Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Would you buy a salvage Scion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Would you buy a salvage Scion?

What do you guys think about salavge title scions? I've been getting pretty good deals, and reselling them for 10-12G's for a registered scion xb. Based on what color and mileage...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

no on salvage. it will have problems i can guarantee it.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ID BUY ONE... not for that much money but hell.. some cars are salvage cuz they had excessive water damage.. u never know.. but im not skurrd.. id do it..
Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would have to have a really good history before I'd even look at it. I've looked at salvage cars in the past and said no every time. Usually salvage cars are used for major parts - body panels, interiors, glass, etc. No one is makin' moves on a xB stock car circuit yet. When that happens there will be a maraket for salvage vehicles.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'd buy a salvage, but certainly not for 10-12 G's. Prolly the most I'd pay is 8 for a 2004 or 10 for a 2005. Ain't nothing wrong with a good deal on a fixer upper tho
Old 05-11-2005, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Im sorry but the thought of buying a salvage scion is absurd. the car cost 14k base. If you cant afford that go get a kia.
DISCLAIMER!!!!
Not a stab at your current financial situation, i dont know you. Just a blanket statement about the though.t of buying a salvaged scion. No Offense
Old 05-11-2005, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the only reason I would buy salvage was if I could get it *dirt* cheap...like say $5K for a tc, and *only* if it was water damage only. I'd totally turn it into a show car
Old 05-11-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

would you eat a sandwhich out of the trash that I ran over? j/k

if you are inclined to do so, . . . i say begin customizing!
Old 05-11-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I would buy Salvage once I had it on the lift....and Salvage should be 30% less than whole sale on the car....otherwise buy new or a good used deal that isn't salvaged
Old 05-11-2005, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't buy a salvage vehicle

they're called SALVAGE for a reason
Old 05-11-2005, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe a theft recovery at a good price.

WW
Old 05-11-2005, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I've been looking for a salvage xb to turn into just a show car. Most that I have found would be good just for personal use, no resale. You wouldn't get your money back out of it on a resale unless it was just wrecked and didn't have a mark on the title. There have been a few on ebay for around 5-6 grand. Both were hit in the front though and needed airbags and frame straightening.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think salvaged cars should only be used for parts or for destruction in movies, like the ford explorer from jurassic park that got destroyed by the t-rex. And no, I wouldnt even think of buying a salvaged car.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I hear all your opinion, but salvage to me is the way to go, warranty from the dealer is pretty much BS. I see people sell some salvage cars for like 11-12g's for an 04. For instance if I told you I had a 04 hot lava 5K miles auto for $12,500. Hit in the front but airbags did not deploy. I think that it would be a good price. Or maybe a 05 with 2800 miles on it, rear ender but the hatch was still in good shape for 11,500 registered with title and plates? You're talking about a saving of 4-6000 for a car that has a branded title. As long as the workman ship is good, and the car drives and looks good. Why not?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by partsguyonline
I hear all your opinion, but salvage to me is the way to go, warranty from the dealer is pretty much BS. I see people sell some salvage cars for like 11-12g's for an 04. For instance if I told you I had a 04 hot lava 5K miles auto for $12,500. Hit in the front but airbags did not deploy. I think that it would be a good price. Or maybe a 05 with 2800 miles on it, rear ender but the hatch was still in good shape for 11,500 registered with title and plates? You're talking about a saving of 4-6000 for a car that has a branded title. As long as the workman ship is good, and the car drives and looks good. Why not?
Do you understand what is meant by "salvage"? "Salvage" is when a vehicle sustains so much damage that the cost to repair it exceeds the value... insurance companies "total" the vehicle and offer the remains for sale as "salvage". then again, maybe I'm the one that doesn't understand.

The damage you describe would not be enough to total a vehicle and sell it for salvage.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that many lenders and insurance companies will not insure it nor loan money on it ..... check first before you buy !
Old 05-11-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by partsguyonline
YOu might be comfrtable with that idea, but clearly the rest of us are not. You asked us what we thought, we told you. If you are trying to conviince us over to your opinion on the matter, you're definitely beating a dead horse. I say that only because you said "Say for instance I told you I have a 04...."we're happy for you if you have a scion that you like. Great for you, if you got what you consider a great deal on it. The rest of us don't share your thoughts on it being a great deal, or it being somethign worth buying (some of us for that price, some of us for *any* price).

As far as the warranty from the dealer being BS....are you talking about the factory warranty????? Or are you talking about somethiing the dealer sells in addition to the factory warranty. If its the former, then I know you are insane to think that the factory warranty is worthless. If it's the latter, please explain what you are talking about.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope. I'm not in a situation anymore that I can risk buying a salvaged vehicle.

When I crashed my XB, I first thought, I hope they can repair it. But then I thought, I don't want to be driving a repaired vehicle.

Teenager car? Living at home? Other vehicles available to you? I say go for a salvage.

Primary vehicle? Don't do it.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tcperconti
Do you understand what is meant by "salvage"? "Salvage" is when a vehicle sustains so much damage that the cost to repair it exceeds the value... insurance companies "total" the vehicle and offer the remains for sale as "salvage". then again, maybe I'm the one that doesn't understand.

The damage you describe would not be enough to total a vehicle and sell it for salvage.
This case is not always true. For instance you just bought and 05 xb, and had it for 2 months, some idiot rear ends you. You're not gonna want them to fix it, no matter how extensive the damage, nor minimal. You're gonna fight the adjuster and have him get you a new one. other cases are theft recover, the airbags and interior are stolen. The airbags from the dealer with seatbelts are about $2000 without tax and labor. The seats themselves are about that price too. Total loss in that case. The wiring harness from the ecu cut, too much labor involved. total loss their. The cars dont have to be smashed to a pyle to be total loss. Their many instances that people fix cars that are meant to be junk. Times you'll get a car that is vandalized ie slashed seats or keyed doors. Too much liability involved to repaint the car and repair/replace the seats. The repair shop has to warrant the work, and sometimes the insurance company would rather total loss then have to deal with issues later with workman ship. They rather total out cars and maybe raise your insurance if another instance occurs. Cars these days are designed differently, to be repaired effieciently and precise by easily removing spot welds and sections. I'll post pics to show you guys.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Actually, cars these days are designed to be *safer*, with things like crumple zones, and engines that drop to the cement to provide a better crash barrier. I'm pretty sure stuff like that isn't designed to be made for easy repairs (/sarcasm).

The problem you are going to face with salvage vehicles is that there is a tremendously vast negative stigma associated with a car with a salvage title. that's because the majority of salvage titles are due to accident and or damage that requires rapairs that exceeed the value of the car, just like it was entioned above you. Most people won't bother to even hear *why* the car was salvaged. And for those that do, they are going to want *proof* of the reason, not just an explanation by the repair guy.

You can keep arguing all you want. We've all told you how we feel. You keep trying to change our minds. At this point, I'm assumin you are trolling for replies.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a salvage Scion?