Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I lost my keys. dealership guys help please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I lost my keys. dealership guys help please?

I lost my keys the other night and my cars stuck at my buddies house. The dealership is closed on sunday so I can't get a new copy. Does anyone know or have idea of how much it will cost to get a new key programed? I don't have an alram if that matters.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it will cost around 200 for a new key, ive replaced mine already
Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB comes with 3 keys; 2 that control door locks, and one that does not.
Did you lose all 3? If not, then your car shouldn't be "stuck" at your buddies house.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, if you have some of the other keys, you can always take one to a locksmith and they can cut you a replacement on a generic key blank. Our keys don't have an immobilizer chip in them, so you don't need anything "programmed", unless you want your remote fob. You could look on eBay for a replacement key fob, sometimes they have cheap replacements that your dealership could program.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
You could look on eBay for a replacement key fob, sometimes they have cheap replacements that your dealership could program.
Yup, they're all over eBay for around $75, but I have no idea what dealerships charge for programming. I know when I worked at Acura that the doorlock programming could be done by anybody that knew the special sequence of ignition turns and fob button pushes. If you know somebody that can do this for you, it might not cost anything additional other than to have the key cut.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if yu are buying a new key through the dealership, be careful wh you go to. I was recently loking to get my car rekayed and ra into alot of Bs people at dealerships that were either A retarded or B just asshats. Toyota of garden grove wanted a grand to switch my ignition key barrel so I told them to shuve it. Longo had no idea what to do and told me to drop my car off so they could figure it out, kept telling me it had an immobilizer even though it does not. The guy there was a total tool, he was insisting I dropped my car off so they could figure it out. Why would they need my car to figure out the standard ignition/keyset that every xb2 on thier lot has?

I finally got ahold of the shop foreman at toyota of orange and he looked up the part numbers and what not through my vin. The door key barrel, ignitin barrel, one regular key, and one valet key is $157 for the set. He said it is only about an hour labor to switch the barrels, and program the key.

Moral of the story, be careful of what the dealers say they are all full of poop for the most part. Dont let them take advantage of your situation.

Also the alarm and key programing I believe is the same as most other newer toyota/scions. I found directions on toyotanation with step by step directions on how to program a new key and erase old keys from its memory. Its late and I've had one to many vodka redbulls to find it right now, but it just popped up on gogle when I found it. G'luck ad hope some dumb dealership doesnt try to bend ya over.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

did you lose all keys?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i lost all three keys. So yeah it was "stuck" but i went to the dealership and they cut me a new copy of the valet key for free. Just until i get the extra 200 bucks to buy another keyless entry. Thanks for eveyones input, im gunna look into the ebay thing
Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by devastator
yes i lost all three keys.

Bet ya never do that again...

$70 for remote key blanks at eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmp...+key&_osacat=0