First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xB wheel alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB wheel alignment.

Maybe I'm just being picky here, but I am noticing that when the car is moving in a straight line the steering wheel is turned about five degrees, (maybe more), to the left. If I line up the steering wheel level the car veers slightly to the right, enough to make a lane change in a few seconds at freeway speeds.

Is it a problem, (beyond the esthetic discomfort of seeing the wheel slightly off like that)? Could I have some pothole impact damage, or some other mechanical issue that needs fixing?

(btw: the car is less than a month in my possession, with about 700 miles on it).
Old 12-10-2004, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it shouldnt be off. yeah a pothole or hitting a curb could do it. that or it was misaligned at the factory. and as long as it doesnt pull it's not really problem.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default wheel alignment

Most of the time the rear end alignment is not correct.
This will cause your symtoms. Don't listen to a whole lot of BS, just go somewhere other than to Toyota and have the rear alignment checked. The toe in on the rear is not right.
P.S. There isn't any rear end adjustment. After you find that I am correct email me and I will help you fix you problem.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just gonna say.. the rear end uses a shock spring suspension, it can't be adjusted.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Common problem.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ignment#203541

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ignment#306543
Old 12-11-2004, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the links, Kevin. Sorry to see you've had such a hassle over yours. I'll take mine to the dealer before the first oil change and see what they say. (might even go through my salesman first, showing him these links so he knows that I know that lots of other people have been discussing this issue...maybe he'll make sure the service department does it right.)
Old 12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I wish I had known so many others were having issues before I went to arbitration, but oh well. Good luck getting yours fixed.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even if your steering wheel is "off" a few degrees It does not mean your alignment isn't correct.Your steering wheel can be 180 degrees upside down and still the car can track straight,and the alignment is perfect.No wear on the tires etc.

I do alignments all day long,great job huh?But as long as the caster,camber and toe are correct it really doesn't matter where your steering wheel was set at the time.Now if you hit a pothole and all of the sudden the steering wheel is in a crazy position and the car is tracking to the right or left,get an alignment soon as it would wear the tires.

When I purchased my xB it was cocked about 5 degrees to the left,but the car tracked fine.To correct this problem,take it to a front end shop (that know what there doing)and tell them you want the steering wheel centered.They will have to adjust the toe to do this,while using a device that holds the steering wheel in the correct position to make the adjustments.