Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Downpipe for Treadstone cast manifold

Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Downpipe for Treadstone cast manifold

I'm just gauging interest in a downpipe that would mate a T3 housing on the Treadstone/ebay clone cast manifold to the stock s-pipe or W-R s-pipe. I'm having one custom made and it would be fairly easy to duplicate it for others. Mine will be 2.5" 409 with a recirc. 1.5" WG dump tube but it should be possible to use 3" and 1.75" dump tube, recirc. or open dump. The key thing is having the right dimensions and bends in the DP.

There's a shop near me (Mandrel Bending Solutions) that has CAD mandrel benders and stocks aluminized steel, 304 and 409 tubing. If there is enough interest, I can talk to the owner about making some downpipes. Since the Treadstone manifold is a very good design, it would be a great mani to build a custom setup with or modify an existing kit like CXR.

Lemme know. I'm not looking to make money on this so I can't be jumping through hoops to get it done but I'd be willing to spend a few hours to help some peeps out.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm pretty interested. How much is the pricing going to be for one of this downpipe? I'm sure the fitment won't bbe much of a problem will it?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I won't know the cost until I finish mine and take it to MBS to get an estimate. My guesstimate is $200-300 depending on material, size and wastegate option. Fitment should be very good with a Tial external wastegate. I don't think it's possible to run an internal WG with this manifold because of clearance issues.

BTW, everyone I've talked to says that we don't need any flex pipe because the spring-bolt connection to the s-pipe is enough. Good thing too because the DP is so short, it would be difficult to add one.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also think it'll be great if there was a bracket taht can be bolted to the engine like our stock manifolds.

Iron mani + turbo + wastegate = super heavy
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good idea. I'll look into it.

BTW, there is another DP option available from Ancla. I contacted them about making one for me and they agreed to but wouldn't guarantee fitment unless I used their mani. Seems fair but I didn't want to take a chance with them being so far away.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 AM

im having dans toy here in cali fab me a new exhaust manifold using the old cxr flanges just using better gauge tubing and garuntee it for life against faliure or cracking or will replace or repair that way i dont have to modifiy down pipe and i reinforced my exhaust with support brackets to take some weight of down pipe wich obviously adds extra strees on the cxr manifold kevin sold me a new one for 50 dollars beacause i went to complain to his face about poor quality
Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phantomxb
im having dans toy here in cali fab me a new exhaust manifold using the old cxr flanges just using better gauge tubing and garuntee it for life against faliure or cracking or will replace or repair that way i dont have to modifiy down pipe and i reinforced my exhaust with support brackets to take some weight of down pipe wich obviously adds extra strees on the cxr manifold kevin sold me a new one for 50 dollars beacause i went to complain to his face about poor quality
That sounds great. At this point I kind of wish I had done the same. My only reservation is the suspicion that any 304 mani will crack in time. Even Dezod's AAA schedule 40 log cracks. Of course a lifetime warranty will ease the pain if and when.

The new DP has turned out to be a serious PITA. 2.5" can't be mandrel bent sharply enough to clear the rad hose so we had to cut and weld the first bend. We've spent about 6 hours on it now and the dump tube and O2 bung still aren't done. All in all, 8 hrs work, $100 in material, $250 for a Tial WG. It's a good thing I'm having a friend of a friend do it for only $200 labor.

A stronger 304 mani would have been much easier.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This idea is dead. We didn't make a jig for the DP and it was too much work to make this cut'n weld DP anyway. I wanted to throw some business to my fab guy but I'll be doing him a big favor by not doing so. Once I install the DP, I won't be pulling it off to make a jig.

If anyone wants a XB2 DP to mate with the Treadstone mani, contact Ancla Motorsports in FL.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phantomxb
Any news?