Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Would you buy a salvage Scion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by toastbox

As far as the warranty from the dealer being BS....are you talking about the factory warranty????? Or are you talking about somethiing the dealer sells in addition to the factory warranty. If its the former, then I know you are insane to think that the factory warranty is worthless. If it's the latter, please explain what you are talking about.
as in BS, one of my buddy's has an 03 celica, one day the engine sounded like it was down one cylinder, car started shaking and making a putting sound, and the check engine came on. He called the dealer and made an appointment to take it in. When he got their, they were talking about over revving and engine sounds like it was dragged. They said some crazy stuff like we're gonna tear it down and see what happens, but if they find bent valves from over revving, they're gonna charge him $800 labor for tearing it down. And he would be liable for the repairs. Once they started working on it, they found out that one of the spark plugs broke in the cylinder, they just vacuumed it out and replaced it. No real customer service or benefit of the doubt, They haggle you about the warranty and he bought it certified used with the extended warranty. So he was covered both ways, but they still gave him a hard time. Why pay 1500-2000 for the extra warranty that 9 outta 10 times doesnt pay for itself. But we're getting off the subject, didnt mean to side track on warranty issues.
Salvage cars to me are excellent way to go. It's not for all, and you gotta be selective and make sure you're getting a good car.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by partsguyonline
This case is not always true. For instance you just bought and 05 xb, and had it for 2 months, some idiot rear ends you. You're not gonna want them to fix it, no matter how extensive the damage, nor minimal. You're gonna fight the adjuster and have him get you a new one.
I have never, NEVER been able to do that (in the 32 years of purchasing and owning new vehicles)... nor has anyone I've known.

other cases are theft recover, the airbags and interior are stolen. The airbags from the dealer with seatbelts are about $2000 without tax and labor. The seats themselves are about that price too. Total loss in that case. The wiring harness from the ecu cut, too much labor involved. total loss their. The cars dont have to be smashed to a pyle to be total loss. Their many instances that people fix cars that are meant to be junk. Times you'll get a car that is vandalized ie slashed seats or keyed doors. Too much liability involved to repaint the car and repair/replace the seats. The repair shop has to warrant the work, and sometimes the insurance company would rather total loss then have to deal with issues later with workman ship. They rather total out cars and maybe raise your insurance if another instance occurs. Cars these days are designed differently, to be repaired effieciently and precise by easily removing spot welds and sections. I'll post pics to show you guys.
Again... the only time I've seen an insurance company total out a claim is when the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Partsguy, I'm not seein' you have an audience here. Sure, some people may want to buy a vehicle that needs work, but any 'true' xB that is salvaged is going to need $8000 just to get it back to stock condition. That's more than just interior, airbags and a wiring harness. You are looking at body parts and a paint job. Unibody work on a salvaged vehicle isn't always something I trust.

I've done t-bone repairs and that's the only one I have faith in because it is the least structural. If the repair involves a pillar or frame, man, you could be asking for many future headaches.

Any salvage purchase would be a case-by-case decision and I would never do it without touching the vehicle and getting inside and underneath it.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by UBOW
Hey Partsguy, I'm not seein' you have an audience here. Sure, some people may want to buy a vehicle that needs work, but any 'true' xB that is salvaged is going to need $8000 just to get it back to stock condition. That's more than just interior, airbags and a wiring harness. You are looking at body parts and a paint job. Unibody work on a salvaged vehicle isn't always something I trust.

I've done t-bone repairs and that's the only one I have faith in because it is the least structural. If the repair involves a pillar or frame, man, you could be asking for many future headaches.

Any salvage purchase would be a case-by-case decision and I would never do it without touching the vehicle and getting inside and underneath it.
True that! but t-bones arent always the way to go, sometimes they dont line the doors up well, from the hinge repair, and sometimes the roof is damage, and if a scion would be tboned, it would have roof damge. I rather have a rear ender with minimal 1/4 panel damage. But for sure I hear where all of you are coming from. I just wanted to see the perspective of this community on scion life. I would'nt buy a salvage car without seeing it. I've been really successful in selling cars as a salvage builder, but the demand of a scion is NUTS, and the prices are outrageous! Sometimes you could get cars for 1/2 price. I have a 2005 rsx type s for $13000 obo. I dont wanna sit here and argue, just wanna hear everyones opinion.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed in the last coupla years people have been mis-using the term t-boning. They thing a t-bone collision is one where the car is impacted square on any side. In truth, a t-bone collision can only occur in the front and damages the radiator support strut, front bumper, grill, possibly the hood and radiator. Severe cases would include the radiator, hood and engine components. Extreme cases would include steering and engine components and likely the suspension.

Collisions on the side is not classic t-boning. That is just a side impact.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Take a look at this car, does it look like it was a total loss? The only thing replaced was the rt fender, front cover, and rt headlight. The a/c and cooling unit is original cars has 11K miles. The airbags did deploy and needed to replace complete unit with belts and sensors. Does this car look like a junker total loss?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by UBOW
I've noticed in the last coupla years people have been mis-using the term t-boning. They thing a t-bone collision is one where the car is impacted square on any side. In truth, a t-bone collision can only occur in the front and damages the radiator support strut, front bumper, grill, possibly the hood and radiator. Severe cases would include the radiator, hood and engine components. Extreme cases would include steering and engine components and likely the suspension.

Collisions on the side is not classic t-boning. That is just a side impact.
it depends, who does the boning. The impacting car is usually frontend damage the reciever is the side damage. So you figure out who bones who? I'm not a reciever! you?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Take a look at this car, does it look like it was a total loss? The only thing replaced was the rt fender, front cover, and rt headlight. The a/c and cooling unit is original cars has 11K miles. The airbags did deploy and needed to replace complete unit with belts and sensors. Does this car look like a junker total loss?
like I said I would put in on a lift see how the frame was repaired etc...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Biggest reason not to buy salvage..Carfax..guarantees no resale value
Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would never buy a salvage titled car for an everday commuter. I figure the resale value is toast and you're never completely sure if the car is problem free. If the car was going to be stripped and become a track car or show car, thats different...but I still wouldn't buy one.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

If you have ever taken a look at some pic's at wreckedscions.com? These cars have a crumple zone that basically starts at the front bumper and ends at the rear. Sure, some of these were lower speed incidents that only affected the plastic cover, but most any impact from the front where the air bags are popped resulted in significant structural damage. If the fender was wrinkled from a rear impact and the doors no longer align it is the same deal. The box is made of tin! I'll bet you could make almost an entire xA from the recycled steel from the trunk and hood of a '72 Cadillac.... ;^)

I guess you really have to have a good understanding of is how a title was assigned as "salvage". I have seen salvage cars that were listed as salvage with the claim that only the front fender was replaced. I have seen salvage cars that were never in an accident, but had been given to a salvage yard and the DMV would only title it as "salvage". As was noted in another posting, salvage may be a theft recovery with some minor interior damage (but you have to assume that the engine was abused). It may have been as serious as rollover. Either way, a salvage title should be avoided like the plague unless you are looking for a parts car. A possible exception would be if the owner had some before and after pictures and documentation of repairs or a serious and extensive documented history, but even then it can easily take 20-50% off the value of a vehicle.

Ever seen the bad e-bay postings for "repairable" salvage vehicles? I am talking about roll over and 30MPH front impacts with an immovable object. How anyone could ever believe it is worth it to repair an xB with damage so severe that the roof is wrinkled and the doors will not close is beyond me.

Caveat Emptor
Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd never touch a salvage title on a car I can buy new for $14k. The term "salvage" will dog that car for the rest of its life - for future repairs, tire wear, road noise, wind noise, body integrity, rust, warranty, resale, insurance, and potentially safety. Every time a repair question comes up you'll wonder if it's because the car was salvaged.

As someone said earlier, if it was super cheap and intended to be a second car, then maybe. But I've owned good bargains before that turned out to be very expensive to work out all the bugs on - definitely not worth it.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
Biggest reason not to buy salvage..Carfax..guarantees no resale value
I'm not too familar with carfax's guarantee of resale value, but for example, if you goto kbb.com and rate a vehicle I have "05 scion xb burgundy auto 3K miles" branded salvage, rate it, with major repair done and salvage title, it'll come out as $12,600. I know I could get $11,500.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SolarGrrl
I would never buy a salvage titled car for an everday commuter. I figure the resale value is toast and you're never completely sure if the car is problem free. If the car was going to be stripped and become a track car or show car, thats different...but I still wouldn't buy one.
Car is total loss if the damage of the car is 50%-100% of the cars value. If you got into an accident and the damages were more then 50%, but the insurance company didnt want to totalyour car out, instead they decide to repair your car. You wouldnt drive it around daily? ic....nice paperweight!
Old 05-12-2005, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would buy a salvaged xb but i would only use it for parts and expiriments before doing them to my xb
Old 05-12-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by gslippy
I'd never touch a salvage title on a car I can buy new for $14k. The term "salvage" will dog that car for the rest of its life - for future repairs, tire wear, road noise, wind noise, body integrity, rust, warranty, resale, insurance, and potentially safety. Every time a repair question comes up you'll wonder if it's because the car was salvaged.

As someone said earlier, if it was super cheap and intended to be a second car, then maybe. But I've owned good bargains before that turned out to be very expensive to work out all the bugs on - definitely not worth it.
14K new? plus tax liscense and destination fee, automatic is alittle bit more. Dont tell me everyone here paid $15G out the door for their xb? I have an 05 scion xb auto for $11,800 registered, includes liscense smog and registration. You're talking about a $3-5g difference for a branded but almost same condition car. I'll show you pics of this car.

as far as super cheap, for sure you could get one for $8000, but you pay for what you get. Sounds like super bondo to me for that price.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way I would even consider a salvage is if I was incredibly desperate for a ride and the asking price is no more than 50% of the blue book value. Otherwise, no way in hell.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

14K new? plus tax liscense and destination fee, automatic is alittle bit more. Dont tell me everyone here paid $15G out the door for their xb? I have an 05 scion xb auto for $11,800 registered, includes liscense smog and registration. You're talking about a $3-5g difference for a branded but almost same condition car. I'll show you pics of this car.

as far as super cheap, for sure you could get one for $8000, but you pay for what you get. Sounds like super bondo to me for that price.
I paid $14.8K total... out the door (tax & tags included). 05 STD w/Alloy wheels.

I still want to know what insurance company is going to total out an xB that only needs a new fender.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car is total loss if the damage of the car is 50%-100% of the cars value. If you got into an accident and the damages were more then 50%, but the insurance company didnt want to totalyour car out, instead they decide to repair your car. You wouldnt drive it around daily? ic....nice paperweight!
Paperweight...probably not, especially considering that such a hypothetical car wouldn't have a salvage title. If it were me, I'd sell it quick & (relatively) cheap, then maybe buy a new one of the same model. For a couple of thousand simoleons I'd have a new car with far less chance of long-term headaches.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wholeflaffer
Paperweight...probably not, especially considering that such a hypothetical car wouldn't have a salvage title. If it were me, I'd sell it quick & (relatively) cheap, then maybe buy a new one of the same model. For a couple of thousand simoleons I'd have a new car with far less chance of long-term headaches.
Yeah but you just forked out 15G for a new one, only had it for 2 months and only drove for 2K miles, you're gonna sell it for "cheap", say 12g's? or are we talking 8g's, your sh*t outta of luck. Gonna lose all that money and buy a new one with less headache? that less headache just turnt into a 18-23G's headache.

But I still love all of your opinions, and totally respect it, but if you dealt with me, you'll buy salvage.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a salvage Scion?