Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Stock Vs C.A.I. for daily driver

Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 AM

Default Stock Vs C.A.I. for daily driver

Has anyone compared the gains of a C.A.I. to a modified stock intake with a k&n drop-in, carcoal filter removal(white mesh filter inside the top of the stock air box) and removal of the scilencer(the plactic wraped flexable tube on the end of the stock intake snorkle). Just wondering how much differance there is. A C.A.I is rated 10hp gain VS the STOCK SET-UP; NOT A MODIFIED ONE. the drop-in and carcoal filter removal should free up flow and add afew hp and removing the looped scilencer gains alittle sound and also frees up air flow too. any ideas? This is a daily driver and family hauler will i notice the diference between the two?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:27 AM

I ask this because, havent decided yet but i may be putting my stock intake back on this weekend. I installed an injen CAI a few weeks back and i am getting better gas mileage and it does sound mean and i do pull harder at 4000rpm's and above, but i feel that i have lost to much low-mid torque/power (everyday driveability)
Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well that's the exact set up I am running (Modded/Optimized OEM) and really have no complaints on it. Have debated getting a short ram intake, or cold air and changing the length of the pipe to move the filter location my self. If I get around to doing that, I'll be able to give you a good butt dyno result.

Honestly, I doubt there will be any change other than sound. Throttle response may improve, but probably not enough to notice. The Optimized OEM I've ran twice now. My first gen tc had this set up, as well as my xb2 now on this set up. Both cars however, have had the bumper vents opened up to get a little more air in. Maybe something you want to consider.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW -- as far as I can tell, removal of the stock carbon filter (located in the air filter housing) has somewhere on the order of zero breathing benefit. It's value is in reducing volatile carbon escape into the atmosphere -- i.e. emissions control. I removed mine, but can't vouch for any gain from it. Perhaps a mistake!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True a CAI won't change your kitten into a tiger. With my previous car a Nissan Versa 1.8 auto. The combination of DC Sport CAI and Stillen axle-back (muffler) allowed the engine to breathe easer. At 3500 rpm the VVT would kick in. That's when I could feel the difference compared to stock. From 45 to 90 MPH it was lots of fun. Not fast, but fun. The downside, 29-32 MPG instead of 34-36 stock.
My tC will remain stock, it has enough power, and decent mileage.