Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

what are the rumors about the tC trd supercharger breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:34 AM

Default what are the rumors about the tC trd supercharger breaking?

I've heard stories about the trd supercharger breaking...mounts and compressor shaft. Also hear that Vortech can strengthen the weak parts with better stuff solving the whole problem all together. Can anyone confirm these stories? Does anyone know if the 08 xb will be covered under warranty even with the trd supercharger since its not officially coming out for the xb2? I wouldn't think it would.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Earlier revisions of the supercharger for the tC had oil leak issues coming from the main bearings, as well as the bracket on the pulley end cracking and improper installation resulting in failures. I haven't looked into it recently and haven't heard any new stories of issues with the s/c. The very first thing I did when I was shopping around for the new xB was pop the hood to see if it'd fit. If I remember correctly, the supercharger sits just about where our batteries do.

As far as the warranty goes, TRD offers a 3 year 30,000 mile warranty on the supercharger, but if you pay for it when you sign the papers for your car, it falls under the power train warranty. The xB2 would be the same. I've been thinking of relocating the battery which should theoretically get rid of the problem, unless the xB has a different base tune than the tC.

Personally I've been thinking of running a mild turbo setup, something reliable that won't cause excessive wear on the powertrain
Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

several things wrong, trd sport parts have a 1 year, 12,000 warranty if you install them yourself, but if installed by a dealer, they join your powertrain warranty.

now, ofcourse, if trd doesn't make a supercharger specifically for the xb2, then it will not be covered by any sort of warranty, and thus thusly void your warranty on your engine same way an aftermarket turbo system would.

anyway, vortech doesn't actually make the entire kit for the tc supercharger, i think all they really make is the supercharger itself, the rest of the parts that make it fit and work with the tc is done by toyota. i'm just guessing ofcourse, but i think that vortech makes the supercharger, the rest, like the transmission braket and such is toyota.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I pesonally wouldnt buy it... drove a TC at the dealership.. one with it in one without it in .. not worth it.. I coulnt really feel any differance..
Old 01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, the sense of acceleration with the supercharger isn't there like it is with a turbocharger because the boost in power delivery is linear instead of a suddent surge in power.

now, it wasn't worth it when the tc and supercharger were new and it cost about 4100 installed by a dealership for 40 whp, but now that the 05-06 are avaliable for under two grand from sparks, it is a very decent investment.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM

I agree...went for a ride in my buddies supercharged tc and yes, it was sweet, but i didn't have the seat of my pants effect like turbos put out. He had mentioned something about reinforcing the mounting bracket on his. Whatever the case, I'm gonna need more power than what I felt. Since the warranty would be void anyways.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A friend of mine, bought an 08 tc last month with a super charger, and had to have it replaced due to a defect, unfortunately the dealership was real quick to put it in when he ordered it, but they are now taking thier time replacing it.
It has already been over a week since they had it and the parts.