Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Connecting power to powered sub

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Connecting power to powered sub

Hi,

I got a '12 XB new last year and am just now getting around to working on stereo. Replaced stock speakers with Alpine 610/610S and very pleased with improvement. Plan to keep stock head unit, but would like to add a powered sub.

What I am looking for is an easy way to run power. I see that the Bazooka XB units (100 watt) run without running a wire to the battery, so there must be a way. I have not decided on sub yet, but not planning on huge power. Just want to add a little boost to low end, and put under passenger seat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BIJ
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Run it to the battery. The bazooka is a very low powered unit, but even it can be improved by running to the battery. Most aftermarket powered subs need the power feed that you get from the battery. The little bit of extra effort tin doing this makes a big difference in the longevity of the amp and the sound quality.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Always, always, always run your sub/amp power to the battery.

As far as suggestions I always had good luck with these Kicker Hideaways when I was installing professionally, so long as you truly only looking for a little low end boost and not thumping loud bass. Fits easily under the seat and all necessary wiring is included.

And the specs..

Subwoofer (in, cm)8, 20RMS power (watts), 14.4V150Frequency response (Hz)25-120Crossover12dB/octave low pass at 50-120Hz;
24dB/octave high pass at 25HzPhase switch0°/180°Input sensitivity:Low level125mV-5VHigh level250mV-10VKickEQ boostvariable to +6dB @ 40HzRemote bassincludedBox Depth (in, cm) 13-7/8, 35.2Box Height (in, cm)3-1/8, 7.94Box Width (in, cm)9-3/8, 23.8Weight (lbs, kg)9.4, 4.3
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 AM

Thanks, guys!

By chance, do you have a link for a somewhat easy way to do it? All the ones I have seen make me say, "there has to be a better way". Like taking off the dash, the windshield wipers, taking out the engine (kidding).... I can't believe everyone takes the whole dang car apart to run a silly power line.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by baroninkjet
Thanks, guys!

By chance, do you have a link for a somewhat easy way to do it? All the ones I have seen make me say, "there has to be a better way". Like taking off the dash, the windshield wipers, taking out the engine (kidding).... I can't believe everyone takes the whole dang car apart to run a silly power line.

Haha! Oh hell no, those are just people who don't know what they are doing, or are doing a whole bunch of other work at the same time. Just look for a rubber grommet in the firewall that has some spare space next to it, cut a slit in it and feed the wire through the slit to the engine compartment. Make sure you use wire loom over the wire, route it away from moving of hot parts, zip tie it in place at least every foot or so, and make sure you put a fuse between it and the battery terminal. If you have an automatic an old favorite of mine is to drill a hole where the clutch would go through the firewall, put a grommet in that and run the wire through there. With the xB if you really want to hide the wire you can go out through the side just above the kick panel and run it in the fender with the other wires there. This decently labor intensive though, as you need to remove the fender liner to do it.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Haha! Oh hell no, those are just people who don't know what they are doing, or are doing a whole bunch of other work at the same time. Just look for a rubber grommet in the firewall that has some spare space next to it, cut a slit in it and feed the wire through the slit to the engine compartment. Make sure you use wire loom over the wire, route it away from moving of hot parts, zip tie it in place at least every foot or so, and make sure you put a fuse between it and the battery terminal. If you have an automatic an old favorite of mine is to drill a hole where the clutch would go through the firewall, put a grommet in that and run the wire through there. With the xB if you really want to hide the wire you can go out through the side just above the kick panel and run it in the fender with the other wires there. This decently labor intensive though, as you need to remove the fender liner to do it.
There is a main wire harness coming into the car from the firewall on the driver side to the left of the brake. It actually has (for lack of a better definition) a rubber nipple that you can cut the end off and feed the wire through if your using 8-10awg. If your using larger you will wanted to drill a hole in the firewall, I also love the auto clutch plate method. If its a manual you can get one of these
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks, guys!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM

deleted...

Last edited by baroninkjet; 07-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.