Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Cornering Lights?

Old 06-18-2019, 05:26 PM
SL Member

Default Cornering Lights?

Well, I’ve always agreed with Groucho Marx... "I’d never join anything that would have me as a member" yet here I am again looking for betterment from the freakin internet.
I drove my 2001 Ford Focus SE wagon into the ground by 2016, and replaced it with a good used 2012 Scion xB with only 12K miles on it.
There are more things about the xB I like than there are dislikes, and I’m about ready, now that I’ve put 50K more on it, to do some customization. I’ll be more interested in function over fashion.
The first thing is those plastic covers over the 'daytime running lights' holes on either side of the front end.

Now, I am not interested in DTR lights; if I want lights on in the daytime I know how to turn the lights on. What I really want to do with those spaces is install turning lights. Not turning signals!
Once upon a time I had a 1980 Ford Thunderbird which had 'turning' lights or 'cornering' lights; these would come on steady with the actuation of a turn signal, and shine light around the corner, lighting the way sooner than the headlights would.

This, I found, very useful... so, my first area of further education is to inquire of this forum if anyone has done this, or even if anyone can highly recommend a set of DTR lights designed for these spaces,
which would shine enough light to be useful when electronically altered to function in the manner described?

Thanx.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-19-2019 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I remember having cornering lights in my 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis!

In all honesty, with the advancement of automotive lighting, I think that the corner lights have been done away with for a good reason. Bulbs/lenses have a broader spread than the sealed beam headlights of the past had. Upgrading your bulbs in the factory projector housing would give you a wider/brighter view, and that may solve the cornering lamp issue.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:22 PM
SL Member

I disagree.
First with the advancement of technology; LED lights are only brighter to look at.
Next, if you had ever driven a car with proper cornering lights you would know.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ricnoval View Post
I disagree.
First with the advancement of technology; LED lights are only brighter to look at.
Next, if you had ever driven a car with proper cornering lights you would know.
I wouldn't use LED bulbs, I'd use (which I did in my 2010 xB) an HID kit, 5000k-6000k, nothing higher since you lose light output.

I have driven cars with proper corner illumination. Like I said in my first post, I had an 89 Grand marquis.