Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yay or Nay?

i'm planning on adding a few chrome accents to my car and switching over to toyata badges. the plan is to install the front and rear chrome toyota emblems as well as the chrome trim piece f the rumion on the hatch. those are the definately will do pieces.

im a little on the fence about the door handles. there is no way i can justify spending hundreds on actual chrome handles, but i came across some covers on ebay that might fit the bill. what do you guys think? too tacky or what>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"We highly recommand the use of a professional for installation. "

I lol'd @ that one.

In my personal opinion, I think this is a little too tacky but you do as you like. They say it installs over the existing one with 3m tape only? that's easy and all but it's just an abs plastic cover... soon enough you'll end up like this:

first few months it looks cool and all. but then the pieces fade and I've seen the fare share of faded-chrome trim pieces and it's not as nice, but that's my $0.02

Good lukc with your desition.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nay, that ebayer doesn't even have pictures for it...aha
Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

covers are tacky.

either do it right and buy the genuine toyota part... or just forget about it.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True, imitation chrome chips and all that stuff.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nay to all the chrome.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not even one yay. i figured. i know they'll be cheap but it'll suck getting some real ones. i might have to scour some junk yards and see if i get lucky. anyone know what factory handles work on the xb2?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally have had both and the covers are tacky I would save up and get the real deals....it just gives it that complete and clean look imo don't do the chrome pillars ......... our handles are the same as rav 4, 9th gen corolla, and I believe the lexus 330
Old 10-15-2009, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found the authentic JDM chrome pieces for the xB2/Rumion and you're looking around $130 or so for door handles. Then $150-160 for a chrome trim for the tailgate.

For the door handles, I bought the eBay chrome trim and it looks nice on it. I also bought the chrome door pillars and it looks great. The truth is I'm really going the trip route on those small aesthetics. The advantage of them is that they're easily replaceable. I spent under $100 for all this chrome and it still looks like brand new (but then again, I do my best to take care of the box's exterior).

Here's a quick shot. It looks great up close, but when you're farther away, it's harder to see it on my CSM box:
Name:  20091013_05.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  81.4 KB

Of course, the next stuff I'm getting is all JDM stuff imported. I'm going for a chrome/black/yellow theme on my box, and once it's done, it'll look awesome.

I might get some widow visors on there, too, but I'm leaning towards the WeatherTech ones. I'll have to cut them to modify it so that it fits over the chrome trim. A lot of people bash chrome, but it only looks tacky if it's over done.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nay to chrome
Old 10-18-2009, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does Scion say?...... Brought together by our diversity? Or something like that. I guess it's to each his own, but for me, nay to chrome IMHO. But if you go with it, do it right or not at all. Plastic vs. real? Real every time. Good things come to those who wait.

I say think it over with a Twix Bar...... you may change your mind.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nay on chrome
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm the only one who says yay so... majority wins! No on chrome!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the chrome hate is strong on this forum. chrome can and does look good. you just have to walk that fine line between tasteful and retarded.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
the chrome hate is strong on this forum. chrome can and does look good. you just have to walk that fine line between tasteful and retarded.

Yes, you are right.

Now...the question is: Who's done it so we can draw a line on what's tasteful and not? I guess it's a blind game 'til someone does.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
I found the authentic JDM chrome pieces for the xB2/Rumion and you're looking around $130 or so for door handles. Then $150-160 for a chrome trim for the tailgate.

For the door handles, I bought the eBay chrome trim and it looks nice on it. I also bought the chrome door pillars and it looks great. The truth is I'm really going the trip route on those small aesthetics. The advantage of them is that they're easily replaceable. I spent under $100 for all this chrome and it still looks like brand new (but then again, I do my best to take care of the box's exterior).

Here's a quick shot. It looks great up close, but when you're farther away, it's harder to see it on my CSM box:

Of course, the next stuff I'm getting is all JDM stuff imported. I'm going for a chrome/black/yellow theme on my box, and once it's done, it'll look awesome.

I might get some widow visors on there, too, but I'm leaning towards the WeatherTech ones. I'll have to cut them to modify it so that it fits over the chrome trim. A lot of people bash chrome, but it only looks tacky if it's over done.

TBH the shark fin + wing + chrome looks overdone to me. Can you post pics of the whole car in different angles to see how it looks? Maybe I'm talking ahead of myself...

Pretty plz? hehehe
Old 10-19-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Century
TBH the shark fin + wing + chrome looks overdone to me. Can you post pics of the whole car in different angles to see how it looks? Maybe I'm talking ahead of myself...

Pretty plz? hehehe
He had a whole thread on his car with other shots, it was pretty cool, actually. I forgot where the thread was though, search his posts.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

If you're going to get the chrome handles, hatch garnish, and Toyota badges, go for the VIP style. If you have gunmetal, black, bronze, etc wheels, then that's a nay for the chrome parts.

You can build your car to your tastes, but it's my opinion to stick to certain styles. You don't have to go all out VIP style with the chrome pillars (not my personal style), but handles and garnish would (and does) look killer.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

show pictures of the whole car and let people speak on the chrome! you can pull off chrome if you do it right, but if its gonna be stick on stuff i say naw... get the real deal you will be more satisfied. go real or go home
Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do chrome tc wheels if youre going to run chrome

Quick Reply: Yay or Nay?