12.50%
no, people wouldn't want to watch it
0%
no, nobody would want to participate
6.25%
no, you're just been smoking too much crack
25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

who wants to take their xB racing (spec xB class idea)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Default who wants to take their xB racing (spec xB class idea)

and yes Im serious...

why? well the xB is easily reconizable and offers lots of sponsorship space to please potential sponsors. and well people like it and think its cute, and i think many would be surprised at how the chassi handles on a roadcourse (search my post for a review of how it handled summit points Jefferson circuit last May)
Plus for participants the ability to throw your race rubber and wheels in the back with a floorjack, drive to the track, swap out the wheels and be ready to go is great, it acts as its own support vehicle.

so here's the layout plan for the cars in the series (the opening info on why based off the spec miata series)

The Spec Miata (SM) class is intended to provide the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition. The rules are intentionally designed to be more open than the Showroom Stock class but more restricted than the Improved Touring class.

http://www.specmiata.com/specifications.htm

For the xb’s here’s what I see…

Cylinder head modifications: port and polish, camshafts and decking of the head (decking the head to bump compression would help bridge the gap between the NA and forced induction class, however many of the NA guys would hold off on doing this as it would lead to denotation later on if they were to go FI. It would also allow persons to restore compression in older motors with more miles.

ECU: Open to modifications and piggy back units, NO standalone

Fuel system: OEM fuel pump, aftermarket injectors are allowed

Ignition System: spark plugs, plug wires and timing are open. Battery relocation into the hatch is allowed as are lightweight batteries under the following stipulations.

lightweight batteries most be of similar amp-hour capacity and are to remain in the stock location and must be secured with approved tie-downs and or brackets.
relocated batteries must be in an approved vented battery box with a stainless tray coated with acid resistant coating under the battery box.

Intake: Any intake within .5” MAF housing is allowed. ITBs may be allowed after the first season in NA class, may run as prototype class in first season.

Forced induction: TRD superchargers are allowed. Modifications to pulley size and compressor housing porting are allowed. Factory compression must be run however. (Limiting boost via tuning and detonation)

Exhaust: most exit out rear of sub frame. Maximum diameter of 2.5”. Headers are open. Must retain factory O2 sensors and factory number of catalytic converters. Must use factory path. Additional O2 sensors for a wideband for tuning purposes are allowed.

Clutch: Open, must bolt to factory spec flywheel. Lightened flywheels are allowed.

Transmission: Limited slip differentals are allowed (clutch types are currently on the market, a torsion type would be preferred and if made available would be made the spec differential, disallowing clutch types.

Suspension:

Shocks, OEM, OEM direct replacement, Tokico, Bilstein and TRD shocks are allowed. (Must check to see if Koni or XYB adjustable units are available as those would be allowed as well) No remote reservoir shock components are allowed.
Springs, open
sway bars:
Front: open

Rear: TRD, Progress, Cucso or Hotchkis bar

Endlinks for sway bars

Subframe braces: TBD
Camber plates will be allowed
factory steering racks are to be used
Strut tower braces are allowed on front and rear

Wheels: must be at least 15” in diameter, one piece wheels, maximum of 7.5”

Brakes: pads fluids and lines (stainless steel lines permitted) are open. Rear disc conversion is allowed. Emergency brake may be disabled or modified. ABS may be disabled.

Body: Must retain factory contour and shape. Fender liners must be factory contour and replacement. Fender rolling is allowed. Carbon fiber or fiberglass hoods must use secure hood pins. Vents for airflow to passenger compartment or to brake ducting is allowed. 6 point roll cages with optional (or removal able rear X bar and nascar crash door bars being optional. All cages must be 1 5/8” steel and approved padding is required forward of the B pillar. Internal master kill switch required. Any replacement seats must be 1 piece SCCA approved. Minimum of 4 point harnesses are required. All lighting glass is to be taped.

***note if Toyota, Scion or TRD develop any parts that fit within the required rules and wish to make them the required parts (thus banning the use of a previous approved part from another manufacturer) they reserve the right to do so. The ban would take place 6 months after parts are made readily available to the public and the ruling has been made. Examples could be TRD clutches, TRD intake or TRD rear sway bars***

I think the potential for tracks to use an xB with such a setup (minus the cage) as a pace/safety car, due to the storage space for supplies, and safety equipment, use of the back as treatment area for minor non ambulance required injuries, visibility and handling that won’t hold up the cars running in an event. Not to mention surface area for branding the track or sponsors of an event (which transfers over directly from the spec series idea).
Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Race a box

My WAY future plan is to set up a box for a street legal drag car. Out of warranty, time frame.
There's nothing better than spanking American muscle with a car that's no suppose to go fast.
My street legal 70 VW Baja stage 1 turbo(low 12's) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfsZaoxVaLU

I'm all for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes. you can DO it.
haha yeah, i've always been wanting to see xB's with good setups taking it to the track and kicking some a$$.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

well the ball is rolling. legally that's about all i can say right now but the specs listed above should be pretty close to spot on with a few additions (DOT approved tires, NO R compounds) and there may be some spec specific parts developed. Hopefully something on a fully built car should start moving forward soon with dull disclosure on the spec sheet for others to duplicate and run. I'd like to see a race run this year as I'm certain a single fully functional car will be put together soon (with pics and video to follow). Then hopefully it'll be a if you build it they will come.

More importantly hopefully a lot of people want to watch xb's race. I personnally think it would be an entertaining series for spectators and very easy to visually separate one car from another. And spec series racing always offers great competition as the cars are so evenly matched.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having tracked my car (both autocross and road course), I can say the xB is a hoot to drive. However, I think you've got an uphill battle.

The Spec classes don't draw too many spectators (at least the spec series I've attended at Road America). Plus, of all cars people could race, I think it'd be a hard sell for a spec-series xB. The perception is it's too tall and tippy. Yaris, maybe (they do have the one-make races in Japan and other parts of the world), but xB ...I just don't see people buying it specifically for racing.

With that being said, I'd love to see a race-prepped xB running in the SCCA or NASA. I know there's been oposition to classing the car for SCCA-sanctioned autocross (it can run STS but not stock), and I'd imagine you might have the same issues (if not more) with road-race classing. Plus, I don't know if you're going to find a lot of people willing to put the money into an xB to make it race worthy.

I'm not "hating;" however, like I said, I don't think there'd be enough people willing to put the cash into an xB to make it raceworthy. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

call me crazy, but also a stock xB race would be kinda cool too. Where competition is even and balanced, relying solely on the drivers skills.