Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xB 2006 loss of power/knocking suddenly while going up hill. Check engine light flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM

Default xB 2006 loss of power/knocking suddenly while going up hill. Check engine light flash

Hi all and thanks in advance.

Was driving my Scion xB 2006 up a hill everything functioning normally then experienced a sudden drag and then engine knocking. The engine light came on and subsequently the VST and Trac (assuming due to the engine).

I was able to get it home since we were less than a mile away and I mostly coasted in neutral. I've checked the oil and it is midway up the acceptable level on the stick. I went ahead and changed the sparkplugs just in case it was a misfire in one, but when I cranked after, still had a knocking (though I only left the car on for a few seconds just in case it was major problem that could get worse). I've read on here that someone else had an issue with a piston coil or something like that, but I wanted to ask if there was anything else I could do on my own before taking it in. I'm sure it's the engine. Everything is stock, no mods. It's literally over 10 years old and never been in the shop.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-14-2018 at 05:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 PM

Ok, did some more checking and it may be one of the coil packs, going to check that later and see if that's it. Is it bad to interchange the coil packs on the engine? I mean, would it be bad for the car if I switched two of them around? If I did that, I should be able to figure out if it's the coil pack, since I just changed all of the spark plugs. Also, if that's it, does anyone know the best place to get a new coil pack? Autozone wants 85$ for one.
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Still need help

I found that the engine problem was a coil pack and I replaced the bad one. The engine idles and seems to accelerate fine but the engine, trac, and vst lights are still on. Is that normal? I haven't run it very long for fear of having a problem. Really need some help here.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:58 PM

Default it was the coil pack

After a few miles, the lights went off. It was a relatively easy fix. I really appreciate no one commenting on the post (that's sarcasm). Guess I left a contribution anyway.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

Sorry, been offsite for a bit. Had similar issue when son had hit large puddle of water. Water somehow seeped past the seal and was shorting out #1 plug. Scanner pointed to coilpack missfire. Found moisture when pack was pulled. Cleaned and dried everything. 20K miles later, still going.