Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

adding optional Premium Alpine touch screen radio to 2011 XB

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default adding optional Premium Alpine touch screen radio to 2011 XB

Hello folks,

I have a 2011 Scion XB with the base stereo(Pioneer T1814) and while I like the radio I got a good deal on the Alpine touch screen radio that was offered in 2010-2011. It was in a 2011 tC and was a cast off the owner of the car bought the car new and it came with it but he wanted a radio with a bigger screen and a built in navi system.

I looked at the back of the new radio and it has a bunch of connectors. I got a pic of the back of the Pioneer radio that is in my car from the internet and it has several connectors on it also. The bottom line is that the Apline radio has all the connectors that I had on my Pioneer and that i need.

It looks plug and play so that if I remove my radio I could plug this new radio into my car.

I will not have time to get to the radio until next week but I was wondering if the 2011 "Premium" Alpine touch screen radio is just plug and play or do I need to add some extra wiring? Besides what I would need if I got the navi or back up camera kits(which I have no intention of doing)

Thank
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure it should just plug and play. Mine came with the Alpine.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 PM

The Alpine radio has a ton of extra features you can add-on (backup camera, navigation, satellite radio, etc.) so it has extra connectors that your stock radio didn't have.

I found this post while searching around, and it does a good job of explaining exactly what each plug is.

And to answer your original question, yes, it's just plug and play. No extra wiring to worry about.

I have the Alpine in my 2010, and while I don't think it's worth the extra cost (I think mine was $500(!) at the dealer) I do really love that screen.

Have fun!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the replies

It came from a friend. I got it as "payment" for replacing the rear air shocks and compressor(both DOA) in his old man's 2003 Lesabre. This took me about 3 hours to do so it was a good deal

Thanks for the info on the plugs. I got around to putting it in last night. After reading up on the net on how to remove that center bezel around the radio, I set to work. The consensus on the net was that to remove it you put your fingers in the vents and gently pulled it towards you(and not yanking it) but it would not budge and not wanting to break a $65 bezel, I took the flat thin piece of plastic that the dealership name was attached to on an old license plate bracket then wedged it into the right lower corner and gave it a slight twist and the corner popped out and I was able to remove it. I did the same for that little lower trim that the bottom of the bezel clips to.

The only "issue" I encountered was that the metal dash brackets that the radio brackets bolt to have black plastic covering them except for the holes for the bolts. Well on the upper left bolt hole the plastic warped or was not attached perfectly at manufacture so it causes the bolt hole and the hole on the bracket to line up all the way if you put the other 3 bolts in first. I solved it by putting the bolt in the upper left bolt hole and made sure it did not cross thread and then put the other 3 bolts in. It looks good and I like the touch screen but it really is nothing to write home about
Old 05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah its a nicer system than the Pioneer. Most of the navigation, backup camera plug etc is discontinued and its hard to find anyways.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 PM

Whats up guys, Im new here and hoping that I can get some info from any of you guys here..any input will help and thank you guys in advance.
I recently replaced my 2013 XB's stock pioneer head unit with the alpine sns200 stereo/nav that came off my brothers tc. After the stock harness was all plugged in the sns200, everything else works fine EXCEPT for 2 things:
1) Hands free calling with my iPhone (i cant make or receive calls wirelessly, though the bluetooth for music works.).
2) When you play a DVD, the sound is present but no video..

Everything else seem to work fine..
Not sure if I need a specific harness to make everything work..
after all is plugged in the back of the unit, there are about 4 or 5 other ports that are empty..I know it has reverse cam, XM, etc capabilities..
If anybody can help me, THANK YOU THANK YOU