Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XBScion: If your question is directed to me I drive an 09 Tc and have about 53k miles on it.

Trevor: Thank you so much for that info that is exactly what I needed. I'm definitely going to be bringing this up to the tech at the dealer.

Also, should they have charged to do the oil consumption test?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vulkinator
Trevor: Thank you so much for that info that is exactly what I needed. I'm definitely going to be bringing this up to the tech at the dealer.

Also, should they have charged to do the oil consumption test?
Hopefully, that info indeed helps, good luck ! Regarding the charge, I suspect it's fair unless your car fails the test. If yours fails, I suggest challenging the charge.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I did pass the oil consumption test with a little help , and got the engine rebuilt. For anyone attempting this if you don't have proof of your oil changes they will not want to do the work for you. I had to authorize an engine tear down that could have cost me $1000 but luckily they found no sludge in my engine and covered it under warranty.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am following this. Just got a 2008 5.0 RS Goldie and DEFINITELY do not want to get hosed on this issue. I just read this and my VIN# is low enough to make me watch my oil consumption.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you take proper care of your engine. This issue only seems to affect a miniscule percentage of 2AZFE engines. FWIW I just checked my oil tonight and after 5000 miles it is still at the full mark. My early 2008 engine has been turbocharged for almost 30k miles and has 54k total miles. The most it's ever used was 1/2 qt in 5k miles.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So wait, if you can't prove you changed oil, it won't be covered? I did all the oil change myself...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schmohey
So wait, if you can't prove you changed oil, it won't be covered? I did all the oil change myself...
Same here I did all the changes myself, and when they asked for proof I just filled in the maintenance book that came with the car. They said that wasn't good enough and said they could do an engine tear down to see if there was any sludge in the engine. Luckily there was none because I did my oil changes on time. If they would have found sludge though, it would have cost me $1000 for the tear down. Before all this though you will have to pass an oil consumption test which is ridiculous because idk who will burn 1qt of oil in 1k miles. I helped it lose some oil by using a tube and sucking it out of the dip stick. Be careful to clean up afterwards because they put a blacklight dye in the oil, so if you have a black light just use that to see if you left any oil on the car. Also, you can't drain any oil out of the drain plug or filter because they put a mark on them. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The word fraud comes to mind... lucky for you your dealer has idiots working in the service dept. They should have sealed the drain plug, dipstick and oil cap with tamper-proof tape.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I actually do have oil blow-by on my 2008 tC on the 2nd cylinder from the left. I found out about this TSB a little late ~64k miles but I am going to check with Toyota/Scion pretty soon as I do have the extended 7/70 powertrain warranty to see if they will cover it despite the 5/60 stated in the TSB.

I consume about 1/2 qt every 400-500mi.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xFly1np4nda
I actually do have oil blow-by on my 2008 tC on the 2nd cylinder from the left. I found out about this TSB a little late ~64k miles but I am going to check with Toyota/Scion pretty soon as I do have the extended 7/70 powertrain warranty to see if they will cover it despite the 5/60 stated in the TSB.

I consume about 1/2 qt every 400-500mi.
Sounds like it's worth investigation! Guess it's not clear every earlier engine has this issue, but it appears some do ! I continue to observe the behavior of my xB2 engine. Hopefully, it'll work out OK !
Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 PM
SL Member

For those who qualified for this----Are you under the 60,000 mile warranty?

Went to my local dealership today and ran around in circles with them about this issue, and they were persistant in saying there are no recalls for the vehicle, and even if there were, since its over 60,000 I wouldn't qualify for it.

Ill be calling Toyota HQ on this matter as well...I have never seen such horrible CS from a dealership.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I qualified I was under the 60k warranty.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JBell91

Went to my local dealership today and ran around in circles with them about this issue, and they were persistant in saying there are no recalls for the vehicle, and even if there were, since its over 60,000 I wouldn't qualify for it.

Ill be calling Toyota HQ on this matter as well...I have never seen such horrible CS from a dealership.
Indeed, there's no recall for this issue (TSB does not equal recall), however, if you have this specific problem (as described in the TSB) and your car fails the consumption test, then if you're within the window, they're obliged to perform the work. If you don't meet the requirements spelled out in the TSB, then don't expect them to lift a finger.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JBell91

Is your engine burning more than 1 qt every 1200 miles and still under warranty? If not, you've got nothing to complain about. So far all I've heard regarding this TSB is a lot of _____ing and moaning from people who don't qualify for a free engine rebuild and one guy who committed fraud to get his. I've yet to hear of anyone who actually qualified for this TSB.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Is your engine burning more than 1 qt every 1200 miles and still under warranty? If not, you've got nothing to complain about. So far all I've heard regarding this TSB is a lot of _____ing and moaning from people who don't qualify for a free engine rebuild and one guy who committed fraud to get his. I've yet to hear of anyone who actually qualified for this TSB.
I have a 2008 xB, burning 1qt every 1000 miles @~70K miles. Brought to my local dealer in December 2011, cited TSB, and they put me in contact with Toyota/Scion customer service. I was cordial with them on phone. They ended up reimbursing a large portion of the work. They did not even require performance of the consumption test. It may have helped that I own several Toyota products - don't know. Overall, a pleasant experience for a stressful issue.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jacomo
I have a 2008 xB, burning 1qt every 1000 miles @~70K miles. Brought to my local dealer in December 2011, cited TSB, and they put me in contact with Toyota/Scion customer service. I was cordial with them on phone. They ended up reimbursing a large portion of the work. They did not even require performance of the consumption test. It may have helped that I own several Toyota products - don't know. Overall, a pleasant experience for a stressful issue.
If you got financial assistance from Scion for 1qt per thousand miles, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Personally, I'd consider 1qt per thousand to be excessive and so it sounds like you took the right approach and it worked out ! I suspect a sizable factor in this is the manner in which yiou approached the dealer, and if need be, Scion USA.

In any case, congrats on your result !
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad to hear that Toyota went above and beyond to help you out like that. That's what I call great customer service. Just out of curiosity, do you know of any factors that may have contributed to your excessive oil consumption? Did you ever run low on oil or miss an oil change or two? Did you change oil yourself or use a shop? If a shop, was it the dealer or some place like a Jiffy Lube? When you bought it new, did it have a few hundred test drive miles? Did it use oil from new, develop the use gradually or did it start suddenly?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd love to know why a few engines burn so much oil while the majority burn almost none. I'm looking for possible causes but it could be something as simple as a QC issue in the manufacture of certain parts or their assembly. Only Toyota knows for sure.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member

Significant oil loss occurred pretty suddenly over a 10k period. Never ran below fill line between oil changes until 60-70K. Surprisingly was down 2 qts ~3000 miles into an oil change. Watched things closely after that and eventually started seeing ~1qt every 1000 miles. TSB indicates defective rings.

Religiously changed oil and filter every 5k. Never used synthetic or blend. Almost all my oil changes at dealership. Bought new and my recollection was it had less than 100 miles.

Since rebuild, things back to normal
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Significant oil loss occurred pretty suddenly over a 10k period. Never ran below fill line between oil changes until 60-70K. Surprisingly was down 2 qts ~3000 miles into an oil change. Watched things closely after that and eventually started seeing ~1qt every 1000 miles. TSB indicates defective rings.

Religiously changed oil and filter every 5k. Never used synthetic or blend. Almost all my oil changes at dealership. Bought new and my recollection was it had less than 100 miles.

Since rebuild, things back to normal
Thanks for the follow up, something to look forward to? Here's hoping!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am at 70K on my 2008 xB and my oil consumption is minimal. I would say 1/2qt every 6-7K miles. I generally do two oil changes a year, at whatever mileage (generally 6-8K) using synthetic oils every since I got the car new.

I hope I don't develop this issue!

Quick Reply: Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!