Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

P0012 Code, VVT Solenoid is wobbling when engine runs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 02:50 AM

Default P0012 Code, VVT Solenoid is wobbling when engine runs

I checked the web and this site for this question but I found nothing related to my question. Got that beloved P0012 code only to also get the Purge Valve PO441 and associated codes. First I pulled the VVT out to check it and the resistance was within range. The valve was opening when it was engaged by the ECM. I found a cracked vacuum hose and thought sure that was the problem. Nope. Found out the purge valve wasn't working, though the solenoid was good and it was getting voltage. Had a bad connector and voila the purge valve started working when I got a good connection (Got vacuum when the ECM sent a signal). To be certain I didn't have a bad gas cap, I checked the cap, it looked good, and I added some Vaseline to help seal it. I drove it about 40 miles and was ecstatic that the beloved code was gone. Naturally about 5 miles from the inspection station the code came back. Now I only have the P0012 code.

One thing I noticed was that the VVT solenoid is rocking and wobbling when the engine is running. Is it normal for the VVT solenoid to wobble when the engine is running ? It seems to me that if the VVT is wobbling, the plunger is not going to be able to adjust the timing to the amount expected by the ECM.

Oil was recently changed, but I can clean the screen if needed. I appreciate the help.