Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

amp install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default amp install

im about to install 2 kicker vr 10's and kicker zx 300 amp my question is about routing the power wire where is the best place to come through the fire wall also where do i go from there? under carpet ? through door sills? any pics would really help thanks.... i wanna make it look clean as possible
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont own and xb2 but look at the firewall and there should be a grommet with wires going throught it already..tape one end of you wire to a coat hanger and shove it through the grommet adn reach on the other side and pull it through. you can run it in the door sill . whichever is easiest
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

yep...use the grommet that is already thru the firewall...

it was a pain for me because i used HUGE 4 gauge wire
Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jiggaman
yep...use the grommet that is already thru the firewall...

it was a pain for me because i used HUGE 4 gauge wire
Hey, I used oversized 1/0

Also, look around a bit. A similar thread was just posted with lots of information pertinent to your question, and more.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179867
Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ok thanks alot guys one more question will my stock alternator be ok with this setup?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea you will be fine..i fit a 1/0 though that same grommet too. and your alt will be fine..do the big 3 and iff need be you can add a small audio battery or a cap. and you will be coool
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran a 4ga power cable through the passenger side electrical grommet. It's about 8" from the side wall and 8" below the top of the compartment.

1. Let the engine cool a couple of hours.
2. Make a hole cutter. Get a metal body pen of about 3/8-1/2" diameter and take it apart. Sharpen the wide barrel opening until it's sharp (320 grit wet and dry sandpaper works well). If you don't have a pen like that, go to a hobby/craft store and get brass tubing of appropriate diameter.
3. Use your cutter to make a clean hole in the grommet, taking care not to cut any wires. When the hole is made, stick a pencil through it; this will show where it is on the interior of the car.
4. Run the wire through the hole, leaving about 7ft to reach your battery. It'll go along the firewall to the driver side shock tower. Mount the fuse holder on the brace on the right of the car's main fuse compartment. Vacuum up any metal shavings.
5. I ran my cable down the centerline of the car; under the center console and back seat. You may need to notch out the bottom of the console so the wire won't get pinched. You'll need to take the seats off to get the console out. Any loose change, Starbucks cards, pens and old french fries may be removed at this time.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
Hey, I used oversized 1/0

Also, look around a bit. A similar thread was just posted with lots of information pertinent to your question, and more.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179867
I need to make my negative run still. 2 runs of 1/0... Going to be fun.

Ultimately I'd like to run a total of 4 runs of the Stinger flat 3/0...
Old 02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Skip the cap, just get a Optima yellow top.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In order to present both sides of the issue, I recommend an article by Rocketgyrl
Sound System Info, FAQ, and Myths (quotes from rocketgyrl) - Scionlife.com
She has a strong opinion on Optima batteries which are well grounded. Optima batteries are Bose of the battery world: well known, upper end price (infers quality), "everyone" swears by them. But like Bose, a little research will reap a better product for the money from another company or an equal product for less money.

I'm KaneoheKoa, and I approve of this message.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I was just researching batteries for my system...
I have a Optima D31T right now that I got from my friend for cheap.
Worked well, but I abused it and my system is way bigger now, so its time to upgrade.

While there are probably better choices for smaller batteries, the Optima Group 31 is a powerful battery that for most people will work well. Unless you're chasing every tenth in the metering lanes, a Optima D31 Yellow will work perfectly. Indeed there are other choices available, many of which are "better". But you pay for this.

Local prices for popular Group 31 car audio batteries (not online):
Optima D31T Yellow Top: $230
Odyssey PC 2150: $350
XS Power D3100: $435
Kinetik 2400: $550

These are all Group 31 batteries that have proven to be beefy enough for car audio. You'll notice that the Optima is actually the cheapest. Sure, maybe the Optima won't get you that extra half decibel, but at 140dB, half a decibel represents an unrecognizable increase in volume. A post on the TermPro forum stated a 0.6dB increase from an Optima D31 to a Kinetik 2400. You could add another Optima, have more reserve, and probably hit higher on the meter, for less then the price of the Kinetik. Another post stated a brand new Optima was 0.5dB LOUDER than a broken-in Kinetik. (Car batteries must be broken in to produce the most power, so the Optima was at a disadvantage) I don't see Optima as the "Bose" of batteries, much the opposite. I plan to run the Odyssey PC2150, its supposed to be a little better than the Optima, and have more initial burst amperage than the Kinetik, while still being well priced. It also has 25Ah more than the Optima. For the average car audio user, I believe the Optima D31 represents the best value. The only time I could see going with another brand is if you're competing, perhaps where only a certain number of batteries are allowed, or you're chasing every tenth.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Have you looked into the Deka 9A31's? I can get them local for about $175. Not bad, but not as good as the XS Power. Ultimately I do want to run XS Power.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, regarding that link, I respectfully disagree with some of the points made.
The Blue Top is the slowest (deep cycle), designed for marine use, and generally not a good idea for cars and/or car audio purposes.
The Blue Top is a dual purpose battery, for starting marine motors and trolling or running marine electronics. Marine motors tend not to have large alternators, so a deep cycle is ideal.

The Yellow Top is Optima's dedicated deep cycle. However, their largest model, the Group 31, is listed as a dual purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Another thing, the Group 31 Blue and Yellow Top are exactly the same internally, the difference is the posts. Marine terminals have a smaller negative or positive post, something like that. If the Group 31 Optimas weren't the same, the Blue Top would be more ideal than the Yellow.

AGM batteries can typically charge faster than regular flooded batteries, unlike flooded batteries, which tend to start boiling.

There are more, but I'll leave it at that. As always, take advice with a grain of salt. I take no offense to questions
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Have you looked into the Deka 9A31's? I can get them local for about $175. Not bad, but not as good as the XS Power. Ultimately I do want to run XS Power.
I have asked my battery man about the Deka Intimidators, but he doesn't carry them. I might have a cross reference for him to check though...