Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What is a good cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
Well then I guess the best intake comes down to which is the shiniest and whichever has more stickers for your car.

Looks like TRD for the win!
My total point is just that all CAI that don't have bypass valves carry a hydrolock risk. So, if you don't have a valve, don't immerse the intake (be it a vent or a cone -- intake is where the air enters.) There may be any number of reasons to select one CAI over another (appearance, fit, cost, dynanometer numbers, brand, reputation), but unless it explicitly includes a bypass valve, don't include hydrolock susceptability among them.

As I said earlier, my CAI is home brew, and just to be safe, I installed a valve. I'll probably never need it, it's just insurance .
Old 05-06-2010, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Trevor, did you ever post any pics of your homebrew CAI? I'd like to see it.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Hey Trevor, did you ever post any pics of your homebrew CAI? I'd like to see it.
Hoo-boy, you guys are gonna laugh !

There really isn't much of anything to see. I stayed with the OE airbox (convenient filter access) and 3" flexible pipe to the TB (good enough for my purposes and preserves the MAF fitting). I removed the carbon filter and intake snorkle, and installed a TRD filter and a 3" flexible duct from inside the air box to the lower front of the left fender. I wrapped the duct with insulation to help keep it cool and damp vibrations, added a modest flare to the inlet to try to reduce turbulence, a TRD vent to feed it, and a simple gravity flap to the underside of the airbox to provide bypass protection. Nothing much to it, but from experience, it's a huge improvement over stock !

Name:  xBHomeBrewCAI_1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  68.9 KB
Name:  xBHomeBrewCAI_2.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  36.1 KB
The seeming raw edges inside the intake flare are actually smooth, it just doesn't look it.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it. Function over form. I did the same thing to my 99 Dakota (minus the insulation) and it worked great. Instead of a "gravity flap" I simply drilled some extra drain holes in the bottom of the airbox. I wasn't worried about any hydro-lock potential because my intake was much higher (headlight height).
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks ! Yes, it's a simple approach but it works!

I actually added the pipe insulation (2" roll of foil backed cellular rubber from Home Depot) and flare (trimmed down thin PVC 3" to 4" adapter from same place) much later. I wanted to make it quieter and the raw duct opening was just a little too quick and dirty -- guaranteed high turbulence -- plus, I was pretty sure the metal duct was vibrating/resonating with the air flow. It's now definitely quieter and has a deeper pitch when it hits.

The gravity flap was also an afterthought, but I decided it was worth doing -- just for peace of mind. I cut a roughly 1/2"x1" opening in the underside of the airbox at the left front and covered it with a 1-3/4"x2" flap of thick felt auto carpet, well glued at one end. I doubt it'll ever lift appreciably as long as that 3" pipe is sucking air, but no way water can climb up there .

Last edited by TrevorS; 05-07-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2010, 12:25 AM

I went with the Injen and put in the TRD lower grill. It sounds good and the fitment was perfect. I also wanted to go with the Injen because it can convert to a short ram for the rainy seasons.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 PM

I put the AEM on my car ... it sounds pretty good. Definetly can tell a difference in the 4K range.

As for hydrolocking ... AEM makes a bypass that installs easy.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So just to make sure I know what's what... Hydrolocking is when the intake becomes submerged in water and instead of sucking in air, it basically vaccuums up water correct?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yepp.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elwaylite
Yepp.
So basically unless you decide to drive your car through a puddle of water like a foot deep, there's not much to worry about?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope. Rainy areas, or flood prone areas are a worry. I initially went with the TRD CAI, because we are the rainiest city in the country, and get a lot of those flash flood afternoon pours. But, generally not a worry, just dont forget its down there and drive thru some deep water.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wanted to throw out there that I got a TRD Cold Air Intake a few weeks ago and I have been surprised how loud it is. Under ful throttle it appears to resonate into the cabin pretty darn dramatically. I actually found it uncomfortable when giving it full throttle.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, its very loud, but cool. Also makes it sound like the engine is working real hard. The Weapon-R Stealth I just put on is not as loud, but it growls more deeply. I actually like it's sound better.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My homemade CAI tended to bellow like a bull when I got on the throttle. Since then, I improved the aerodynamics of its intake and also wrapped the intake pipe with foil covered adhesive rubber insulation (functions as a vibration damper as well as an insulator). Since then, the loud noises are gone, more of a low growl nowadays ! Sounds better this way in my opinion, but if you like loud, it probably wouldn't do.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member

I know it sounds lame but I got my CAI from raceland. It took me 15 minutes to install, sounds awesome, and I noticed a pretty big difference for just an intake. It's all anodized aluminum comes with all the hardware and two pre oiled filters... I think mine was 108 w/free shipping off eBay
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM

Paid $145 shipped for the Tenzo off eBay..... And have no complaints
took 25mins to install and sounds great.

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/fd/Desktop/intake.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails What is a good cold air intake?-intake.jpg