Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BrokeLoser, I agree with all that you said!!!! My 2008 xB started burning more and more oil and by 63k it was over 2 qts per 5k miles. I changed the PCV, it did nothing but lighten my wallet. I was using Mobile 1, 5/20 , changed to Castrol GTX 5/30 oil and "only" used 3/4 of a qt of oil in 5k.

Never had a vehicle burn/eat up oil like this Scion!!!!

I'm saving a lot of money not having to buy oil by the 55 gallon drum now!!!! lol

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbscion
...changed to Castrol GTX 5/30 oil and "only" used 3/4 of a qt of oil in 5k.

Never had a vehicle burn/eat up oil like this Scion!!!!

I'm saving a lot of money not having to buy oil by the 55 gallon drum now!!!! lol
Wow! you used an entire 3/4 of a quart in "only" 5000 miles... no wonder you whine about it endlessly.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

62k miles and its never burned oil. Not sure how you guys drove your vehicle, but I broke mine in hard. I'm a firm believer in doing so.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

AAG, consider yourself lucky!!! This is the first car ever that burned more than a 1/2 qt. between oil changes. Broke all of them in the same way!!! Wish I would have known to beat on this xB, wasn't in the owners manual. lol
Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 AM

See, this is what I'm talking about . . . I just got denied a claim by Toyota Platinum Coverage for my 2005 tC. It started making engine sounds and I took it into the shop. They told me I must have run the car low on oil because the engine was damaged, and despite my providing proof that I did indeed maintain the car, the claim was denied.
I am not a happy customer! I spent the money on the extra coverage and still got screwed. I am seriously thinking of simply selling the damn car once it's all fixed. I feel violated . . .
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Just because you got your oil changed every 3-5k doesn't mean the oil level didn't drop dangerously low. If your claim was that your car is going through 2qts of oil between changes, I think they would've been more inclined to fix it.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure that even Toyota Platinum Coverage doesn't include engine damage caused by the owner running the engine too low on oil. Fortunately, even in our shamefully litigious and mollycoddled society, a small sliver of personal responsibility occasionally remains.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exteneded warranty will NOT cover this issue and advisor at dealership should have said this from the start.
im sure this has been said before BUT
The only way this gets fixed is IF YOUR VIN IS BEFORE JTKDE167#90286965 and your in the 5yr/60k mark OR if a SCION rep ok's it.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't expect any manufacture to fix something that was caused by abuse or neglect. However, to admit to producing/installing defective parts and saying they have your back, well, for 5 yr/60k and then you are on your own if this shows up is unacceptable.

Again, if you aren't burning oil, great!!! Why hassle those that have this problem? We only want our xb's fixed so we can enjoy what we should have had in the first place.

I was following Toyota's recommended oil of 5/20 and was using 2 plus qts per 5k. Having switched to 5/30 oil, my engine uses 3/4 qt. per 5k. How did I do something wrong when I just followed what the manufacture recommends?

Today's engines shouldn't burn oil in those amounts at just over 60k, maybe at 260k.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a difference between being a jerk/hassling and being realistic. In this situation, Toyota has the advantage being that it's not an external part with a serial number that can be checked. To see if the piston rings are bad, you'd have to tear the engine down which they're not gonna front the bill for. For example, if they were to do so only to find out the rings are fine and it's owner error, then what?

This kind of problem doesn't happen overnight. If you were checking your oil regularly and you noticed it was down a significant amount in relation to the mileage since the last change, from their perspective it should have been brought up then. Not after the engine has already started knocking. As you stated, with engines these days, using that much oil or having to add oil between changes is not normal.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jon. If a car with less than 70k uses 2 plus qts. of oil, you can bet that there is a problem with that engine. If it's not the TSB, it's something else that shouldn't have happened in a properly built engine. Now, this is assuming that the oil changes were done on time and oil level never got below the add mark. I never let the oil get lower than 1/2 qt.

The owners manual pg. 154 states that 1.1 qts of oil used in 600 miles is within the limits. Even my car never used the required 1 qt. per 1200 miles to qualify for the TSB. An owner that reads the manual can only go by what the Toyota prints in the manual. I still don't understand how 1.1 qts per 600 miles is OK, and the engine that uses 1 qt in 1200 is bad.

My engine never used a qt. of oil between oil changes until after 60k, and that's where the warranty ends. The next 10k miles is when the oil consumption really got heavy.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

F'man, seems like Toyota really cropped a fat one on this ! If we can't trust the engines the manufacturer produces, what are we supposed to trust? F' Toyota, either we can believe in the engine technology or we can't, if not, then it's us for ourselves ! It's the responsibility of a manufacturer to support it's base, if that doesn't happen, then to hell with the manufacturer. Speaking for myself, I'm so far OK, hopefully it stays that way.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Oil consumption is not Toyota specific. Go talk to Honda owners who've dealt with this issue for many years, yet people praise HMC like they do no wrong. Ford and GM also have this issue with their 5.0 coyote and LS1/2/3/7 engines.

Try another oil and move up in weight to help lessen the consumption.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 AM

As far as maintenance on my car, I had religiously checked my oil every 1k to 1.5k miles. I hate to say it, but I never actually saw any issues that I found alarming as far as overtly excessive consumption. I also never saw smoking from my engine, light or heavy. For those of you that have the opinion that it may have been owner oversight, on just plain ol' negligence, you are mistaken.
I used this car as a daily commuter for 5 years before I bought a second car because the snows up here in NY were bad, and you all know that running 18" wheels on a snowy roads is Darwinian. The car was garage-kept most of the winter, and periodically run every week to make sure nothing gunked up the works.
The thing that really gets my goat is the fact Toyota knew this was an issue, and chose to send out a bulletin to cover it. Now I don't know about you guys, but looking at bulletins is not something I do on a regular basis . . . Call me careless/ignorant, whatever. My point is that I feel Toyota could have done a better job at communicating this issue, so poor slobs like myself don't end up needing new engines.
I have owned other Toyotas ( a Tercel from the mid 90's that I put 175K miles on) and a Honda Civic (95 Civic which I sold with 250K miles on it and is STILL running in Connecticut!). I don't like to say this, but this may just be the last straw . . . I have been thinking I'd go back to buying American/Canadian made cars . . . I have acted on this "feeling" . . . I bought a Ford Flex and I am ecstatic with it!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just FYI, my 08 XB just hit 60k miles and is due for another 5k oil change. The engine used no oil in the last 5k miles, none. The level is still right on the full line. In the past I have occasionally used up to 1/2 qt between changes when running M1 5w20 or 5w30 but with Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra 5w30 it uses none. This engine is turbo-charged and has been for roughly 40k miles. It sees boost and daily and redline almost every day. It's made twenty or so 1/4 mile passes at the local drag strip and has always been driven hard.

If there really was a design, component or assembly problem with the 2AZFE, as some are suggesting, why would it only affect such a small percentage of engines? TSB's are issued as information for dealer service departments and in no way indicate that every vehicle in the production run is similarly affected. I'd really like to know just what percentage of 2AZFE engines consumes more than 1 qt of oil every 5k miles within the first 100k miles when properly maintained. My guess is less than 1%.

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-27-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
F'man, seems like Toyota really cropped a fat one on this ! If we can't trust the engines the manufacturer produces, what are we supposed to trust? F' Toyota, either we can believe in the engine technology or we can't, if not, then it's us for ourselves ! It's the responsibility of a manufacturer to support it's base, if that doesn't happen, then to hell with the manufacturer. Speaking for myself, I'm so far OK, hopefully it stays that way.
My viewpoint is that if the manufacturer has even a low likelihood of a problem, that should be sufficient for them to provide their customer with appropriate support. In this scenario, the problem will be unusual and so the cost of repair will be equally unusual, not a major budget issue. If a car company has a problem with supporting it's customers, then is it so unreasonable the customers have an issue with supporting the car company? This is what drives the flight of customers to companies that best support their purchases.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbscion
Jon. If a car with less than 70k uses 2 plus qts. of oil, you can bet that there is a problem with that engine. If it's not the TSB, it's something else that shouldn't have happened in a properly built engine. Now, this is assuming that the oil changes were done on time and oil level never got below the add mark. I never let the oil get lower than 1/2 qt.
You're absolutely right. These cars should not be high maintenance where you have to constantly watch the oil level. Why the heck would a car following recommended oil change intervals burn so much oil to the point where it's dangerous? Fred is just in denial, not sure what his agenda is, but this problem is real.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Malibu_Rapper
You're absolutely right. These cars should not be high maintenance where you have to constantly watch the oil level. Why the heck would a car following recommended oil change intervals burn so much oil to the point where it's dangerous? Fred is just in denial, not sure what his agenda is, but this problem is real.
Dude, if you're one of the infinitesimally few who actually have a 2AZFE that consumes excessive oil through no fault of yours, that truly does suck for you. You have my sympathy. However you are very clearly confusing your own quite rare problem with a systemic one based solely upon a TSB written only to offer dealers some guidance on how to handle the sort of occurance that can happen when you produce and sell many millions of engines over the course of 13 years.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is issued when a auto maker finds a problem with their product to help the dealer service dept. figure out what's wrong.

The bottom line is that there IS a problem and Toyota admitted it!!!! Just won't fix it out of warranty! If you aren't buring oil then you don't have this TSB problem! End of story.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Malibu_Rapper
Checking your oil is high maintenance?

Technically, you're suppose to check your oil level every gas fill up. Is it really that hard to pop your hood, pull the dip stick, wipe, insert dipstick, pull the dip stick and read the oil level every so often?

If you're burning oil, try another weight & brand to see if it helps slow down consumption.

Quick Reply: Toyota 2AZ-FE oil consumption TSB!