Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

notchy 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default notchy 5spd

Do the 5spds in all the 2nd Gens feel real notchy? I bought my 2012 with 5400 miles on it, and it has shifted like crap from day one. I have to shift it like a dump truck, nice and slow. It gets better once the tranny is warmed up, but never really ever feels smooth. Some mornings, if its cold enough, I'll even get a bit of a "crunch" going into 2nd the first couple times, warmer mornings its fine. I've got some amsoil manual transmission oil waiting to go in it at my next oil change, hoping that helps. I think most of the issue is due to these cars handing onto the revs so long when shifting, not allowing the engine and tranny RPMs to match up fast enough, but I just wanted to see if anyone elses xb shifts like this or if maybe I should have it checked out. My guess is they would just tell me is normal anyways

Last edited by afoulk; 09-20-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea bro mine feels like that too. Let off the gas before u kick in the clutch. Just a split second before. And shift a lil above 2500.

Doesnt help that the throws are so dam long
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks, I was getting worried. I used to have a dodge ram with the 24v Cummins and the six speed and it shifted about the same, but the clutch master cyl was starting to leak on it, I was worried I might have an issue with the clutch on my scion. I'm guessing the long throws actually help, I would think if they were shorter, that would give the synchros less time to do their thing. I know some guys autox their xbs,, I just couldn't imagine shifting it fast enough for something like that
Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

On a side note, where is the master cylinder for the clutch on these, I don'tsee one on the fire wall anywhere? Under the dash?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read somewhere that changing the bushings on the linkage helps but i havent thought of it that much.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

master cylinder is built into the brake master cylinder. I get a small crunch when I shift into 3rd unless I shift EXTREMELY slow, and I have Royal Purple gear oil in my tranny....I don't know what else to to other than trying to adjust my clutch.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would a short shifter help with this at all
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I have the TRD Quckshifter, NST bushings, Fortune Auto titanium ****, Weapon-R torque dampener, and Amsoil synthetic gear oil. My shifting is a little notchy, but I like it. Everything is firm and solid, absolutely no slop.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the same problem. I Got in a 5spd matrix at work. Does the same thing. A friend of mine swears its the slave cylinder going bad. I had it unbolted one day and put it back on and I noticed a slight difference.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys can definitely check out TWM Performance for some cable bushings. It'll make your shift a lot more composed and more certain, increasing driver feedback levels HUGELY! You're going to LOVE our TWM Performance bushings, it's a NIGHT and DAY difference ;)

http://www.twmperformance.com/bushin...ushing-kit.php

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish you guys woulda or us a short shifter. Had one in my Tc and loved it please make one for the xb
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member

I just worry about the "crunching" causing premature wear to the syncros, but it sounds like its something we just have to life with
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by domoboiz
I wish you guys woulda or us a short shifter. Had one in my Tc and loved it please make one for the xb

http://axxtion.com/Scion.html
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually have the shift busings! They are great! This crunch just appeared as it's getting colder though.

I adjusted my clutch pedal engagement a bit, and it's nowhere near as bad.

If I try to shift into third without going :second-neutral-third: (with at least a 1/2 second gap between each part , I get a nice little grind).
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The stock fluid sucks, I changed it at 5k miles. Tried redline mt-90 and then mt-90/mtl mix and both were ok but sucked in cold weather. Im now 2 years on eneos mtf and its awesome.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

Whats the procedure for adjusting the clutch free travel? I wasn't aware you could do this on these.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a write up somewhere...I will check for it.

There is a nut/bolt connecting the pedal to the master cylinder behind the pedal. Adjusting it will adjust the clutch engagement point. the nut on mine had worked itself loose and gotten a decent amount of play in it.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 AM

I just start out in 2nd gear and it shifts great.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member

Well, I changed my tranny oil a couple weekends ago, and used the Amsoil stuff. So far, I'm not impressed. Its even harder to get into 2nd when cold, and once warmed up, it does go into gear ok, but I can just barely feel the teeth on the sycros mesh as it goes into gear sometimes. Its almost as if the Amsoil stuff is a little "slicker" than the factory stuff and doesn't allow the syncros to slow the gears down fast enough to engage smoothly. I might try the Eneos stuff yet, and if that doesn't work, I might take it to the dealer have the clutch adjustment checked. If its not that, I think I'll just stick with the toyota stuff.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dudes! It's a Toaster! Quit power shifting and stuff. LOL

Ronnie

Quick Reply: notchy 5spd