Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Any amplifier overheating issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Any amplifier overheating issues?

I installed my amp in the trunk compartment under the cover and it heats up a lot.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any issues with heat and what you did to address it.

Would installing it deeper in help with the heat or should I port some holes near the amp and run 12v fans to increase airflow?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both my JBL amps are installed INSIDE the rear quarter panels. (we fabbed up brackets to hold the amps) and they have never overheated, even in the 100+ degree summer weather here in PA. So basically, where your passengers would sit in the rear, is where my amps are (under the window glass) and the quarter panels were put back in. So my stuff doesnt even look like a system is installed. One amp for the subs is on one side, and the other that runs the components is on the other. My setup is on a tC, so I cant comment on the xb's interior.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Ya, I've seen some post recommending the under seat installation but in the XB 2011, the gas tank is installed flush against the frame, right below the back seat. I would advise against that because the frame is relatively thin and the tank is plastic and sits right up against it so you don't want to drill into your gas tank.

I think I just need to clear some "headspace" for the amp... Maybe give it a bit more room to "breathe"...

If anyone has any advice, shoot. Otherwise, I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The easiest way to cool the amp down is to mount a small 12v box fan onto the spare cover. If you have room, run the fan directly over the amp. If you live to carry stuff, I'd mount the fan near the corner and have it pull the air out of the spare compartment. You really don't need to have the fan blowing over the amp: the main goal is to keep drawing cool air into the compartment and sucking it out.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same recommendation, add a small fan to get the air moving over the amp. I did my amps between the spare and hatch floor and it worked fine but my amps had built in fans and are designed for force cooling. I wouldn't put normal amps there without adding cooling fans.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I made a new deck for the cargo area and installed a fan near the rear edge. Since the panel was wood, I was able to cut a modified Scion logo into it. The fan itself was mounted in the amp tray.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...orking+toaster
Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have mine directly under the rear seat, never had a issue whatsoever. I will say I have a class D amp that handles the heat much better,but even when I had a cheaper amp it never over heated much and when they do more then likely windows are down and would be able to get to the amp.