Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

RPM Sputtering Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Question RPM Sputtering Help!

I have a 2011 XB automatic transmission. When driving high-speed at average 65mph, RPM at around 2500 the RPM will jump up and down to 2000 then back to 2500 for a few seconds. This usually happens when my foot is barely on the gas petal.

This will also happen at around 35mph, RPM at around 2500.

Took to the dealer twice and they cannot find the problem. Again it does not always happen and it is very annoying as you may be cruising on the freeway at 65mph and your RPM starts jumping up and down for a few seconds.

What can cause this and how can I get the dealer to fix it. I am only within 25k miles.

Anyone having this issue?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and make it relearn and see if that fixes the issue. Next I would pull the intake and see if its dirty including the maf, throttle body.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ECU's don't relearn anything. If it "lost its mind" when you reset it, then it wouldn't remember, let's say, the firing order. If it had to "relearn" that, then you're F&cked. I don't know why folks think that.

Check you plug wires, then clean them with connector cleaner and use some dielectric grease on 'em.

Ronnie
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheMotrCty
ECU's don't relearn anything. If it "lost its mind" when you reset it, then it wouldn't remember, let's say, the firing order. If it had to "relearn" that, then you're F&cked. I don't know why folks think that.

Check you plug wires, then clean them with connector cleaner and use some dielectric grease on 'em.

Ronnie
I'm not talking about the base map that is stored in the ECU. Re-learn was a bad word choice. Re-calibrating is what I meant.

When the ECU is reset, it re-calibrates the ignition & fuel, timing etc based on the variables such as the octane, air temp and other factors (hence why I said re-learn)

This enables the ECU to calibrate the car to run more efficiently and perform based on the re-calibration.