Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New xB oil and filter info?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New xB oil and filter info?

I was just wondering what the recommended oil was for the new xB and if it uses the same oil filter that the RAV4 and other 2.4 engines use? I am going to be ordering some Amsoil oil and filters and wanted to get the right stuff. I hope to be getting a new xB in a month or so.

Al
Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New xB oil and filter info?

Originally Posted by al74dart
I was just wondering what the recommended oil was for the new xB and if it uses the same oil filter that the RAV4 and other 2.4 engines use? I am going to be ordering some Amsoil oil and filters and wanted to get the right stuff. I hope to be getting a new xB in a month or so.

Al
Don't know about the oil filter. Recommended oil is 5W-20 or 0W-20. Amsoil should be great.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Amsoil EaO 09 is the correct filter. It's the same filter the other Scions use.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you use the amsoil 10 filter its bigger ?
if you have a fleet farmby you amsoil is 5.99QT
Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good question... it fits the 2.4L Camry, so I don't see why not. I know my dealership uses the smaller filter for the xA and xD, and a bigger filter for the tC and '08 xB's.

I find it strange that all the aftermarket filter manufacturers use the same filter for all the scions (including the 2.4L's), but the 2.4L camry uses a bigger filter. Different engineering?? Or just coincidence?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiXX
Good question... it fits the 2.4L Camry, so I don't see why not. I know my dealership uses the smaller filter for the xA and xD, and a bigger filter for the tC and '08 xB's.

I find it strange that all the aftermarket filter manufacturers use the same filter for all the scions (including the 2.4L's), but the 2.4L camry uses a bigger filter. Different engineering?? Or just coincidence?
I used to work at a car shop and I don't recall if I ever changed a first gen xB or xA. But I do recall thinking when I worked there that there were only 2 different oil filters across the Toyota lineup. There was one for all engines 2.4 and lower.(The 2AZ-FE being the largest engine I've put one of those on, mostly in tC's) and then there was another one for any engine 2.4L and larger, but in this case I'm referring to the 2.4L they were putting in trucks, which was a different engine that just happened to have the same displacement.

Camry's would throw us off pulling in cause we used to like having the filter for a car in our hands by seeing them pull into the parking lot and having it out before they were in the garage. But since the Camry had a 1 or 3MZ-FE or the 2AZ-FE we would have to look for the logo on the car or just wait until it was in the garage. Something like a Corolla or Tacoma was easy cause they're all the same filter regardless of engine.

Something that has thrown me off from this two oil filter thing is that my sister got an xD last July, and when she brought it in for her first change they said they didn't have the filters for it yet. Which led me to believe there's a new third filter in the lineup. I dunno though, these are just observations I've made when I worked at that shop.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same deal with Pennzoil... pz39 (smaller) pz38 (bigger). I prefer the 38 of course.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You ***** you!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sort of on the same line of questioning: Will the Toyota 90915-YZZG1 filters work on the xB2?

My dad gave me a bunch of them that he had for his old Tacoma. I know they will work on my '94 Toyota pickup, but it would be nice if they fit the xB2 too.

Dan.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The one that's spec'd for the xB2 is 90915-YZZF2

At least according to what the dealership sold me, as well as what was listed on the invoice for my first free oil change.

(trdsparks.com lists it as 90915-YYZF1, now I need to find out what the difference is.)
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 AM

Default Use Toyota filters or does it really matter

I have an '07 RAV4 and now the '08 XB. Have had a Camry and Tacoma in the past. The local Toyota dealer is always compelled to bring up the topic of using Toyota brand oil filters on my cars because of the design features. I never go for it but maybe I should.... what do you think? Does it really matter.

They also tried to sell me some undercoating when I bought the XB but it just brought to mind the pathetic William J. Macy character in Fargo.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw the undercoating, but I'd stick with the Toyota oil filters; just buy them by the 10-pack from trdsparks.com $35.50 for 10 instead of $5.41 each from the dealership (that's a 34% savings). I'm having a local shop that I know do my oil changes with my Toyota filters and my synthetic oil. Cheaper than going to the dealership, and I feel a lot better about the quality of the service I receive.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:34 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

the difference between the YZZF1 and YZZF2 is a matter of size lengthwise... nothing much else after that. screws in the same.

also... of all the filters i've seen and used... the Toyota OEM filters are by far more superior than even the more expensive brand ones.

as far as oil? you can use whatever synthetic you like.. but filters? Toyota's FTW.

(btw, you want the YZZF1... it's the longer of the two)
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks SquallLHeart, now I understand why TRDsparks sells the 10-packs of YZZF1.
After I use the one F2 I have, I'll be getting the F1's.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Great info about filters but what about oil? What are people running for oil type and brand? Conventional, Syn-blend, or Full Synthetic?

Jay
Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im too lazy to check the manual now, but it needs 4 quarts of oil right?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a little over 4 quarts with a filter.

Al
Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Anyone already/plan on using 5w20 all the time instead of 0w20. Both are listed in the manual, 0w20 is recommended for better fuel economy and cold starting. It's damn near impossible to find 0w20 around here but I can get 5w20 anywhere. Plus I was talking to a guy that used to do oil changes for the dealership where I bought my car, he said the lowest they had when he was there was 5w20. So even if I went there I probably wouldn't get 0w20.

I'm just wondering if there could be any long term engine life issues if using 5w20 over 0w20.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the engine allows both I doubt there would be any problems with either.

I can actually buy 0w-20 here at my walmart. Same with 5w-20 and so on, but they don't sell individual quarts of 0w-20, only the gallons.

Im debating which to use when I do my first change after my freebies are used. 0w-20 would be the best choice im guessing, but since it wont be that cold when that time comes, is there a point? What would you guys do?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have only changed my oil once so far but I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30, not the extended life stuff. I live in Arizona and go to Mexico often and just wanted the little extra protection you get from the 5W-30 weight oil. I change the oil at 5,000 miles and am using the Purolator PL14477 PureOne oil filters. I get my oil at Wal Mart at a very good price, 5 quart bottle. I have heard that Scion puts synthetic oil in at the factory.

Al

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New xB oil and filter info?