Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help troubleshooting engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:53 PM

Default Help troubleshooting engine noise

Hello!

Yesterday after one short drive I fired up my car (2008 Scion xB) again to discover it had decided to start making The Most Annoying Sound In the Universe. It's a somewhat high-pitched whirring/whining sound emanating from the serpentine belt-side of the engine. However, this particular noise does not sound like what I usually associate with belt noise (squealing) though there does seems to be a faint hot (but not burnt) rubbery smell. A quick search turns up that it could indicate other issues but since it's hard to match the descriptions of sounds to a particular issue I'm still scratching my head.

I only just recently had the car into the dealership for its 35k service which allegedly including checking belts and the works. I will say that since the service I've noticed some odd noises but nothing that would occur on a consistent basis or that I could otherwise put my finger on. Until now.

Here is a link to a video where one can hear the noise from inside the car. My phone mutes it somewhat but you can get a good idea of it:

At the moment I am just trying to determine if I should absolutely not drive anywhere except straight to a garage or if I can at least squeeze in a couple of short drive errands.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any advice or suggestions!

-Merry
Old 09-20-2018, 09:08 AM
SIT
SL Member

Sounds like a bad bearing.

Try a mechanics stethoscope.