First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xB car cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB car cover

Since my box stays parked outside in the summer, I'm thinking about getting a car cover to keep bird ____ off and to preserve the car wax.

I've never onwed a car cover. Does anybody have one and recommend it? Quick to get on and off?

A search did not work as you can imagine using "Car" and "cover".
1 million posts came up.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'd say the OEM cover is pretty darn good. I had one until i got a garage. you'll want to go over the car with a california duster each time you apply the cover.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is that the little dusters you see people using at car shows?

Is the car cover water-proof, or water-permiable?
Also, will it cover the rims too?

-Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yes, the california duster is availabel everywhere...even Wal-Mart

the cover comes down to the side skirts.

the cover is waterproof, but i'm not sure how long it would last without being retreated.

the only pita with a car cover is that you really don't want to put on anything but a very clean car.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I get what you mean.
If your car is dirty, it'll grind the dirt into the paint over time.
Better to use for storage then while your daily driving.
-Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are going to get a coevr and use it outside get only the heaviest softest covers. Evolution 3 and 4 fabrics are very good. Do not cover it when dirty, do not cover it when wet. Uncover it when it stops raining and reinstall the cover only after it and the car are dry. I tried this for a short bit and gave it up right quick. Covers are great for keeping garage queens less dusty when pakred in the garage. They are also great for use now and then when you are away at a show weekend perhaps or Like when I went to Canada for 2 weeks and left my 1972 Suburban lowrider parked at a small plane airport in Long Island. They quickly become very annoying for every day use outside. 1/2 the time or more you can't put the cover on cause something is dirty or wet. I just wash often (if you are using a cover you will need to wash likely more often than often).
Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Car Cover

I 2 was looking into a COVER for the B. I'm thinking the one from Toyota would be the best bet, but agree with Ted though.... I think it probably would become a hassle for everyday use. Guess i'll just find a shady place in a corner somewhere.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is probably obvious to a lot of people but I also never had a car cover before so i thought I could use a blue tarp...

When I got my h2 hummer in 03, brand spanking new, i didnt have a garage for it and also wanted it covered. i bought a blue tarp to put over it which was fine... but then, in the winter, on really windy days, the tarp would rub against the hummer and casuse the layer of way to get completely "erodded" away...

So, in case you were thinking of that as an option, dont ;] the car covers are much more expensive but they save your wax - so definitely get a snug fitting one rather than something loose that will flap in the wind.
- sh00k
Old 01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any plastic cover is a NO NO you can ruin the paint from water getting trapped under it. A high quality cover in top quality fabrics from a reputable manufacturer is the only way to go. The cover must be manufactured to fit the specific car to work well. California car covers Noah, Extremeweave or Stormweave covers woul be among my list of choices http://www.calcarcover.com/how_to_select.aspx#noah The Stormweave is particularly interesting if you will cover in parking lots.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got Intro-tech car cover made for the xB. I got no problems with it. I even sprayed water on the cover to clean it off.........and what do u know, no water under the cover/on the car. Its water resistant. It hugs the box well, but I think the rear part of the cover is made for a xB with a stock wing. I use it only after washing the box and drying it top to bottom.

Oh, btw, it was given to me as a x-mas present from Riverside Toyota, discounted by my uncle, of course. . The cover has NOT given any damage what so ever to the box.