Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

How reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How reliable?

Not sure if there is a thread for this, Looked but didn't see anything. But I was wondering who has a turbo? What all is done? How miles are on the car? Also any issues you have had?

Sorry if there is a thread for this already
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member

I have one! Descendant Racing Turbo Kit...the ABSOLUTE BEST kit out there in my opinion. My xB is my daily driver, and boy is it a BUNCH of fun! =)
Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a thread in the TC1 FI area that you might want to search for. There are a LOT more boosted TCs and a lot more feedback on long term boosted reliability.

I've been turbo-charged for 2 years and about 25K miles now. I had my share of problems with engine management "piggybacks" but mechanically I've had zero issues since upgrading to a reliable exhaust manifold and don't expect any. IMO the keys to long term reliability are do it right from the start and don't push it too far. Stay at or below 300 BHP with a good tune and you should go over 100k miles reliably. Keep in mind though that the risk of catastrophic engine failure goes way up when you're pushing your engine way past it's very conservative design limitations and safeguards. A dirty or failing MAS, O2 sensor, dirty fuel inj's, exhaust leaks, etc. can have more serious consequences than they would on a stock engine.