Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks! I could just drill a hole and use mighty putty to attach the silicone drain hose to the oil pan! No worries about fittings or clamps with mighty putty!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbolicious
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol mighty putty.. "It uses f*ckin... Green to white technology!". But yea, the progress on the kit's lookin good!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took the mani to HP Racing in Glen Burnie today to have some bracing added but they talked me out of it. They felt that the mani is more than strong enough to support a T3/T4. They also said that it was much thicker gauge metal than what they've seen with typical ebay kits.

Interestingly there seems to be a lot of confusion about adjustable internal wastegates. The guy at HPR thinks that an 8psi spring means that 8psi is the minimum psi at which the WG will open. That's not entirely true. The wastegate came preset to 8psi with a fair amount of preload on the spring. I can definitely feel quite a difference after lengthening the adjustment rod to reduce the spring preload. On several sites they sell similar WGs advertised as ranging from 4psi to max psi (WG stays closed).

Anyway, my ELM327 OBD2 - USB adapter arrived today and I still have to install XP on my Netbook which came with Linux pre-installed. Linux is a nice OS except that, as usual, it can't run the software I need it to run.

With a little luck, I should be boosted next week.

Edit: Kevin shipped the new DP and some other misc. parts today. ETA - June 1st
Just in time for my days off. I hope it doesn't rain...

Check out CXR's latest drift cars: http://www.cxracing.com/news_detail.aspx?id=27
Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did you get you cable i want one and what software are you going to use let me know i want the cable
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get the original ELM327 scan tool interface here:

http://www.scantool.net/elmscan-5-us...FecN5QodnzU_eQ

You can get an ELM327 clone from Ebay for $25+ or you can get the clone I got for $40 from here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16923

They all come with software and more is available. I'm trying some of the freeware first before I buy any. I'll let you know how this works after I test it tonight.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats neato!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This works great! I tried it with OBD-DIAG and ScanTool. Reads all the sensors, shows timing, fuel trim, air temp, water temp, rpm, mph, airflow, etc. The only thing missing is fuel rail pressure, which might not have a sensor.

The best thing is that it shows when the ECU is in open and closed loop. The ECU is quicker to go into open loop than I expected which is good for my plans. It's easier to tune the open loop since in closed loop the ECU fights to maintain 14.7:1 AFR. In open loop it ignores the O2 sensor so it can run richer AFR.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Kevin at CXR tells me they have a TC turbo kit coming soon and that eventually they plan to incorporate cast manifolds. Anyone interested in a turbo kit should check out the CXR website and email Kevin to show him that there is indeed some interest. He told me that the reason they haven't done more with Scion is a perceived lack of interest.

http://www.cxracing.com/

Their 240SX drift car looks pretty legit to me as does their R&D chief's RX3 that does the 1/4 mile in 8.5 secs @ 160mph.
You should tell Kevin to properly design parts, or at least put more effort into the process. Thin 304SS Manifold? What the hell is that? haha.

Also, as legit as it looks, they probably use well-designed parts but the stuff that they sell is sent to China for copying

Anyways, I haven't posted in this thread in awhile (sort of), but I enjoy watching your progress.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
You should tell Kevin to properly design parts, or at least put more effort into the process. Thin 304SS Manifold? What the hell is that? haha.

Also, as legit as it looks, they probably use well-designed parts but the stuff that they sell is sent to China for copying

Anyways, I haven't posted in this thread in awhile (sort of), but I enjoy watching your progress.
Why don't you tell him? Maybe while you're at it you could tell Turbo Toyotas, Descendant Racing, and many others to quit using "thin" 16ga 304 manifolds. I took this "thin" 304 manifold to a local speed shop to have it braced but they told me it didn't need any bracing. BTW, my $135 CXR header that you criticized so much is still holding up just fine.

This kit cost $1200 dude. $1200... not $4000 like the Ancla/Treadstone kits or $5500 like the Descendant kit. Why would you expect it to be as well designed and using the same quality parts?

There is a cast iron 2AZ mani on ebay for $100 but I'm sure the Chinese haven't yet figured out something as complex as cast iron so you better use the $330 Treadstone mani for your custom kit.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbotoyotas manis are heavy mine weighed 22 pounds its hard core put the kit on already
Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol word slap that bad boy on!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The new DP and oil pan tap is supposed to arrive on Monday and I have off work on Tues and Wed. The only other missing item is the air filter but that should be here by then. I also ordered some blue silicone oil drain and vacuum hoses to match the couplers. CXR included black and pink (wtf?) hoses.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScionFred, for the sake of not arguing anymore, I'm just going to say I wasn't trying to offend you. You're getting pretty defensive for no reason. Good luck in the future with the project.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just think its so funny that everyone disses the Chinese like they cant make something that is decent quaility... Have you all forgotten that they produce like 90% of the stuff in the US... Yes some is crap, but i am sure more stuff is probably way better then you would think...
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
I just think its so funny that everyone disses the Chinese like they cant make something that is decent quaility... Have you all forgotten that they produce like 90% of the stuff in the US... Yes some is crap, but i am sure more stuff is probably way better then you would think...
It's funny to me too. I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant crap quality to most Americans. Then it was Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, etc. All of these countries have come a long way in the past few decades. Now it's China's turn. Some BMW motorcycles are made in China today and many of the parts sold by US based companies are actually made in China. The Treadstone TC manifold is probably made by the same Chinese company that is currently selling them on ebay for 1/3 of Treadstone's price.

As for turbochargers, what I keep hearing from knowledgable people who have actually used Chinese turbos, is that they hold up very well under low boost (<10psi) provided that they are properly clocked and use a properly sized oil restrictor. When the bearings and/or seals do go bad, you can just rebuild the CHRA with better bearings and seals and they last even longer.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hows ur project comin along?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NyoroBox
hows ur project comin along?
Just waiting on parts and some dry weather. Unfortunately I don't have a garage. If I have to, I might load up all my tools and use a friend's garage.

I did hit another small snag last night when testing the V-band clamp. The T-bolt stripped because the threads were fubared. Anyway, better it happened now rather than during the actual install. I ordered a new one from a shop in NY so it should be here in a day or two. I'd like to get this done by Thursday.

I've pretty much decided to add water/meth injection but will wait until after I get the turbo installed. I was going to build my own but found a kit on ebay for little more than the cost of the parts to build it. It uses the same Shurflo pump I would have bought and comes with an adjustable boost relay and a solenoid valve.

Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool man.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Cool man.
15 mins, metal polish and a rag.

The pipes may not be perfect, they had some rough edges, scratches and knicks as delivered but nothing that a few minutes with a dremel, files and/or sandpaper couldn't fix. They do have rolled edges for a good seal and are not thin like cheap ebay pipe kits.

The small diameter pipe in the first photo replaces the upper radiator hose which is in the way of the turbo. The large intake pipe in the second photo is 2.5" ID with a 3"OD end welded on for a 3" ID air filter. 2.5" pipe is perfect for our MAF. Any larger would make the ECU run leaner in open loop.

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!