Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Brian Crower Cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brian Crower Cams

Does anyone know if the Brian Crower cams for the tC fit the new xB? I know the have the same engines so I don't see why they wouldn't. If they do, is anyone using them in their xB? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see no reason why they wouldn't.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kms_tuning
Does anyone know if the Brian Crower cams for the tC fit the new xB? I know the have the same engines so I don't see why they wouldn't. If they do, is anyone using them in their xB? Thanks in advance!
Some engines respond very well to aftermarket cams... the 2AZ-FE does not. Unless you're planning to have your head P&P, add a new intake mani, larger TB, CAI, header, full exhaust and a piggyback to make it all work, save your money.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ ScionFred I'm almost there on the list of items you mentioned for cam upgrade but define - head P&P, add a new intake mani, larger TB.

I'm not a mechanic, go easy on me bro....lol!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the intake mani but the head P&P and larger TB got me scratching my head, I hate acronyms although it is becoming a new language as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Charock
I got the intake mani but the head P&P and larger TB got me scratching my head.
head P&P = port & polish the head
larger TB = larger throttle body
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ ScionFred I'm almost there on the list of items you mentioned for cam upgrade but define - head P&P, add a new intake mani, larger TB.

I'm not a mechanic, go easy on me bro....lol!
head P&P: Port and polish

Larger TB: Throttle body upgrade

From what I've seen, cams alone add little without supporting mods to help the engine breath better. With boost it's easy to overcome such restrictions by simply forcing more air & fuel in but when NA (normally aspirated) it's essential to reduce all such restrictions since you're relying solely on the engine's efficiency as a vacuum pump. Without changing the bore and stroke, the engine can only draw in so much air and fuel and is limited by the sum of the restrictions in the intake and exhaust pathways. Cams are a part of the equation but (IMO) won't add much without head work (P&P), header, full exhaust, throttle body, etc.

IMHO it will cost about the same to build a 200+whp 2AZ as it costs to turbocharge it for 300+whp. If you feel comfortable doing it, you will probably like the results you get from porting and polishing your throttle body. It's cheap and effective. I posted a DIY for it several months back.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161347
Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand your point it makes sense but the reason I've been torn with boosting is the extra's. Eventually clutch, fuel pump, tune, etc... I can't afford to have my car in the shop once a month, thats my real issue, I just don't have the time for that. But at the same time, smoking your tires launching in third must be an awesome feeling...
Old 03-02-2010, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand your point it makes sense but the reason I've been torn with boosting is the extra's. Eventually clutch, fuel pump, tune, etc... I can't afford to have my car in the shop once a month, thats my real issue, I just don't have the time for that. But at the same time, smoking your tires launching in third must be an awesome feeling...
It's all relative to your HP goals. If you can live with 250whp, all you'd really need is a turbo kit, injectors, clutch, gauges and a unichip re-tune. It's still not cheap though. I'd budget $5000 even though you might get away with considerably less.

Honestly IMO there are only two good performance options for the XB. Add ~$1000 worth of bolt-ons and live with ~175whp or spend $5000 to boost it and live with <300whp. The third option and probably the most practical, is to buy another car with the performance you want built-in at the factory.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude you are so right on point. Me and my wife plan on getting a SUV sometime towards the end of the year hopefully 0%, cash back, and gov rebate if I'm fortunate. Once I do that the XB will be one out of my three cars and then I'll probably decide. I'm gonna enjoy the bolt ons for the summer and I must admit they have made the car more fun especially the suspension upgrade.

Once that time comes, if the boost options don't get better for the xb, I'll probably just leave it the way it is and tackle the sound system a bit. I'm thinking of Dynomating the car, change speakers, and drop in my 10 year old sub that is just sitting and collecting dust. I could imagine whats gonna blow out of those air holes once she's fired up.

Oh yea, I called Ancla and they said they could have a kit ready in a week if I wanted but I'm just so against being a guinea pig. Thats why I created that thread "boosted biographies" but as dezod stated, the demand is just not there.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude you are so right on point. Me and my wife plan on getting a SUV sometime towards the end of the year hopefully 0%, cash back, and gov rebate if I'm fortunate. Once I do that the XB will be one out of my three cars and then I'll probably decide. I'm gonna enjoy the bolt ons for the summer and I must admit they have made the car more fun especially the suspension upgrade.

Once that time comes, if the boost options don't get better for the xb, I'll probably just leave it the way it is and tackle the sound system a bit. I'm thinking of Dynomating the car, change speakers, and drop in my 10 year old sub that is just sitting and collecting dust. I could imagine whats gonna blow out of those air holes once she's fired up.

Oh yea, I called Ancla and they said they could have a kit ready in a week if I wanted but I'm just so against being a guinea pig. Thats why I created that thread "boosted biographies" but as dezod stated, the demand is just not there.
If you get a Rav4 with the 268hp 3.5L V6, that might satisfy your performance goals. 0-60 in 6.5 secs is pretty quick for an SUV. The Subaru Forrester 2.5XT and Outback 3.6R are very quick too. You also have some excellent hybrid SUVs to choose from too with tax credits

I think you have the right idea. Enjoy what you have for now, mod the audio, etc. and make an informed decision later. Investing $5000 in a $17k econobox isn't a wise financial decision and not for everyone.

What I like best about the Ancla/Treadstone kit is the durable cast iron manifold. The fitment and performance are questionable since no one on SL has it. I remember someone getting the Ancla kit several months ago but they never posted anything about it. The World Motorsports kit looks like the best XB2 kit available. They might even sell you the new ver 2 kit minus the FIC and harness if you ask nicely. Unichip might not be the best EM for it but it should work okay for <300whp. Maybe more but since it tunes fuel by altering the MAF signal like a SAFC or E-Manage blue, you'll probably have a constant CEL.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeh there's quite a few suv's out there with some hustle and muscle. I like the Acura RDX a lil better then the RAV 4 looks wise and they perform about the same Acura a few more bucks though. Either way I'll just chill I keep saying to myself I want to boost but boy all the other things I could do with $4000 and less headache, like you said purchase another car and rock the box for the time being.

The problem that pokes at me too with these kits are none are proven over long term.

Any how your provide good solid forum input, keep up the good work ace!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you need a tuner "fix" while deciding on the boost, I see that you don't yet have a strut brace. A custom 2.5" scuba delete center exhaust section would also be nice and be of benefit if you do go turbo. You could also port and polish your throttle body, it's good for a few more ponies.

Not meaning to tempt you but the new Descendant turbo kit looks sweet. Talk to Madmarx about his kit and plan on needing a tune even with the PnP kit. You might not but he did. $5000 should almost cover the kit, gauges and a tune.

or just buy a Porsche Cayenne...
Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be hesitant to put tC engine parts on a xB. The xB has slightly less displacement than the tC, probably why the tC is speced out at a higher hp. Also I can tell you for sure that a tC valve cover can't be used on a xB, it will fit just fine but then the coils stick up about a 1/4 inch.

I like to think that less displacement means the block is slightly thicker and thus slightly stronger

Sure you might get bye for 5k. But after adding clutch, lsd, exhaust, custom intake, and a crack like addiction to modifying your car, don't be surprised when you review your banking and discover that 50% of your spending has been automotive related over the last year, ouch. I swear I'll stop soon just this one last part and she'll be complete, oh do you have that in blue? lol