Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Are JDM lights worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Are JDM lights worth it?

I need to replace my Eurotails. Are JDM lights worth buying?
Old 12-28-2011, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

So the Rumion tails?
That's entirely subjective. May as well just scoop up 2011+ xB2 tails brand new from TRD Sparks.
http://tinyurl.com/7sxe8ql

$102 apiece is a bit less than the $380-$400 Rumion tails.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, this is what I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400265484376&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Like to know if these went bad like the TYCs.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Those aren't JDM. Highly doubtful their place of origin was Japan.
However, I think those eBay LED tails have had a bit more success than the TYCs.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless the warranty is for at least 2 years and you know the co. will still be in business and or honor said warranty, then I wouldn't. You may find yourself in the same spot as those other lights. Buy stock it'll be less complicated. If it were me and I wanted a different look I'd smoke the stock lights.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same tails and know of several others with them. They've been on the market for over 3 years now and I've yet to have or hear of any problems with them. They appear to hold up very well. YMMV...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I have the same tails and know of several others with them. They've been on the market for over 3 years now and I've yet to have or hear of any problems with them. They appear to hold up very well. YMMV...
Yeah ! ScionFred,I have them for 2 yrs and they work just fine.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you want those? Ugly, Ricey and do absolutely NOTHING to give your Scion any respect in the parking lot lol.

I am going to start an ANTI-RICE Association here on SL...gotta help move you guys forward of where the Honda crowd was 10+ years ago...time to catch up!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ ROFLMAO^^^

You know what they say about opinions...
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ricersux
Why would you want those? Ugly, Ricey and do absolutely NOTHING to give your Scion any respect in the parking lot lol.

I am going to start an ANTI-RICE Association here on SL...gotta help move you guys forward of where the Honda crowd was 10+ years ago...time to catch up!
Don,t buy imports and find another site!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by outkasts
Don,t buy imports and find another site!
What does having an import have anything to do with it? I dont know where you all come up with this ****...from day one angel eyes, vertical doors, altezza tail lights and underglow kits have been considered retarded by all serious enthusiasts. Do any of you subscribe to magazines or visit sites like Canibeat? Do you see cars that get features, win shows and are highly respected in the scene with those mods? All I'm trying to do is mature the scion scene...like I said I feel like its the Honda scene in 1999 here and I think its a lack of being educated in how to properly modify ones car. I imagaine alot of members here are just getting into imports and have never been shown the proper side of the import scene. These silly rice mods just adds to the negative view the rest of the custom car world has towards imports.

Edit: Just to let you know...this is NOT my first or last import! I've been in the import scene since the late 90's and owned over 15 imports. My current xB has 3, thats right 3 mods and Ive won Best Overall 2nd gen xb at a scion show, Best Stance at Street Life Tour...oh and...Scion corp got in contact with me and asked that my car Rep for them at an upcoming show...again with only 3 simple clean mods!

Last edited by Ricersux; 01-02-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

What does having an import have anything to do with it? I dont know where you all come up with this ****...from day one angel eyes, vertical doors, altezza tail lights and underglow kits have been considered retarded by all serious enthusiasts. Do any of you subscribe to magazines or visit sites like Canibeat? Do you see cars that get features, win shows and are highly respected in the scene with those mods? All I'm trying to do is mature the scion scene...like I said I feel like its the Honda scene in 1999 here and I think its a lack of being educated in how to properly modify ones car. I imagaine alot of members here are just getting into imports and have never been shown the proper side of the import scene. These silly rice mods just adds to the negative view the rest of the custom car world has towards imports.

Edit: Just to let you know...this is NOT my first or last import! I've been in the import scene since the late 90's and owned over 15 imports. My current xB has 3, thats right 3 mods and Ive won Best Overall 2nd gen xb at a scion show, Best Stance at Street Life Tour...oh and...Scion corp got in contact with me and asked that my car Rep for them at an upcoming show...again with only 3 simple clean mods!
Rice burner is a pejorative describing Japanese-made—or by extension, Asian-made—motorcycles and automobiles.[1][2][3][4][5] The term is often defined as offensive or racist stereotyping.[6][7][8] In some cases users of the term assert that it is not offensive or racist,[9][10] or else treat the term as a humorous, mild put-down rather than a racial slur.[11][12][13]
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry, is your pu$$y hurt? Wtf...go back to hole you came from newb (hope the term newbie isnt too deragatory for you).
Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Those aren't JDM. Highly doubtful their place of origin was Japan.
Where the part is manufactured doesn't have anything to do with it being "JDM" or not.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reactor
Where the part is manufactured doesn't have anything to do with it being "JDM" or not.
Nowhere in that post does it state "made in Japan", just place of origin. JDM = Japanese domestic market. The xB is a USDM vehicle, but made in Japan. The Rumion, JDM xB, uses entirely different tail lights. Not just in aesthetics, but size as well (they're in fact slightly smaller). Therefore, the aforementioned tail lights could not be considered JDM and I highly doubt they're even sold in Japan.

School is over, you're welcome.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I highly agree with a lot of this, but I've always been more of a fan of "doing me".
I've grown tired and bored with the current state of the Scion scene and I've been finding ideas and inspiration elsewhere. The lack of aftermarket support is no help, either.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

While I think this is slightly extreme although I do see a lot of people doing stupid crap to their cars on Scion forums. I do think people should be better in showing their disgust in retard mods such as lambo doors. Unfortunately it seems that too many people on the forums support each other no matter how bad they ruin their ride. I don't think enough people understand the definition of clean. Not that it's that rice or anything but just plain stupid. I think it would be better to say: those tails look bad, save your money for nice ones or coilovers/wheels or something.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by outkasts
Rice burner is a pejorative describing Japanese-made—or by extension, Asian-made—motorcycles and automobiles.[1][2][3][4][5] The term is often defined as offensive or racist stereotyping.[6][7][8] In some cases users of the term assert that it is not offensive or racist,[9][10] or else treat the term as a humorous, mild put-down rather than a racial slur.[11][12][13]
Dude, If you have any experience with the car scene you would know that is an outdated definition of what that means to enthusiasts. People rice the hell outta domestics too. It is in no way racist when car enthusiasts use it to describe a stupid car/person with dumb mods
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Exhibit One, A "ricer" who has riced out an old BMW 5 series with:

EDIT: btw I took this today

Name:  lmkHA.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  249.9 KB
-stupid tails
-distasteful body kit
-sub par wheels for a car that deserves VIP
-//M Motorsport banners and badges

This man was obviously trying to make his car look like something it is not therefore making him a ricer. Not even a Japanese car.

Quick Reply: Are JDM lights worth it?