Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

What mods improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member

And wouldn't bigger tires mess with your acceleration (or lack of acceleration)?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by ncscion
keep tank almost empty
this one will have you buying a $400 fuel pump* in a few years. the fuel pump is in the tank it actually uses the fuel to cool it off.

*i just threw in that amount. i don't know if it's actually 400 bucks for a fuel pump. it may be less, or it may be more
Old 06-30-2004, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default MPG

Go to the gas station and fight with the attendant about gas prices and see if you can pull a swap shop on them. If not, go home and print up some fake coupons for free gas with the purchase of a yoo-hoo and a hot dog. If none of those work, this one always work... While you're driving down the road, try to get behind a big truck, like a ford excursion or something, follow them until you reach a red light, get out your car, run up behind thiers, then attach a rope from the front of your car to the back of the ford truck(preferebly), run back to your SCION, jump in it, turn off the car and put it in nuetral. And get ready for the best gas mileage ever.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: MPG

Originally Posted by Cruzanterra2000
Go to the gas station and fight with the attendant about gas prices and see if you can pull a swap shop on them. If not, go home and print up some fake coupons for free gas with the purchase of a yoo-hoo and a hot dog. If none of those work, this one always work... While you're driving down the road, try to get behind a big truck, like a ford excursion or something, follow them until you reach a red light, get out your car, run up behind thiers, then attach a rope from the front of your car to the back of the ford truck(preferebly), run back to your SCION, jump in it, turn off the car and put it in nuetral. And get ready for the best gas mileage ever.
Hmm where would i attach the rope to the front of my car?

Jeff
Old 06-30-2004, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rope attachment procedure

If you pull out one of the big grills on the bumper, you'll find many places to attach the rope, OR Buy a strut bar, install it, pop the hood, and tie the rope to that!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Intake and exhaust all the way. It will boost your horsepower and up your gas mileage.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Restricting power will add fuel economy. It's as simple as that. No 200hp car gets 40mpg.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill vouch for that iom selling my 260 hp talon and i get about 13 to 15 mpg
Old 06-30-2004, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

In addition to my own post, since I don't like editing them, people that say you get better gas mileage once you increase power (CAI, exhaust, etc) are lifting their feet off of the gas pedal to achieve better MPG. You CANNOT have more power and better MPG at the same time. More power is generated by more gas.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mitchell

one of these on your bumper gives an extra 5 knots..

(...and that was post 100 for me)
that made me "Lol" literally, haha, good one
Old 06-30-2004, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ghost
Restricting power will add fuel economy. It's as simple as that. No 200hp car gets 40mpg.
That has to be the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. So if you completely plug your exhaust system, you would get an infinite mile per gallon average, or is your theory non-linear? If you stuck a potato in a Corvette's exhaust, you would improve milage, right? :?

The truth is that the easier it is for your engine to operate, the better your fuel consumption will be. restriction beyond factory specs will cause you to lessen your MPG as your engine will have to work harder. Transversely, if you ran wide open headers, you would lose the exhaust scavenging capabilities of your exhaust system and once again, cause your car to work harder as the exhaust can be likened to a syphon that operates in conjunction with the cams, pistons, intake, etc....

the easiest way to "slightly" raise your MPG is to make sure that you don't have excess weight in the car, and your tires are properly inflated. (some recommend over-inflating by 5psi to lessen rolling resistance, but the gains are negligable and you then have to contend with slightly less traction.)
Old 07-01-2004, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by xCHRISx
Originally Posted by ghost
That has to be the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. So if you completely plug your exhaust system, you would get an infinite mile per gallon average, or is your theory non-linear? If you stuck a potato in a Corvette's exhaust, you would improve milage, right? :?

The truth is that the easier it is for your engine to operate, the better your fuel consumption will be. restriction beyond factory specs will cause you to lessen your MPG as your engine will have to work harder. Transversely, if you ran wide open headers, you would lose the exhaust scavenging capabilities of your exhaust system and once again, cause your car to work harder as the exhaust can be likened to a syphon that operates in conjunction with the cams, pistons, intake, etc....

the easiest way to "slightly" raise your MPG is to make sure that you don't have excess weight in the car, and your tires are properly inflated. (some recommend over-inflating by 5psi to lessen rolling resistance, but the gains are negligable and you then have to contend with slightly less traction.)
ok.