Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

MANUAL SWAP ISSUE (return fuel issue?)--- Also buying AEM EMS!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default MANUAL SWAP ISSUE (return fuel issue?)--- Also buying AEM EMS!!

Hey everybody!

Background:

So a few weeks ago, I finally completed my automatic to manual swap. I was getting extremely bored with the automatic transmission, and just decided to get it done. So I did. Stage 4 Comp. Clutch - I love it. Anyways, it ran EXCELLENT, took it to the track, mid/high 13s with a conservative tune to test how everything responded to the manual transmission. (I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC ECU).

Issue:

So, we decided all was going well, and started our return fuel system with a DW 300 pump. Everything went just fine, up until random misfires. I mean, RANDOM misfires. Sometimes we would be able to do a full 1st - 3rd pull under full load without ONE misfire. Then we'd just be cruising and get misfires from 2,000 - 4,000 RPM. We ASSUMED that it was the fuel pump not getting enough voltage to regulate the fuel under higher loads, so we added a relay. It fixed the problem for a few hours... then it came back.. WORSE. I mean, the fuel was breaking up while we were IDLING. It doesn't make sense. So we pulled out a scanner, and we noticed that the ECU was pulling a RIDICULOUS amount of timing. I'm unable to add timing (stupid fix anyways...) as I'm running an FIC. Then, we looked a little more, and noticed the LOAD on the ECU was 100%???? At 10% throttle???

What we're attempting now:

I ordered a manual ECU the other day, and it should arrive today. We're going to swap it and see what happens. I believe the automatic ECU is just going nuts. I really don't get why it would randomly start pulling timing and saying it was 100% load?? Maybe the addition of the return fuel setup just threw it off it's edge? Would be great to get some opinions.

ALSO --- I MIGHT be on the market for some sort of AEM EMS... let me know.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RJSCION
Hey everybody!

Background:

So a few weeks ago, I finally completed my automatic to manual swap. I was getting extremely bored with the automatic transmission, and just decided to get it done. So I did. Stage 4 Comp. Clutch - I love it. Anyways, it ran EXCELLENT, took it to the track, mid/high 13s with a conservative tune to test how everything responded to the manual transmission. (I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC ECU).

Issue:

So, we decided all was going well, and started our return fuel system with a DW 300 pump. Everything went just fine, up until random misfires. I mean, RANDOM misfires. Sometimes we would be able to do a full 1st - 3rd pull under full load without ONE misfire. Then we'd just be cruising and get misfires from 2,000 - 4,000 RPM. We ASSUMED that it was the fuel pump not getting enough voltage to regulate the fuel under higher loads, so we added a relay. It fixed the problem for a few hours... then it came back.. WORSE. I mean, the fuel was breaking up while we were IDLING. It doesn't make sense. So we pulled out a scanner, and we noticed that the ECU was pulling a RIDICULOUS amount of timing. I'm unable to add timing (stupid fix anyways...) as I'm running an FIC. Then, we looked a little more, and noticed the LOAD on the ECU was 100%???? At 10% throttle???

What we're attempting now:

I ordered a manual ECU the other day, and it should arrive today. We're going to swap it and see what happens. I believe the automatic ECU is just going nuts. I really don't get why it would randomly start pulling timing and saying it was 100% load?? Maybe the addition of the return fuel setup just threw it off it's edge? Would be great to get some opinions.

ALSO --- I MIGHT be on the market for some sort of AEM EMS... let me know.
Hey man how much did this come out to be cuz I'm looking into doing the same thing I really want mine manual
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nava89
Hey man how much did this come out to be cuz I'm looking into doing the same thing I really want mine manual
I have a manual and really want an automatic now.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2011xb4me
I have a manual and really want an automatic now.
I would but I still owe 8k and it has 98k I wouldnt want to screw u over cuz my engine feels like its going out cuz I drive mine everyday all day
How many miles on urs
And also I got big plans for mine I still want that 2jz
Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an awesome auto tranny/ecu/mounts for $200 if you're interested from my 5 speed swap.

Apologies for thread troll, glad someone else got a 5 speed swap done! Did you take any pictures at all? I was planning on doing a write up, but as there were 2 of us..there really wasn't any "picture time".

I would definitely recommend putting in the manual ecu, I did, and have had ZERO problems. Hopefully it solves your issue!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how much dose it come out for the conversion and dose anyone have pictures
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I paid about $1500 total.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would but I still owe 8k and it has 98k I wouldnt want to screw u over cuz my engine feels like its going out cuz I drive mine everyday all day
How many miles on urs
And also I got big plans for mine I still want that 2jz
i only have 18k on mine. i wasnt talking about trading cars. just the trans and all other parts for a manual to auto swap.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One downside to factory engine management systems that are so sophisticated that they can tell which spark plug is misfiring or actively change ignition timing in a millisecond to adjust to differing fuel octane/quality is that they typically do not allow for major system changes like a transmission swap from auto to manual. The MT ECU should fix all your issues unless those issues are being caused by the FIC or other mods to the oem system.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i only have 18k on mine. i wasnt talking about trading cars. just the trans and all other parts for a manual to auto swap.
Hey bro when ever your ready ill do it cuz I really want a 5speed
Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey bro when ever your ready ill do it cuz I really want a 5speed
anytime.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[QUOTE=2011xb4me;4068727]anytime.[/QUOT were do live at and how long would it take if anyone knows
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
I paid about $1500 total.
Hey what are all the parts u need to do the swap so I could start looking for everything
Old 11-15-2012, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[QUOTE=nava89;4068797]
anytime.[/QUOT were do live at and how long would it take if anyone knows
I really wanted to do the swap, but i didnt think about my warranty. i dont want to void that.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUMP
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
BUMP
HA.... Injectors............

3 1/2 months... injectors....

Car is back on the road as of 1/12/2013... Return system is on and running, manual ECU is in, still running the FIC (the AEM EMS 4 is not worth it). Driving it this week to get used to the manual transmission again then re-tuning.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So it was the injectors? What happened when you switched ecu's? What got you to the injectors?

Sent from my right foot during a run from the cops
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Naval_xB
So it was the injectors? What happened when you switched ecu's? What got you to the injectors?

Sent from my right foot during a run from the cops
Yeah, all four injectors were bad. 3 were rebuilt and one was stuck open and beyond repair. Thanks to RC Engineering, they sent me over a spare injector. Ran perfectly after that.

When we switched ECUs? Do you mean from auto to manual? Nothing, I believe you can keep your auto ecu if you do a swap. If you meant going to aem ems 4, it's not worth it. You have to manufacture more things to work alongside it because it has trouble picking up some signals.

I actually recommended to check injectors in November on the recommendation of Descendant. My tuner was very certain it couldn't be NEW injectors. So I told them to check it one more time, and it ended up being all four.

Car is running great now, tuned it, and FINALLY had it dyno'd for the first time. 320 WHP, 280 TQ on a mustang dyno.