Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Well..I might be joining the boosted club

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Well..I might be joining the boosted club

But I don't have any engine management!

No, nothing is on the car, I'm not running boosted with not tuning/etc.

I just bought a used descendant kit, but he sold the aem fic and injectors before I got a hold of him to purchase the kit.

I was looking around, and it seems like lots of people with older FIC's had to add resistors/etc.

Would I be able to run a newer aem fic with a plug and play harness with no problems, or would I need to "customize" my brand new engine management system?

I figured the best people to ask would be those who are boosted now!

Any suggestion on engine management and injectors?

thanks guys!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Id call world racing torrance 310-583-8900 they the ones that produce, sale, and install the descendant kit so sure they could suggest best set up depending on your wants.

welcome to the family

you'll love boosted toaster

I'm at 10psi about 300 whp daily driven for a year all great. Surprisingly i average 25mpg ^_^
Old 06-16-2012, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

/\I second that above /\

You could search on here for used ems and injectors too.

Congrats though Roller Toaster, I'm jealous!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member

I'm really interested in getting a turbo kit. My main concerns though are with me using the car as a daily driver and the fact that it's automatic...afraid it won't work out too well.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Descendant and PTuning both have kits for automatics and I trust their experience. I'm sure having the kit on the car and driving under normal conditions without racing or going into boost will have almost no effect on longevity of the car. As far as utlizing boost and having some fun as long as you stay within the 8-9 psi setting and have a certified tune, I'm certain that it will last many miles, but somewhere short of a completely stock car.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Nooooo! I forbade this from happening! Well, at least until I'm boosted. Which probably won't be any time soon.

Excited to see the outcome!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster

I just bought a used descendant kit, but he sold the aem fic and injectors before I got a hold of him to purchase the kit.

I was looking around, and it seems like lots of people with older FIC's had to add resistors/etc.

Would I be able to run a newer aem fic with a plug and play harness with no problems, or would I need to "customize" my brand new engine management system?

thanks guys!
Call Descendant , they will have all the answers.......... PS. Lucky you
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member

If I do decide to go this route in a year or so, it will be with the guys from Descendant. I know Fast Scions has a kit and it looks really nice, but I haven't heard much about personal experiences. I do not see myself racing other than once in a while, just for track times and curiosity of what my box will do. I just want heightened performance, as if I bought a car with a turbo from the manufacturer. I'm very interested in how your kit works out for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Totally worthy, with the descendant kit the tuner Got 310whp at 11psi on just 2 pulls at the dyno on everything else stock but the TRD muffler. I also Got the AEM EMS wich has saved me from lots of trouble and possible major damage caused because of me not knowing much about turbos. They also help a lot.

Last edited by scionxbpr; 06-22-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to hear! I wish that ems2 didn't have QUITE such a large number next to it though..That's a bit high when you still have to buy a $500 harness to even hook it up to your car.

BUT, it is obviously proven that it works well!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster

thanks guys!
The resistors were added to reduce/eliminate misfiring caused by the FIC's inability to accurately read the crank and cam sensors. Boomslang installs them into the harness so you wouldn't need to mess with it. AFAIK Descendant also adds resistors to their harness, which was but may or not still be made by Boomslang. Check with them to verify.

Although I had nothing but headaches with the FIC, those issues could have been related to my problematic Boomslang harness or even my TSB-affected oem harness. The FIC is no where near a standalone but it's proven adequate for many 300whp 2AZ builds. It's very easy to tune and IMO the closed loop fuel control is a must.

I highly recommend Deatschwerks injectors unless you find a much better deal on something else like used RCs. DW are PnP with the oem harness whereas others require special adapters or splicing. 550cc is generally the best size for a stock block setup unless you plan on running E85. To run E85 you would need to upgrade your fuel system with a new pump, lines, rail, FPR, etc.

Good luck bro!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would LOVE to run E85...but there is ONE station in my entire city.

The wife and I just moved into a new house, so the hairdryer is still on a shelf, as I don't have the $ for the harness, fic or injectors at the moment :/