to the parents house. No problem. And that's with the hills of Pittsburgh.

The word is "tow responsibly". Just don't tow anything too heavy. And remember, people have been towing with much smaller vehicles in other parts of the world for many, many years. In those parts gas is so expensive that a Dodge Ram exists only in pictures. No one make enough money to run one.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: trailer, max weight, etc.

Originally Posted by stew32
Originally Posted by mrsocks
what is the max weight trailer the xB can tow?
Zero is the rated. I thought most of the hitches give 1,000 lbs as the max. You can get a trailer hitch for anything. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I was thinking about getting a hitch and cheap trailer- just to make runs the 5 miles from Home Depot to my house with mulch, lumber, etc.
That's just what I use mine for. I got the 4 by 8 foot folding trailer from Northern Hydraulic. It works great. I just went to Sears Outlet and got a washer and dryer, hauled that home, then loaded the used ones and took them to the parents house. No problem. And that's with the hills of Pittsburgh.

The word is "tow responsibly". Just don't tow anything too heavy. And remember, people have been towing with much smaller vehicles in other parts of the world for many, many years. In those parts gas is so expensive that a Dodge Ram exists only in pictures. No one make enough money to run one.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

From a guy that has towed a bunch of stuff I can tell you going up hills is not a problem. Place the tranny in the right gear to keep your rpms up is all you need to do. The hard part is coming down the other side, your brakes have to stop you and your trailer. As long as your total weight stays low you should be okay, use a little engine braking and save the brakes for when you need them. I towed a 4x6 trailer behind my old CRXsi when I travled the SCCA races in the southeast loaded with racing tires/wheels and assorted pit stuff.

Rob with Scikotics pulled into Atlanta for the St Paddy day events pulling his trailer, maybe he will chime in.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Invisihitch Hidden Hitch on my xb, which I highly recomend. When the hitch is removed from the receiver, you can ot see the hitch itself, plus it works with aftermarket exhausts. It's a class 1 hitch rated at 200 lb tongue weight and 2000 lb trailer weight. Keep in mind that you have to subtract the weight of the trailer itself from that number. I have a 4x8 trailer that I haul my 514 lbs. Yamaha Kodiak 400 plus my gear. I never even notice the trailer is behind me, except when I pass people and they do a double take. I have on occasion had it and my 300 Bayou on there as well, which starts to get a little heavy. The biggest thing is knowing what you're towing and how much time and distance you will need to stop it.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 6/08/08: UPDATE

Originally Posted by douglasinct
Posted: 5/7/08 6:17PM
Just installed a Curt Tow Hitch... which came with a U-Haul sticker on it.

Easy install. :D
Hi Gang,
I am a bit disappointed with the Curt Tow Hitch.

REASON:
It sits so low that, WITHOUT the draw bar installed, I scrape it every so often when I back out of my driveway into the street.
The only way to avoid the hit is to exit INCH by INCH into the street.

Therefore, I recommend getting the Invisi-Hitch Hidden Hitch
that uses the removable drop "U" shaped draw bar that goes around the bumper/fairing.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default Low hitch clearance

I towed my camping trailer from Orlando, Fl to WI. then through the Smokey Mts in Arkansas and back to Orlando. Never bottomed out.

You have a Scion which is low to start out with. You might try backing at a angle.

OH, and isn't fun going the the gas station and filling up for $30+ and watching other roll right past $80.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:19 PM

Hello!
I'm looking to get a hitch for my 09 xB. I'm moving and need to me able to tow a small uhaul trailer, mainly just for a bed and standing mirror. Any recommendations on which hitch? Also, is there anything else I need aside from the hitch? Rewireing for lights, etc?