Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

notchy 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member

wanted to let you guys know that I may have been wrong about the amsoil stuff. Now that I have a couple thousand miles on it, it seems to be shifting smoother. I don't know if it was just a matter of the additives in the amsoil taking time to bond themselves to the transmission internals or what, but its definately gotten better since I changed it. Whether its better than the stock stuff, its hard to say, but so far its not to bad. I will definately be giving the Eneos stuff a try the next time around
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just brought Amsoil to replace the Royal Purple I put in 45k ago for the same reason you said. It's hard to get it into 2nd gear when cold. I did my first gear lupe change at 100k. I also have a 5speed. I forgot where is the fill bolt?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member

my brand new 12 is like that but my 05 tc was the same way. like severed said bushings and a short shifter eliminated it. i'll def be doing it in my xb soon!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JoeSpeed
I just brought Amsoil to replace the Royal Purple I put in 45k ago for the same reason you said. It's hard to get it into 2nd gear when cold. I did my first gear lupe change at 100k. I also have a 5speed. I forgot where is the fill bolt?
sorry, havn't been on in awhile. The drain plug is on the driver side of the diff, at the bottom. if you look on the same side, closer to the front of the car, you will see the fill plug, looks the same as the drain plug. mine had a sticker on it saying to check the owners manual before filling. I used a hand pump to put my new gear oil in. Interested to hear how yours shifts when your done.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Olie
my brand new 12 is like that but my 05 tc was the same way. like severed said bushings and a short shifter eliminated it. i'll def be doing it in my xb soon!
See, this seems odd to me. I could see the bushings maybe helping somewhat, but I would think that the short throw shifter would only make the problem worse. If a short throw shifter actually shortens the through, allowing for quicker shifts, I would think this gives the syncro's less time to match up the the shaft speeds.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 AM

My 2012 does the same thing, mostly when the temps are cold, slight notchy shift from 1st to 2nd. Another thing I feel is when coming to a stop and pushing the shifter into 1st gear, yet another syncro crunch. I don't think shifter bushings or quick throw shifters will fix this.

Mike
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member

These are the same tranny's that the 1st gens use though aren't they? Just seems odd that no one has this issue with them, just the 2nd gens.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by afoulk
See, this seems odd to me. I could see the bushings maybe helping somewhat, but I would think that the short throw shifter would only make the problem worse. If a short throw shifter actually shortens the through, allowing for quicker shifts, I would think this gives the syncro's less time to match up the the shaft speeds.
Adding a short shifter doesn't improve shift smoothness, if anything, it's likely to accentuate any roughness/notchiness. Same goes for hard shift cable bushings.

Originally Posted by afoulk
These are the same tranny's that the 1st gens use though aren't they? Just seems odd that no one has this issue with them, just the 2nd gens.
I'm not taking the time to look it up, but I'm pretty certain this is not the xB1 transmission. It is shared with some earlier 2.4L Camry's though.