Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

" help needed "to decide which intake to get

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default " help needed "to decide which intake to get

i have great experience with FUJITA CAI but i kinda want a change. i know friends who own different products and it really depend on me that i know but i just can't make up my mind. theres too many things i think of before i get any one of the products so i have a few questions hoping fellow owners can help me out.

FUJITA, INJEN, AEM, WEAPON-R, TRD ( i want CAI ONLY)

1. how does the horse power and torque gains different from one another within the RPM range? in other word i want dyno numbers

2. which is easier to install?

3. which one have a cleaner look?

4. which one sounds better? the difference in sounds like which one is the loudest one of the group and which is the quietest one of the group.

5. overall quality? the fitment, materials, bends, type of bends and polish

6. where can i get the best price? i've checked it out on ebay, prices is including shipping ( TRD CAI $316.99 ) ( FUJITA CAI $220.59 ) ( INJEN CAI $280.44 ) i haven't find anything on AEM and WEAPON-R not sure where i can get it also.

7. this is for the TRD CAI owners. can you take a picture of the 50 states legal certificate? and if it show on the CAI it self i would like to see a picture of that as well? try to get a really good close up too THANX alot for your help.

well thats it for now and i really appreciate all the info that i get from all you fellow XB2 owners. THANK YOU ALL so much in advance

i just want whats best for my baby
Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member

As with everything its all about personal choice. I went with the fujita based on price, fit and finish. I felt that it was the overall best value. The only advantage I could see in any other CAI would be in the TRD. I don't feel that you'll get hassled as much by the dealer when you take it in. The upside to the AEM and Fujita over the TRD is that they use an oil free filter.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. except for the injen there are no real publicized dyno graphs

2. all things equal being that the bumper and battery are removed, they are about the same difficulty. the TRD does require a more clumsy air box though.

3. all of them replace the ugly stock air box so they all have a pretty clean look. the AEM and Weapon-R is the only one that goes through the space between the battery and the ECU rather than going over the battery like others. the fujitas do have the option for different powder coated colors like bronze and black as opposed to the polished of the others.

4. sound levels are determined by what resonates through the pipe. the TRD and Weapon-R are probably the quietest because the TRD has a proper air box to baffle some of the sound and i have heard the Weapon-R and its more civil sounding than their short ram

5. if youre afraid of scuffing up the polished pipes then i say get the fujita in black. as for quality they are all big names and they are top quality. ive only seen the Weapon-R prototype CAI so i am not sure of final product yet.

6. ptuning is a sponsor on this site and they have a coupon banner ad on the top of this page for 5% off. they have pretty good prices on AEM, Injen, Fujita. the TRD you can get from sparks, carson, or scionpartspeople for a good price.

for me i got the AEM cause while i worked for a shop i was responsible for the "noob" work (wheels tires intakes) and of all the different intakes that i installed the K&N and AEM intakes were the ones that looked like they were designed by someone that understands that real people work on their car.
for the xB the tucked the pipe between the battery and the ECU so that the battery can be taken out easily without having to dissasemble the intake..

edit:
ptuning (AEM,Injen, Fujita) http://www.ptuning.com/html/discount...id=ptscionlife
carson (TRD) http://www.newscionparts.com/index.php?id=135
sparks (TRD) http://www.trdsparks.com/scion_xB_2008.htm
Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you miktf1 for a great amount info. you have provided.

so do you think all CAI makes equal improvements? of course sum claim to produce more but overall form what you mention seems that i can't go wrong with any one of them.

do you know where i can find pic of all these CAI products installed to the XB2?

thanx again
Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's a shot of the trd cai installed, and for the install you don't have to remove the front bumper, just some of the fasteners on the driver's wheel well. also is a pic of the included side scoop (although you can get them from a couple aftermarket grill sellers carriage works and the like...)

and a pic of the TRD CARB sticker

Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DAILYXB-TYPE-R
thank you miktf1 for a great amount info. you have provided.

so do you think all CAI makes equal improvements? of course sum claim to produce more but overall form what you mention seems that i can't go wrong with any one of them.

do you know where i can find pic of all these CAI products installed to the XB2?

thanx again
haha not all CAIs are alike. the TRD makes the least power of the bunch at a claimed 6HP. this is because there is a relatively restrictive air box. the other CAIs have open filters. i think that the AEM, Injen, Fujita make about the same power probably about 6-9HP seeing that they have similar diameter and length piping and filter differences wont be noticeable. the weapon-r is a toss up ive yet to see the final product.

i have the AEM and here is my thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=216697

simplexb's Injen thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211098

NoLimitzInd's Fujita thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=217653

toober75's black Fujita thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207809
Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Im going with the Fujita CAI, i wanted the TRD but after seeing it and reviewing it with the other's i rather have the open filter and not a box in the fender. Im gonna be going with the Black set up gonna be ordering it from NoLimitzInd's.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You won't get any better service than NoLimitz!

Good decision.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanx again miketf1 with providing great info and thanx for all of the response. i read up more with the links you provide which is great help so once i've decided i'll post it up with pic and maybe videos
Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanx again miketf1 with providing great info and thanx for all of the response. i read up more with the links you provide which is great help so once i've decided i'll post it up with pic and maybe videos
Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I am running the Fujita intake. It does go through the area of the battery and the ECU. It is not hard to install either. If you are worried about scratching the tubing. Wrap it in blue tape first and then put it in. I have done that many times. You can also just put some rags around the area you are working on and go that route. I will have the fujita intake on the site here in the next couple days.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've seen the pics for the injen but it wasn't clear saying does it go behind the battery ( fujita ) or is it like trd?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the Fujita and the AEM both go through the space between the battery and the ECU. i debated between the two when i bought my intake i and thought that the AEM made more sense because the rubber/silicone connector is in the stock air box location. that allows me to place a bypass valve there later on so i get some back-up protection when the rain comes along.

the injen and TRD both go over the rear corner of the battery by the positive terminal. though the positive terminal is kinda rarely used cause it is possible to find other ground points, its still kind of weird to have it cross over the battery.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miketf1
the Fujita and the AEM both go through the space between the battery and the ECU. i debated between the two when i bought my intake i and thought that the AEM made more sense because the rubber/silicone connector is in the stock air box location. that allows me to place a bypass valve there later on so i get some back-up protection when the rain comes along.

the injen and TRD both go over the rear corner of the battery by the positive terminal. though the positive terminal is kinda rarely used cause it is possible to find other ground points, its still kind of weird to have it cross over the battery.
erm...negative terminal
Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lvbitwiz, do you mean that it touches the - terminal or does it sit on top of it?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

The TRD does not touch the battery at all. It kind of hovers above it. No worries. Even if it did touch the negative terminal, I wouldn't see anything happening. Both sides of the metal tube part of the intake are insulated from the body via the silicone hoses.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Does anyone know what Intake has the bigger diameter pipeing out of all the intakes??
Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by DREWxB08
Does anyone know what Intake has the bigger diameter pipeing out of all the intakes??
I heard the Injen is 8" in diamater...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xserverdveqanx, thanx for info coz its some things to concern when i only seen the pics
what intake do have at the moment?
do you feel a difference?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'm kidding about the Injen. I'd imagine they'd all be about the same in diamater. But I could be wrong.

I currently have the TRD and I'm happy with it. I can't say I could say I felt an immediate change, but I really didn't. I don't really see my xB2 as a race car. I liked the fact that the TRD came with the cool little vent and openned up the engine bay a bit.

Quick Reply: " help needed "to decide which intake to get