Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Reducing MT shift throw (shortened shift lever)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shoot, my bushings were sorted at San Bernardino CA today (ordered noon EDT Monday). I'll probably not see them before Monday earliest! But at least my clutch pedal's adjusted and rear brake flasher's installed -- feels good overall !

In fact, my current shifter height is feeling a little tame, so I'm wondering if I should try lowering it just a smidgen more? This stuff's kind of fun !
Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Received and installed the Delrin cable bushings today. Here's a DIY and my initial impressions.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188891
Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
A few years ago I injured my right elbow and today I noticed the increase in shifter resistance was bothering it, so I visited Sears Hardware, picked up a couple 1/8" thick nylon washers (9/16" ID, 1" OD) and a rubber washer (3/8" ID, 1-1/2" OD), took off the ****, dropped the nylon washers over the shift rod, pushed on the rubber washer, lifted the top of the boot over the perimeter of the rubber washer, and re-installed the **** (still good and tight).
Came to the conclusion today most of the resistance that was bothering my old elbow injury was associated with left-right shift lever movement, not fore-aft. So I investigated and discovered the left-right centering spring at the shift lever assembly is not only stronger than I realized, but it isn't actually needed, the transmission fairly robustly centers the shift lever all by itself. So, I removed the spring and found I could remove one of those two 1/8" spacers without bothering my elbow. Cool, that drops my shift **** further !

The Lithium greased Delrin bushing on the forward shift cable (fore-aft shift **** motion) is feeling pretty reasonable, so I'm hopeful this combination of mods is going to work out well.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been five days now I've had my manual transmission gear shift mods in place and the feel is hugely superior to what I previously enjoyed since vehicle purchase early 2008. Reduced clutch pedal height unquestionably contributes to this.

Thinking of the difference between the TRD Quick Shifter and a shortened shift lever.

The TRD Quick Shifter reduces the "linear" shift throw (fore-aft), but doesn't reduce the "angular" throw (left-right). Shortening the shift lever reduces both, though not as much linear reduction as the TRD. Although the angular throw reduction is at the cost of increased resistance (as it is for the linear for both shortened shift lever and TRD Quick Shifter), removal of the shift lever angular centering spring tames that (the transmission itself needs no assistance centering the shift lever).

In addition to reducing both angular and linear shift throw, reducing the shift lever height also lowers the shift ****. From both ergonomic and appearance considerations, I find this a worthwhile step (the **** feels much more comfortable to hand than previously and the appearance is easily more sporting).

Regarding the notchiness often attributed to the TRD Quick Shifter, I really don't know what causes that (too short a shift throw at the transmission for the OE design parameters?). However, I'm certain I'm not experiencing anything even vaguely like that with the shortened shift lever. It's doing an excellent job of preserving the OE behavior.

Also, if you particularly want greater mechanical gear entry feel, you can add a nonyielding bushing to the linear front cable at the transmission (IMO changing the rear cable bushing only contributes stiffness, not feel). I'm running a Lithium greased Delrin bushing on the front shift cable and it works very well and doesn't introduce any notchiness. The OE bushing is just fine on the rear cable.

As far as shift speed is concerned, I doubt there's much practical difference. The TRD has the linear throw advantage, whereas the shortened shift lever has the angular throw advantage (and perhaps ergonomics affect this as well); however, the primary slow down is provided by the synchronizers -- they function at the same speed regardless of what you do with the linkage.

I recognize only some will be interested in this mod, and of those, many may not have the tools, patience, time, or skills to do it themselves. So, if this is something you'd like to do, please contact me and we can probably work something out.

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-02-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The greased front Delrin bushing (fore-aft shift **** movement) is feeling pretty comfortable and so I yanked the remaining 1/8" spacer below the **** and it's feeling fine so far.

Name:  xBshiftLever_7.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  44.0 KB

Since my shift **** is kind of long (not a complaint, I like it), I'm thinking people with shorter ***** would be able to position them lower if desired. And the lower the ****, the shorter the throw. Speaking for myself, the throw is feeling comfortably short right now, so I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over it !

Last edited by TrevorS; 06-30-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As mentioned before, if anyone's interested in checking this out (as in for serious, not just for fun), please contact me and let's talk.

The thing to be aware of is that this a different approach for reducing shift throw. Unlike the transmission mounted STS options, it also reduces angular throw (feels reasonably near balanced to me between linear and angular stiffness) and also reduces shift **** height (resulting in the **** feeling much more convenient to hand). If you combine this with removing any excess height in your clutch pedal (which makes a huge difference IMO), it feels very much like a sports car in operation -- a feeling of balance and quickness.

However, if what you specifically care about is the shortest possible linear throw (1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th) -- ignoring angular throw (2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th) and also ignoring convenience/comfort to hand (ergonomics), then either TRD (about 30% linear shift throw reduction) or Axxtion (about 50% linear throw reduction) may be the best fit for you. Just be aware that although those linear throws are easily shorter, they are also easily stiffer (and not just "slightly"), naturally, that much more so for the Axxtion. Also, no shift linkage mod results in a faster transmission synchronizer, it only varies how quickly you get to the synchronizer.

Still, if you have any interest in checking this out, let's talk about it.

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-07-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided that with the shorter shift lever, it was time to change the boot appearance to something that better suits it. Here's my new boot .

Name:  xBboot_13.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  37.2 KB

Last edited by TrevorS; 07-08-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

I got one! LOVE IT!! here's the link for my DIY on it.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...+short+shifter

CHECK IT OUT!!!!

Name:  100_8294-1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  87.3 KB

Last edited by A-snell; 11-18-2010 at 07:36 PM.