Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Reducing MT shift throw (shortened shift lever)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Reducing MT shift throw (shortened shift lever)

I was always fine with the shifter in my 2008 xB2 (after changing the **** )! However, I recently made a change that's resulting in it feel distinctly less fine ! I adjusted my clutch pedal height to factory spec (yeah, I know, my mistake).

The result is the clutch feel is very much improved, but the shift action now feels overlong and just as "delivery van" like as my clutch used to feel ! I've taken a glance at various TRD quick-shift and NST bushing threads in the past, and have just now specifically reviewed them. My interest would be in reducing the throw (for a quicker shift), but not adding notchiness (which isn't currently a problem).

I saw NST intended to introduce a short-shifter, but it never happened (concern over insufficient interest). I also saw at least one person actually cut 1" off the shift lever to reduce the throw. Thinking of the TRD, I would certainly expect an increase of some 30% shift resistance given a reduction of some 30% throw, so my concern is not that -- rather, it's an increase in either notchiness or a particular reluctance to enter a gear (2nd?) as a result of making the mod (whatever it turns out to be).

With my early Eclipse, replacing the factory shift **** with a shorter aftermarket **** worked wonders. What works wonders for the xB2?

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-30-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Update title
Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, looks like I'm not exactly getting a rousing response to this question. I'm thinking my best bet is to get my hands on a shift lever and shorten it so the resistance will increase, but the shift action should otherwise remain the same. If that works out, maybe I'll try those Delrin cable bushings I see for sale.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the TRD SSK notchiness is definitely increased... I liked the short throw but now with it removed I hardly notice it being gone and now I dont miss 2nd gear nor does it pop out of first anymore and omg the lever feels like butter! A new **** and new bushings do just fine for me I have the Delrins.

EDIT: Oh and one thing I thought about doing was finding a way to cut off some of the shift linkage counter weight to reduce resistance of the throw. This was a mod mazda speed 3 owners did but luckily theirs just unbolted and there is actually a lighter weight cobb replacement as well. For us though we have to saw a piece off lol. Take a look under the hood for yourself and you can actually grab the weight and make the linkage move. Its a tight spot though.

PM me with what you did to adjust your clutch pedal please.

Last edited by XD40tC; 05-28-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
PM me with what you did to adjust your clutch pedal please.
Trevor's DIY:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186534
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
With the TRD SSK notchiness is definitely increased... I liked the short throw but now with it removed I hardly notice it being gone and now I dont miss 2nd gear nor does it pop out of first anymore and omg the lever feels like butter! A new **** and new bushings do just fine for me I have the Delrins.

EDIT: Oh and one thing I thought about doing was finding a way to cut off some of the shift linkage counter weight to reduce resistance of the throw. This was a mod mazda speed 3 owners did but luckily theirs just unbolted and there is actually a lighter weight cobb replacement as well. For us though we have to saw a piece off lol. Take a look under the hood for yourself and you can actually grab the weight and make the linkage move. Its a tight spot though.
Thanks for the info Chris! You mention you installed the Delrin bushings. The only ones I spotted were the cable bushings, so I'm guessing those are what you changed (not the shifter cage bushings as well). I hope the pedal adjustment goes smoothly -- just take your time .
Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the cable bushings. I dont see anyone making any cage bushings currently but to me the cage feels pretty solid. Time is all I have so I will definitely be doing this tomorrow! Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With my TRD leather **** screwed down as far as it can go (white disc popped out of its groove and pressing against the square black shift lever base -- a 1/4" difference), I've found I can get a little further lower by extending the shift lever thread.

Name:  xBshiftLever_1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  17.5 KB

With the white disc removed and the thread extended further more drop would be available, but the shoulder is in the way. Not sure how to get there, but hopefully there's a reasonable solution.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I stopped by my favorite machine shop to get their opinion on cutting down the shoulder and got the expected response. If the shift shaft was removable from the plastic arm, they could turn it down on a lathe, but they don't have anything that can cut around a stationary shaft. Since the plastic is molded around the shaft, looks like hand grinding/filing/sanding/etc is my only solution. Got to have a pretty accurate result though, or I won't be able to cut a good thread.

PS. If anyone knows of a tool that would help on a task like this, please mention it.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-26-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 06-12-2010, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i know

Get a grinder and cut that _____ off and put a after market shift **** in haha. Or you could try using a tap?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just went by Harbor Freight to see if they have any possibly helpful tools, but didn't see anything. Thanks for the input, but I really prefer not to modify the **** since they tend to get replaced and I prefer custom work to be once only.

I thought another possibility would be to put bolts through the plastic arm and shift rod and Dremel cut the mold seam to free the shaft for turning. However, I can only cut one of the two seams, plus the pivot ball is also molded to that shaft. Think I'm stuck. Should be an interesting project, but if worst-comes-to-worst, I can certainly live with what I have right now. Still, it would be nice to drop the **** lower .

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-26-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, so I managed to get it done. A combination of bench grinding and filing. This thing is hardened steel which makes for very slow going.
Name:  xBshiftLever_3.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  12.8 KB

After still more filing, I was able to cut the thread (also slow going).

Now I've to decide how much thread to cut off the end of the shaft -- definitely the entire original thread, but maybe the gap portion as well.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-26-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: more accurate depiction
Old 06-13-2010, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great effort on your part Trevor, I hope it gives you everything you are hoping for.

I'll be interested to hear how the shifting is affected by your shortened lever, since you have now reduced the amount of mechanical leverage you have over the shifter. This is why SSK's are designed to reduce the distance of the throw, without reducing the length of the lever itself.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, all done! I kept only the new thread and so here's the before and after, an aprox 7/8" reduction from the original aprox 7" from ball center to top ! Only took approaching four hours total !

Name:  xBshiftLever_5.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  16.6 KB

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-01-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: corrected measurement
Old 06-13-2010, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Great effort on your part Trevor, I hope it gives you everything you are hoping for.

I'll be interested to hear how the shifting is affected by your shortened lever, since you have now reduced the amount of mechanical leverage you have over the shifter. This is why SSK's are designed to reduce the distance of the throw, without reducing the length of the lever itself.
Well, I was already driving for several days with a 7/16" lower ****, and the change in effort was a non-event, so I really doubt the further drop will be an issue. In fact, I'm quite certain it won't [EDIT -- but thanks to an old elbow injury -- it was. However, I eventually identified a solution].

I find the mechanical action of the OE shift to work perfectly for me, and so my purpose is to preserve what already works fine, yet still benefit from a reduced throw. I am considering installing a couple Delrin cable bushings -- though out of curiosity, not a sense of need. If they result in improvement, that's great !

PS. I've deliberately chosen not to get involved with an SSK since I find the TRD track record very dubious, it often being removed due to notchiness and gear access issues.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-30-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you have no SSK or after-market bushings? Those are normally the first 2 things people do to shorten the throw and smooth it out. Glad I don't have any of that to deal with since I'm a lazy AT driver. lol
Old 06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
So you have no SSK or after-market bushings? Those are normally the first 2 things people do to shorten the throw and smooth it out. Glad I don't have any of that to deal with since I'm a lazy AT driver. lol
Yes, it appears people wanting to reduce the throw generally buy the only item on the market that's specifically intended to do that, the TRD Quick Shifter. And when they do, they then usually install aftermarket bushings to try to smooth out the resulting shift behavior. Notice the order of the changes? It's not generally one or the other, it's the SSK leading to the bushings as a hoped for solution. Then, if the owner removes the SSK, the bushings tend to stay.

From my reading, the typical drawbacks to the TRD Quick Shifter would be unacceptable for me, reduced throw is desirable, but smooth shift behavior is paramount. Also from what I've read, tC people have very good results with lowered shift ***** (as I did with my Eclipse with a shorter shift ****). That made my choice very simple -- shorten the shift rod (if practical) or settle for my already achieved 7/16" ****-height reduction (which works just fine, no negatives).

Regarding the bushings, supposedly they reduce "slop". My OE shift mechanism doesn't feel sloppy to me and goes into gear very smoothly. So for me, bushing replacement would be only an experiment. Any noticable negative attributes and the OE bushings would go right back in.

Regarding shift effort with lowered **** Vs SSK. The primary effort associated with changing gears is the force required by the transmission, the linkage itself requiring relatively little. Either lowering the **** or installing an SSK reduces the leverage and hence increases the effort required to make a shift.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-13-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
OK, all done! I kept only the new thread and so here's the before and after, an aprox 7/8" reduction from the original aprox 7" from ball center to top ! Only took approaching four hours total !
I test fit my TRD leather **** and there is good thread engagement, but I'm glad I didn't cut off more thread than I did.

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Well, I was already driving for several days with a 7/16" lower ****, and the change in effort was a non-event, so I really doubt the further loss of 9/16" will result in an issue. In fact, I'm quite certain it won't.
Just got back from my first drive with a full 1" shift **** drop and I'd say the increase in shift resistance is easily noticeable and is more than I expected (has a spring-like feel). Don't know if the spring feel is associated with actual springs located at the transmission end of the cables, or the transmission itself, but it's definitely not from the shifter end [EDIT -- actually, the shift rod left-right centering spring contributes a lot]. I'm not considering the resistance a problem, but I am curious as to the source of that feel.

A significant improvement in shift throw is easily noticeable, and I'd say it feels about right to me. I'd describe the shift feel as very firm and solid, but I don't think I'd want it any firmer (don't know what feel difference would result from cable bushing replacement). I also like the lower **** position which seems more convenient/natural to my hand coming from the steering wheel -- it no longer feels so much as though I'm reaching for the ****.

So, over the next few days of driving, I'll let my impressions settle and probably also order those Delrin cable bushings.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-30-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few years ago I injured my right elbow and today I noticed the increase in shifter resistance was bothering it, so I visited Sears Hardware, picked up a couple 1/8" thick nylon washers (9/16" ID, 1" OD) and a rubber washer (3/8" ID, 1-1/2" OD), took off the ****, dropped the nylon washers over the shift rod, pushed on the rubber washer, lifted the top of the boot over the perimeter of the rubber washer, and re-installed the **** (still good and tight).

Following the drive home, I'm thinking it's now perfect for me -- didn't feel my elbow at all. Lost a little in terms of throw and height, but it's still down 3/4" and the improvement in feel remains dramatic. I'm really pleased with it !

Name:  xBshiftLever_6.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  49.1 KB

Ordered a set of Delrin cable bushings earlier today and I expect to be trying them soon.

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-14-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added final photo
Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
SL Member

Looks good, mind if I ship mine to you next

Quick Reply: Reducing MT shift throw (shortened shift lever)